Hidden Gems

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillHanna

Gotta get ready for ARM
Reaction score
What's up, y'all? Howzabout we start naming some makers who don't get enough attention. What kind of forgy goodness is out there that you think is up and coming, or already there? Who is the Little Richard to someone's Elvis? What Tesla is out there getting overshadowed by some Edison?

Matsubara is overall pretty awesome. Tall and thin performance similar to my Chinese cleaver, with a dash of rustic charm of a TF, combined with quality steel, and coming in at an attractive price point.

I feel like I want to hear more about Radiona Breg, or maybe I’m moving in the wrong circles.
Bregs 1.jpg

Bregs 2.jpg

Kyohei Shindo.

I had the pleasure of trying a bunka, sub $100 knife, super thin behind the edge and overall a joy to use. There's actually one on BST right now, and sugicutlery carries some as well !

Yoshimi Kato. Makoto Kurosaki. Matsumi Hinoura. Takumi Ikeda. Kohetsu. Moritaka. JCK house brand. Sukenari. Narra. Jamie Nerkowski.
How about OVERRATED?

you cant have an overrated thread that doesnt get derailed because 1. people invest too much ego in their purchases and take it personally 2. you just get pictures of a particularly grumpy smith anyway

you cant have an overrated thread that doesnt get derailed because 1. people invest too much ego in their purchases and take it personally 2. you just get pictures of a particularly grumpy smith anyway
3. these knives (overrated or not) are usually good or very good compared to grocery store knives so they all serve their purpose which is cutting. so buyers can always claims they like them whether the knife is overrated or not. Miyabi's users are mostly happy before coming to KKF.

Goko Hamono (or Gokoo Hamono) for their nashiji White 1 Wabi-Sabi blades and their Kogetsu monosteel SK-5 and White 1 Kanto style western handle Gyutos. They are amazing!
DSC05681_48a9d4f1-965b-4101-9c16-45f9b56b7f81_1080x.jpg
DSC05690_1080x.jpg
IMG_20210909_141607_edit_689528842603639_600x.jpg
IMG_20210909_141821_edit_689583323218735_600x.jpg

My Goko Nashiji was much worse than "Wabi Sabi." Mine came with a hole in the edge due to some pretty severe overgrinds. ended up taking almost 3mm off its total height during the repair. Your sample looks better in every single way. Mine was much thicker in general, but especially behind the edge.

Their SK/W#1 Westerns are great though.

Takeo Murata
Sukenari

Mazaki is a hype train, but I'd say he'd be underrated without the hype, if that makes any sense. Ok now that I've said it, doesn't make sense to me all of a sudden. Can someone essplain this please?

Moritaka is overrated. So is Hinoura.

Takeo Murata
Sukenari

Mazaki is a hype train, but I'd say he'd be underrated without the hype, if that makes any sense. Ok now that I've said it, doesn't make sense to me all of a sudden. Can someone essplain this please?

Moritaka is overrated. So is Hinoura.

which Hinoura? I dont think Mutsumi is really on the hype train. I really do love mine maybe Im part of the problem though.

re Mazaki, I mean a year ago he was selling Sanjo sized 240s with really even bevels and super hard white 2 for well under 300 dollars it was the best deal going by a mile.

I think that's exactly what I meant with Mazaki. Also, killer distal taper, quality handles, and a working finish you didn't mind tuning up yourself. Plus, just a good high-quality grind (from what I used anyway). If I hadn't declared Butlerian Jihad on all my iron-clad rust-magnets, I'd still have it. If he ever makes stainless/wrought clad, I'll be back

which Hinoura? I dont think Mutsumi is really on the hype train. I really do love mine maybe Im part of the problem though.

re Mazaki, I mean a year ago he was selling Sanjo sized 240s with really even bevels and super hard white 2 for well under 300 dollars it was the best deal going by a mile.
I do not consider Mizaki underrated. The boy has a five year wait list.

I do not consider Mizaki underrated. The boy has a five year wait list.
Agreed, anyone pulling $1.5k+ for a sanmai blade with a basic handle is definitely not underrated, in fact I would say its the complete opposite. Of course there are one or two notable exceptions who come to mind.

Back