High-End Carbon Steel Pan Recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's high in the center, similar to the screenshot above, but it's high enough that liquids/fats will accumulate around the edges of the pan a bit, rather than evenly spread. the Darto ad specifically states that liquids will not accumulate on the sides (thus, good).

are you certain the de buyer was flat to begin with via testing? your use of the word cycling is unclear to me (e.g. was this cooking or seasoning).

a lot of manufacturers are sending pans out like that because of the increasing popularity of induction.

Of the various carbon steel pans I've used, Matfer hits the sweet spot. Vollrath is too lightweight for high heat, and De Buyer is nearly as heavy as cast iron. Matfer is sturdy and functional without being overbuilt. Due to frequent use, mine have developed and hold a shiny, dark seasoning and a slick cooking surface. Although I primarily cook in stainless-lined thicker copper pots and pans (Mauviel and Falk), carbon pans have a definite place in the kitchen for high-heat sauteing and roasting.

dartos.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

darto press.jpg

Scroll right to see some video of the searing power in action.

Roasts chicken well:

And catches the drippin's from a roast chicken too:

Frying a bird, searing some endive.

Has anyone tried the Spring USA carbon steel skillet? KaTom has them for about $100. They look good. Welded handles and they look pretty thick. They also have some low budget carbon skillets from another manufacturer for about $20.

are you certain the de buyer was flat to begin with via testing? your use of the word cycling is unclear to me (e.g. was this cooking or seasoning).

a lot of manufacturers are sending pans out like that because of the increasing popularity of induction.
It's a fair question, because I've asked myself the same thing. Fact is I don't recall exactly, I think it was flat (or flat enough not to attract any attention originally), but I'm not positive either, since it only shows up when cooking with lesser amounts of oil. It may well be part of their induction friendly design for larger diameter pans, but either way, it's not optimal for how I cook (on gas), thus my interest in the large Darto 4mm thick pans.

And to be clear, I'm a long time user and total fan boy of the De Buyer Carbone Plus line, have two each in 28 and 26 cm, and they all have stayed dead flat after years of excellent service.

https://www.dartointernational.com/pre-sale
Darto “pre-sale” starts January 18 and goes for one week. The #27 pan is offered at 4mm during the sale at its same price as normal. I have one from a previous year, and it sits on my stove top getting frequent use. Also weighs 6lbs so the stove top is partially driven by laziness :)

I'm really liking the Mineral B Pro 11 inch pan.

It has held its seasoning way better than other carbon steel I've used and the handle is really great. I'm surprised by how much I like it to be honest.

I have had and tried most of the carbon pans - but not Darto which is now on my list. Recent pans include Netherton Foundry oak scale handle 24 cm - thin but heats very well and came pre seasoned. Gräwe Wax Pro 28cm is a heavy wrought 3mm at least - came raw but was a delight to season - came with a silicon sleeve handle which works better than anticipated. I would definitely buy Darto to try in future and another Gräwe Wax Pro.

I actually needed the 35 paella. Kinda hard to legitimize another frying pan when I already have like 10 of those. Who knows maybe next time I'll get the 4mm thick 30cm one... it is at least thicker than the De Buyers after all...

I actually needed the 35 paella. Kinda hard to legitimize another frying pan when I already have like 10 of those. Who knows maybe next time I'll get the 4mm thick 30cm one... it is at least thicker than the De Buyers after all...
Picked one up. Will be my first carbon and for $60 after shipping, can’t beat that price

Picked one up. Will be my first carbon and for $60 after shipping, can’t beat that price
You actually can... De Buyer tends to run significantly cheaper here (in the 30 euro ballpark). But there's a lot to say for the one-piece design Darto offers, and the 4mm thickness on some of the larger models is something I haven't seen from any of the other more affordable brands.

You actually can... De Buyer tends to run significantly cheaper here (in the 30 euro ballpark). But there's a lot to say for the one-piece design Darto offers, and the 4mm thickness on some of the larger models is something I haven't seen from any of the other more affordable brands.
I guess I’m talking about the 4mm design specifically - the cheapest I see a de buyer 11inch is $70 by me. So that’s comparable.

I suppose if I was going for smaller pans I’d be able to go quite a bit cheaper

I ordered the 35 paella pan. I want to try a 4mm thick carbon steel pan. It sounds like we will receive them in September?
It cost $50 plus $15 shipping to my US address.

Welp thanks all, bought a 35 paella and a 30 skillet! Appreciate the heads up.

Oops, I misread the initial email from Darto. The sale is indeed limited to one item per person, not just one unit of each item. Apologies if I caused any problems for anyone!

Back