Hi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoda

Reaction score
Hello there, long time lurker, finally decidet to register amd maybe join a few discussions.
I love cooking, I'd love to own a nice Japanese knive (maybe two :) ..) someday, but for now my plain stainless steel ones will do.
I bought a combination wheat stone, but so far my attempts always ended up with a dull (maybe even duller) knive and sore fingers lol mind you I've made only a few attempts so far, but can't help but feel like there's no hope left anyway :p
Anyways, greetings from a lovely, little country (Slo)

Hello there, long time lurker, finally decidet to register amd maybe join a few discussions.
I love cooking, I'd love to own a nice Japanese knive (maybe two :) ..) someday, but for now my plain stainless steel ones will do.
I bought a combination wheat stone, but so far my attempts always ended up with a dull (maybe even duller) knive and sore fingers lol mind you I've made only a few attempts so far, but can't help but feel like there's no hope left anyway :p

Oh yeah, when I started sharpening my hands wound end up cramped and sore for a few days after attempting to sharpen one "plain stainless steel" knife lol
I am better now and can get a sharp edge but I still have to watch videos and such. Good luck!

Hi Yoda, I backed into sharpening by first using a "pull through" on my Wusthof. Almost impossible to fail. Then, I worked on developing my stroke when I was honing the knife just to keep going.

That made me more ready to go through a sharpening routine.

Oh yeah, when I started sharpening my hands wound end up cramped and sore for a few days after attempting to sharpen one "plain stainless steel" knife lol
I am better now and can get a sharp edge but I still have to watch videos and such. Good luck!
Omg, so it's not just me? Well that makes me feel more hopeful, thanks for sharing xD

I've tried a few times, last time used the marker (sharpie) to see if I got the right angle. I noticed I don't form a burr as nearly as quick as the people in the videos. Can it be really that much more difficult to sharpen a stainless steel knife x)..

Hi Yoda, I backed into sharpening by first using a "pull through" on my Wusthof. Almost impossible to fail. Then, I worked on developing my stroke when I was honing the knife just to keep going.

That made me more ready to go through a sharpening routine.
Pull through?.. I'll have to google that one first :)

Omg, so it's not just me? Well that makes me feel more hopeful, thanks for sharing xD

I've tried a few times, last time used the marker (sharpie) to see if I got the right angle. I noticed I don't form a burr as nearly as quick as the people in the videos. Can it be really that much more difficult to sharpen a stainless steel knife x)..
Welcome aboard, Yoda!
The sharpie is a very reliable instrument, providing you use a ĺoupe — 10x or so. You will see that often the very edge doesn't get reached at all. A burr is a difficult criterion, as with some steels it appears before the very edge got reached. Other steels are very hard to raise one on.
A lot of stainless steels aren't very simple to sharpen. The simplest, cheapest carbon are the easiest ones.
A reference for your sharpening angle may be helpful. When I started I made corks with an inclination that corresponds to common sharpening angles. After a while you will hardly use them — only sometimes for reference, perhaps. The exact value isn't that interesting, as long as you remain consistent — and the angle is reasonable.
20220714_080556.jpg

Have fun!

You may find a sharpening angle by moving the blade edge leading over a piece of cardboard or rough leather until it bites. The sharpening angle is a tad lower.
20220714_083058~2.jpg

20220714_083110.jpg

To the forums, welcome you are 😉.

You will get the hang of sharpening. Keep at it. Have younwatched the JKI and knifeplanet.net videos yet?

What kind of stone do you have?

Welcome to the forum. You can try touch you knife edge on the stone. You will be able to feel when the edge is flat touching the stone and that is your angle.

To the forums, welcome you are 😉.

You will get the hang of sharpening. Keep at it. Have younwatched the JKI and knifeplanet.net videos yet?

What kind of stone do you have?
A Naniwa combination stone 1000/3000.
Ooh..Ive watched A LOT of videos on sharpening xD many of them also from JKI.

I find it's just difficult for me to form a burr..maybe I'm pressing too gently (tho my fingers ache after a failed session xD) or maybe it's just that the steel is too hard and it'snot my faulty skills at all xD..🤭🙈🙉🙊

Welcome to the forum. You can try touch you knife edge on the stone. You will be able to feel when the edge is flat touching the stone and that is your angle.
Thats how I've been "determining the angle" so far.. or so I thought x)

Welcome fellow European. I remember the day i wanted a japanese knife and then two and then three and well it's getting out of hand but i love it.

Sharpening is just practice, getting the technique down and it will come. I started and was total crap, but i didn't let that get me down and would focus a lot more on angle, pressure and just going slow. Some even do it in sections at the beginning to help them out. Good luck with your sharpening journey it is fun.

Welcome fellow European. I remember the day i wanted a japanese knife and then two and then three and well it's getting out of hand but i love it.

Sharpening is just practice, getting the technique down and it will come. I started and was total crap, but i didn't let that get me down and would focus a lot more on angle, pressure and just going slow. Some even do it in sections at the beginning to help them out. Good luck with your sharpening journey it is fun.
Thanks! Haha, that's how I feel it's gonna go for me once I get my first one :)

P.s.got the stone soaking as I type x) feels like sundays are getting to be my sharpening days

Thanks! Haha, that's how I feel it's gonna go for me once I get my first one :)

P.s.got the stone soaking as I type x) feels like sundays are getting to be my sharpening days
I ask my GF if she loves me and her reply now is "What knife and how much was it?" Hahaha but she is a keeper.. she loves the fact that i do all the dinner prep and cook a lot especially since getting my knives.

I love sharpening as well now and it took a while to realize you can actually get a razor sharp edge on a 400 and from there you just refine it, I totally thought you need those high grit stones when i first started. But sharpening as a home cook is few and far between since we don't have the throughput that a pro kitchen has daily.

I ask my GF if she loves me and her reply now is "What knife and how much was it?" Hahaha but she is a keeper.. she loves the fact that i do all the dinner prep and cook a lot especially since getting my knives.
Haha thats awesome :D

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a coarser stone too... maybe a 600 grit one

I was thinking it migth be easier for me to form an edge on a coarser one also because it might be easier to "enforce" the angle I'm holding the blade at on a coarser stone (since I'm probably not really holdingit at the same anglethe edge is set)+ who knows how many times ive changed the angle a bit while sharpening, maybe my edge even got a bit concave because of that..

Just wanted to share, I've finally managed to sharpen a knife today :) some time in sharpening I noticed it felt differently - like the muscles in the left and right arm finally synchronized and the blade just slid more easily on the stone xD
It cut through paper nicely, but not at all parts, so I got a bit greedy, wanted to "fix it" a bit more, and ended up dulling it more again xD aaaah..but it's still sharper than last week so im happy

Back