Hi. I am looking for a laser gyuto recommendation.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
EU

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
laser gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
preferably wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210mm to 270mm would be perfect

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no. I just recently started knife sharpening. And I found out that I enjoy sharpening carbon steel knives the most.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
minimum 200$ and max 500$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing vegetable, meat, fish

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
push cut, slice, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I am looking to replace my 210mm tojiro shirogami nr.1. I would like something in the lighter end and something that has somewhat of a flat belly.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
none

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Lighter knife, better handle material, want a balanced knife that is not front heavy.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
looking for a knife that will can push cutting through onion or carrot with very little resistance.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I don't mind sharpening once every one or two week

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
synthetic and wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes (started recently)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I would like a wa handle wood that is durable and moisture resistant.

Welcome.

210 - 270 is quite a range, you'll be well served to narrow that down a bit before a purchase. (There's a recent thread on here about "ideal length" but I left my google-fu at the office)

For a specific knife I'll suggest the Kashima from Cleancut. Close to laser with an incredibly thin edge. Just enough geometry for decent food release.

Welcome.

210 - 270 is quite a range, you'll be well served to narrow that down a bit before a purchase. (There's a recent thread on here about "ideal length" but I left my google-fu at the office)

For a specific knife I'll suggest the Kashima from Cleancut. Close to laser with an incredibly thin edge. Just enough geometry for decent food release.

thanks for the quick reply.

yeah i know that 210 - 270 is quite a range. I guess that 240 is my best pick, but I will look a bit more into that.
thanks for the suggestion.

I have now done a bit more research, and I have been looking a lot on the different masakage knives.
I have looked at this thread Review- Masakage Yuki 240 Gyuto
and now i am tying to figure out if i should get the yuki, the shimo or the koishi. (240 gyuto)
I would love to hear if any of you know something that can help me pick.

Konosuke HD2, GS+, or even the Swedish Stainless wouldn't be remiss at your budget.

Also, take a look at the Takamura red handled r2 210mm gyuto. I know it’s not a wa handle, but this knife at 180 bucks is probably the best one done knife available for the money. Laser for days. Also, I’d stick in the 200-300 range. Anything more for a laser is silly.

A $300 cap excludes the "original" lasers: Tad INOX, Suisin IH, Gesshin Ginga. None of these have great food release but they all have some - unlike most of the lessor offerings.

JNS is discontinuing the White steel knives and offering the White steel at a big discount. JNS will only be carrying this brand in Blue Steel after they sell these off. If you're interested act.

I have ordered the
Tanaka Yoshikazu Gyuto 240mm White 1 on sale from JNS. Most people on this thread seemt to like it a lot.
thanks to all of you for giving your opinions and sharing your experience. It was a great help :)

I have ordered the
Tanaka Yoshikazu Gyuto 240mm White 1 on sale from JNS. Most people on this thread seemt to like it a lot.
thanks to all of you for giving your opinions and sharing your experience. It was a great help :)
I'm sure you'll enjoy it and if somehow it's not your cup of tea you can unload it fast on BST. Let us all know what you think after you've had a chance to use it for a while.

Back