Hi greetings from SoCal!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daizone

Reaction score
Brand new to the site looking to start my knife collection. First experience with using a sharp knife was in a cooking class in Japan. Opened my eyes to what a decently sharp knife could feel like (despite all their knives being stainless/semi stainless). Ended up purchasing my first knife that same day, a basic 210mm gyuto made from gin3 ground with a slight lefty bias. I am looking forward to joining this community and learning all that I can.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Gyutos

Are you right or left handed? Left handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese octoganal

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210-240, 150

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Either as I am striving to improve my technique and working clean in the kitchen

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? Haven't set one yet

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? Mostly slicing, diving vegetable and cutting raw meat (no bone cutting I have a cleaver for that)

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Cheap big box named stuff

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) edge retention, knife feedback, takes a sharp edge

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes wood end grain and plastic for meats

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Not yet but want to learn

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Hmmm after looking upper range for a knife would probably fall somewhere around $500 max and for sharpening tools around $200ish total for stones?

Back