Hi from the UK/Canada, New knife collector

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon T

Reaction score
Hey all.
Just wanted to say Hi, I am from Canada but living in the UK.
I have just started buying knives, my first one the other day was a Wusthof Santoku
I am buying 3 more, Nakiri, Gyuto and possibly a small Chopper/Beater for bones.

Anyway, I am new to the forum so would like to know how to post a questions.

I joined another Chef forum but for some unknown reason they kept banning me for no reason, I asked my first question about a Tojiro and as soon as I asked, I was banned, very strange, I emailed them and said it was their mistake, so I posted another questions and they banned me again.. I thought something was not right, but seems they only have a few hundred members, so it seems they ban anyone they want, very frustrating when you want some friendly help.

Anyway, just thought I would say Hi, and hopefully I can start asking a few questions, as I want to spend a few hundred Pounds/ $500.00 for the US/Canada guys and do not want to waste my money.

Have a great weekend all.

Ha Ha, thanks for the welcome bkultra. It was very strange.
After everything got sorted out and they fixed the issue they banned me again, I tried to email them and it bounced back saying the address did not exist.
Its a well known website, maybe they did not like NOOB questions, or someone else.

I am looking at JCK as they are willing to put $20.00 for customs.
As I live in the UK, we have no where near the choice our US and Canada friends have.

I was looking at the Tojiro DP Nakiri but for $85.00 it just seems boring and lots of people saying they have to sand down parts of the blade as its sharp on the spine or edges.

I love the look of the Damascus, but will not buy a Shun as everyone says their knives chip like mad, and they blame the customers, even though the customers are Professional chefs.

I was looking at the Tanaka 17 layer VG10 Nakiri for $180.00 or the Yoshihiro Hammered VG10. The Yoshihiro is shiny and looks like the Shun so I am worried about the chipping, the Tanaka looks more like the Tojiro, very slight layering with no hammer effect.

I have to tell you its a mine field for Jknives for beginners.

I want to spend £150.00 for a Nakiri which is $170.00, will do the conversion since I can do it in my head Ha Ha .

Oh forgot to include the JCK Natures Nakiri, that looks amazing as well.

Welcome! Some forum crawling will give you sense of the preferred vendors for Japanese knives, at the budget range you referred to I would suggest taking a good look at japanesechefsknife.com and ask them any questions you may have, Koki is very helpful.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
This is something I have not taken lightly, I have spent 2 months of online crawling, reviews, forums ect..

Because its a JKnife it seems everyone has their favorites, like Handles and the steel and how easy it is to sharped for their particular style, my eyes look like knives just from the amount of threads I have went through.

I started with a max budget of £75.00 or $100.00 per knife, but upon reading all the threads, it seems if I want the best steel, non rusting and either Damascus or hammered look I need to spend a lot more money.

I know even at $150.00 the Damascus look is not going to be functional or help at all, but as the knives will be the first thing you see when you go into my kitchen, it would be mice to have some eye candy and pay a little extra, but without it hurting the function of the knife.

Anyway, I will post on the other thread, thanks so much for the welcome.

Thanks all.
Was born in the UK, we left when I was 2, then I decided to come back 19 years ago. I was raised in Manitoba and Alberta.

Have posted my checklist

Back