Hi from Oregon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNWanderlust

Reaction score
Hi all,

Avid home cook here, always on the hunt to learn. I guess that’s what led me here.

I’ve been researching lately about Japanese knives and realized I really didn’t know much at all about great chef knives.

Still a beginner here, but here to learn and broaden my knowledge of Japanese knives.

Started sharpening my own knives about a month ago. Have a couple Shapton whetstones and a leather strop.

Also long time pocket knife collector.

Cheers!

Welcome....

Coming from the pocket knife world, are you familiar with Big Brown Bear/Deadboxhero?

Holy crap, I feel like I’ve been living under a rock since I didn’t know The Knife House existed. I’m definitely going there this week! Thank you for mentioning this.

This weekend I went to Seisuke Knife in town, a partner company of Japanny it seems, to handle some gyuto’s, just to get a feel for what I’d like, and I want to start with a gyuto, then get a Santuko, followed by a Nakiri. After handling some for a bit, I’ve got a better feel for what I’d like.

So far I like 240mm better than 210mm, something with a nice rounded choil, as I pinch grip, and something that has a bit of a flatter blade profile… say, fairly flat for the first ~50% of the knife then curving up to the tip. Also looking for something carbon steel (white 1,2 blue 1,2, super).

I own 2 SG2 knives, and a VG10… albeit they are manufactured (Shun Hiro, Norish). I’m sure the SG2/R2 and actual handmade knives before a lot better than these anyway but definitely want carbon steel.

So any suggestions for certain knife makers to start with would be a big help. I’ve been browsing a lot and have some ideas but any input helps. Budget is ~$600.

I also am not familiar with Big Brown Bear and Deadboxhero, was never huge into the forum pages, but also, into folders more than anything. Recently started getting into fixed blades, more for the bushcraft. I actually just recently preordered a Bark River Gunny Scandi 3V.. picked my handle choice and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap, I feel like I’ve been living under a rock since I didn’t know The Knife House existed. I’m definitely going there this week! Thank you for mentioning this.

This weekend I went to Seisuke Knife in town, a partner company of Japanny it seems, to handle some gyuto’s, just to get a feel for what I’d like, and I want to start with a gyuto, then get a Santuko, followed by a Nakiri. After handling some for a bit, I’ve got a better feel for what I’d like.

So far I like 240mm better than 210mm, something with a nice rounded choil, as I pinch grip, and something that has a bit of a flatter blade profile… say, fairly flat for the first ~50% of the knife then curving up to the tip. Also looking for something carbon steel (white 1,2 blue 1,2, super).

I own 2 SG2 knives, and a VG10… albeit they are manufactured (Shun Hiro, Norish). I’m sure the SG2/R2 and actual handmade knives before a lot better than these anyway but definitely want carbon steel.

So any suggestions for certain knife makers to start with would be a big help. I’ve been browsing a lot and have some ideas but any input helps. Budget is ~$600.

I also am not familiar with Big Brown Bear and Deadboxhero, was never huge into the forum pages, but also, into folders more than anything. Recently started getting into fixed blades, more for the bushcraft. I actually just recently preordered a Bark River Gunny Scandi 3V.. picked my handle choice and everything.

Big Brown Bear/Deadboxhero is Shawn Houston. I'm an unashamed fanboy of his. He started out as a sharpener at the Knife House and is now rather legendary. He's got a Spyderco collab coming out before too long.
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
I think you'll find some folks advising that Seiuske is a bit expensive.

As for knife inquires, reach out to the broader forum. I have limited experience but this forum is an awesome resource of information. Start a thread and use the following questionnaire:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/
This i

We all gotta be fans of something!

Awesome man. Thank you for the info. And I’m definitely going to be checking out Knife House.

The knife house is great. The staff is super knowledgable and they carry some really great stuff! Also the owner also started Steelport knife company which is in Portland as well. Seisuke is great as well but I will say their prices are really high...like really high sometimes.

Didn’t know Steelport and Knife house were related. I am familiar with steelport though. They make some beautiful knives over there.

Didn’t know Steelport and Knife house were related. I am familiar with steelport though. They make some beautiful knives over there.
You might want to take a trip out to Hillsboro and drop a goodbye to Westside Samurai. He's closing the shop.😪

No problem, I'll prob just go swing over there after work tomorrow as check it out.
Checking out Knife House this weekend, too.

Went to Seisuke the other week, nothing there that I wanted. Looking for something in AS (Gyuto) and they didn't have anything I liked.
Also... I'm left handed so it's a bit trickier to find something sometimes.

No problem, I'll prob just go swing over there after work tomorrow as check it out.
Checking out Knife House this weekend, too.

Went to Seisuke the other week, nothing there that I wanted. Looking for something in AS (Gyuto) and they didn't have anything I liked.
Also... I'm left handed so it's a bit trickier to find something sometimes.
Does Chubo Shibata 210mm R2 restock help?

Selling my Shun Hiro’s now. 210 and 240 on the way. So excited. Thanks to everyone in this community for all the knowledge. I’ve seriously been reading my ass off on the forum and I can’t wait for more.

And the trick with Seisuke is have them order from Japanny for you so you get more selection. When Japanny ships to Seisuke, it's Free Ship for you if you go pick. The 20off200 code still might work also.

Latest posts

Back