High end frying pan recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fully prepared to believe that the Stargazers are awesome. And I am not tempted by them in the least, because I have reached my cast iron nirvana, and it says Griswold on the bottom.

If I could have found a 12" Griswold that wasn't warped or cracked for the $145 my Stargazer cost, I'd be game to give it a try. My Griswold searches over the past three years have been fruitless because of the high prices or warped and cracked skillets on offer for what I paid for my Stargazer.

If I could have found a 12" Griswold that wasn't warped or cracked for the $145 my Stargazer cost, I'd be game to give it a try. My Griswold searches over the past three years have been fruitless because of the high prices or warped and cracked skillets on offer for what I paid for my Stargazer.

I did not know that things had become like that. I got my big one for about that, and a set of three smaller ones for less than that, but it was some years ago. I guess they got discovered. Unfortunate.

but it was some years ago. I guess they got discovered.

There has been a pretty large revival in cast iron... a lot of the 'good' old stuff has been grabbed and the prices on ebay (etc...) have been steadily climbing over the past decade?? The collectors market has also inflated prices. You could argue that this is why companies like Stargazer exist... there is enough demand for high-quality cast iron - people are seeing it as a useful tool in the kitchen... not something antiquated their grandparents used to use....

Given how difficult it can be to find 'good' old skillets (and more difficult in younger countries), I would just buy a new fancy one and save myself the hassle/cost.

stargazer handles are WAY better than most other cast iron, the lip is super useful, and it's just more maneuverable.

Sure, you can sand a Lodge down and smooth out the rough edges and rough casting but, that won't fix the thin short hot handle or the heavy sides affecting the balance

I agree with these assessments. I dont have any new, fancy cast iron. I have Lodge and I have sanded some of them down. They are fine skillets. But... Their handles are short and stubby (hot).... The side walls are thick. The pouring lip is not amazing. You can't fix these issues.

I dont mind the thick walls but it adds weight. A 10" lodge skillet is manageable for me. The 12" the skillet is bordering on too heavy. I can manage it one handed when it is relatively empty. For now. I only imagine this will get more difficult as I age. When it is full... forget about it. Dont even mention larger sizes!

my personal advice is get 1 nicer cast iron in the main size you use and then for your lower use sizes it's not as important.

Given the weight issue... I would also add: the bigger your preference, the more worthwhile a 'modern' skillet may be from a handling point of view. Thick cast iron is heavy!!

I did not know that things had become like that. I got my big one for about that, and a set of three smaller ones for less than that, but it was some years ago. I guess they got discovered. Unfortunate.

About 3 years ago I quit my ~2 year search for a good Griswold skillet. I was on a couple of cast iron forums and got daily eBay listings but, finding one that was flat and uncracked was mission impossible.

Everyone always talked about finding the "perfect" one in a garage sale or some second-hand shop. They have been hyped up so much that today, people treat warped and cracked Griswold skillets like they are made from gold today in my experience.

I agree with these assessments. I dont have any new, fancy cast iron. I have Lodge and I have sanded some of them down. They are fine skillets. But... Their handles are short and stubby (hot).... The side walls are thick. The pouring lip is not amazing. You can't fix these issues.

I dont mind the thick walls but it adds weight. A 10" lodge skillet is manageable for me. The 12" the skillet is bordering on too heavy. I can manage it one handed when it is relatively empty. For now. I only imagine this will get more difficult as I age. When it is full... forget about it. Dont even mention larger sizes!

Given the weight issue... I would also add: the bigger your preference, the more worthwhile a 'modern' skillet may be from a handling point of view. Thick cast iron is heavy!!

Lodge cast iron skillets as bought at Wal-Mart and similar big box retailers are a bargain in a serviceable skillet. You can do simple things to improve them like sanding the casting down but, that won't address its main weaknesses.

The hot stubby handles make handling difficult. The thick sides make handling even worse. Pouring out hot grease might work in the prairie from your covered wagon but, in my kitchen, it just makes a big mess generally.

If I find myself somewhere out and about in my travels and need a skillet, a Lodge skillet will find itself in service in my "kitchen" whether at a campsite or in a hotel kitchenette. Non-stick aluminum skillets may be cheap and carry easy but, they don't work very well on a campfire or cheap electric coil burner and they won't brown meat worth a darn or put a nice tasty crust on a steak.

Whether I buy a 10" Stargazer to put in my travel kit remains to be seen.

Speaking from my personal experience, I can "one-hand" my 12" Stargazer much easier than I can a 10" Lodge skillet. The stress on my wrist and the control I have with the Stargazer is simply better.

