Hi! Need help with some whetstones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

Reaction score
Hi all, I am hoping to get some help with some stones I was recently gifted and I'll elaborate in the sharpening sub. This is all new to me and I'm looking forward to gaining some knowledge and in the future, a knife recommendation or two.

Welcome to the forum (and the rabbithole :D:p). Watch videos and ask around. Also good to meet up with somebody who knows and they can teach you some basic moves. I had a whetstone (King 1000/6000) for four years before I dared using it because I was afraid of me doing damage to the knife. Purchase some cheap knives to practice on and get that motor memory. Unless you really do your utmost best for too long time the probability of you ruining the knife beyond repair is not great :D

Thank you! I'm detail oriented so I'm looking forward to going down the rabbit hole. I have had a Sharpmaker for several years, which had kept me happy until recently, when the limitations started to become quite apparent. My options were to buy new triangle stones or to jump into the deep end. Easy enough decision for me.

Back