Hi, I'm Gyuto (and I'm pretty surprised this handle was still available)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gyuto

Reaction score
I am a career knife sharpener and former kitchen professional from Portland, OR. I'm happy to finally engage with this site (what took me so long?) and see what y'all are up to.

Welcome to the forums.

Thinking about it, Iguess I'm kinda surprised that your handle was still available too.

Do you have any nice knives to show off?

I’m also surprised that handle was available, but I won’t be Petty about missing it. 😂

Welcome to the forums! Some great knife makers in both the kitchen and folding knife worlds in your neck of the woods

The real question is, what length are you? :)
C25ED49F-1109-41A4-90E4-630FFA543328.gif

Welcome to the forums.

Thinking about it, Iguess I'm kinda surprised that your handle was still available too.

Do you have any nice knives to show off?
This is my current lineup on the wall, with more randos in a drawer.

LEFT GROUP:
Aritsugu Honesuki, Hirotomo Aogami #2 nakiri, Yoshikane SLD 210mm K tip gyuto, Konosuke SLD Sumiiro 240mm gyuto, Yoshikane/Tojiro SK(#?) 270mm gyuto, Mazaki Shirogami #2 300mm sujihiki, Tadafusa SLD 270mm sujihiki, Jiro Shirogami #1 240mm gyuto, T. Fujiwara Aogami Super 210mm Denka gyuto, Mazaki Shirogami #2 180mm petty, Yoshikane SKD 150mm petty

TOP RIGHT GROUP:
Mystery Chinese super market super heavy cleaver, Mystery Chinese super market heavy cleaver, Mystery Chinese super market cai dao, CCK KF2205

BOTTOM RIGHT GROUP:
Tojiro Bread knife, Steelport 52100 8” chef knife, Ryusen HAP40 180mm gyuto, F. Kanefusa FKH 180mm gyuto, Yoshikane SKD Bunka (modified from broken gyuto), M. Hinoura Aogami Super 150mm petty, Masahiro VC Honesuki, Unmarked Tosa 135mm Ryo Deba, Unmarked Tosa 100mm herb knife, Yata BD1N paring knife, Rando paring knife

Edit: Jonathan Alden magnetic bars, because people often ask

Attachments

• IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 48
I’m also surprised that handle was available, but I won’t be Petty about missing it. 😂

Welcome to the forums! Some great knife makers in both the kitchen and folding knife worlds in your neck of the woods
Yeah a lot of great makers, big and small, here!

I am a career knife sharpener and former kitchen professional from Portland, OR. I'm happy to finally engage with this site (what took me so long?) and see what y'all are up to.
Nice to have another pro sharpener/ex chef on the forum. So many rabbit holes to go down in this place, some really well informed opinions (occasionally) can be found (if you hunt and hunt)

Welcome to the rabbit hole, though from that wall of steel it looks like you’re a seasoned adventurer.

I’m in PDX as well, and still in the “trying to get my lantern lit” phase of my J knife journey lol. Been reading (and salivating) a lot, and sharpening my ****** knives a lot, and working up the courage to take the plunge.

This place is wild. My latest read was the old thread about @Kippington’s development of the “Hook grind”. Highly recommend it.

welcome!

maybe i just like punishing users, but i think it makes sense to blacklist generic usernames like this at registration (knife, blade, gyuto, santoku, nakiri, whetstone, shapton, etc).

not saying you should change your name. you snagged it fair and square!

but i would have pre-empted it if i were the admin.

welcome!

maybe i just like punishing users, but i think it makes sense to blacklist generic usernames like this at registration (knife, blade, gyuto, santoku, nakiri, whetstone, shapton, etc).

not saying you should change your name. you snagged it fair and square!

but i would have pre-empted it if i were the admin.
This is a username I've been using on other platforms for years, so I'm not just being cheeky here. I genuinely hoped for this name, and somehow got it!

Back