As I get older and my wrists get worse, I may find myself using the HELPER HANDLE. If that's the case, the STARGAZER helper handle is significantly better. It stands out further from the skillet sides so, no burned knuckles. It is wider so, it doesn't cut into my hand. The grip itself is nice and wide so it is much easier to hold!

My stargazer is amazing, and the handle can’t be beat, but my butter pat is just as good and you can buy a glass lid to go with 🤷🏼‍♂️

I looked hard at Butter Pat myself. I would love to hear your comparison of it and the Stargazer.

I prefer the butter pat. The cooking surface seems a lot more forgiving. I’ve got a harsh “stain” on my stargazer from a few uses but the butter pat seems to go back to almost the same color/finish as out of the box after some coarse salt. Obviously that could be attributed to what I cooked, but I don’t vary what I use my cast irons for very much. The one thing is the handle on the butter pat sucks. If you wrap a towel around it, it’s fantastic, and the ridges on either side on the bottom (of the handle) seem to even grip the towel better so it doesn’t slide around. On its own though it’s uncomfortable, and the stargazer handle is much nicer. I very rarely find myself grabbing the handle full on unless I’m moving it around my kitchen between uses, so it doesn’t seem to make a big enough difference for me. Butter pat is slightly better to me, but they’re both outstanding.

I prefer the butter pat. The cooking surface seems a lot more forgiving. I’ve got a harsh “stain” on my stargazer from a few uses but the butter pat seems to go back to almost the same color/finish as out of the box after some coarse salt. Obviously that could be attributed to what I cooked, but I don’t vary what I use my cast irons for very much. The one thing is the handle on the butter pat sucks. If you wrap a towel around it, it’s fantastic, and the ridges on either side on the bottom (of the handle) seem to even grip the towel better so it doesn’t slide around. On its own though it’s uncomfortable, and the stargazer handle is much nicer. I very rarely find myself grabbing the handle full on unless I’m moving it around my kitchen between uses, so it doesn’t seem to make a big enough difference for me. Butter pat is slightly better to me, but they’re both outstanding.

Butterpat has a thicker bottom right?

Thanks! Good comment on the Butter Pat handle too. Something like that is easily missed shipping online and is super helpful.
I waited 8 weeks for mine 😬

Mine took about 4 1/2 months due to the COVID panic buying and shortages people were doing. The Stargazer team was a great one to deal with during the long wait which was acknowledged when I ordered it.

I waited a long time for my 12". I got my 10" very quickly.

Yep, the 10" for whatever reason is in stock and ready for immediate shipping. The 12" seems to be chronically out of stock I assume because it is more popular.

I can’t overstate how nice the lid is for the butter pat. I’m 100% convinced if something were to happen to the pan, I could just flip the lid upside down, remove the knob, and cook in that

I'm glad you like it so much. For me, the Butter Pat skillet and lid seem a bit over-priced considering their competition in the marketplace. They certainly appeal to a lot of people so, they have found a good place in the market.

I looked long and hard at the Butter Pat vs. Field vs. Stargazer and voted with my wallet on Stargazer which to me won out because of the perception of better handles. Now that I have used it ~6 months, I am very happy with my choice because both handles are very user friendly to me. The other two had secondary handles which I found inferior to Stargazer and the main handle was a bit of a toss up based on my prior All-Clad experience. The Stargazer is wider and more curved which I really like and, it rests a spoon or spatula exceptionally well while cooking.

Field is one brand I don't see mentioned very often that seems to compete in this marketspace. I'm not sure why. From here you get into smaller production "boutique" cookware makers which haven't appealed to me.

Field is one brand I don't see mentioned very often that seems to compete in this marketspace. I'm not sure why.

If I were in America... I would look seriously at Field.

The one problem with these smaller companies is that their systems/range are immature. This is another advantage of Lodge. With Lodge you know you can buy a dutch oven, a skillet or a deep dish skillet of the same diameter and know that they will share a lid... I like that. I try not to be superficial... but it is also nice when your kitchen tools have the same matching styling... ;)

Field and Butterpat have dutch ovens and (i assume) cross-compatible lids. Stargazer need to catch up in this regard.

The one problem with these smaller companies is that their systems/range are immature. This is another advantage of Lodge. With Lodge you know you can buy a dutch oven, a skillet or a deep dish skillet of the same diameter and know that they will share a lid... I like that. I try not to be superficial... but it is also nice when your kitchen tools have the same matching styling... ;)

Field and Butterpat have dutch ovens and (i assume) cross-compatible lids. Stargazer need to catch up in this regard.

I use one of my all-clad lids with my Stargazer. it's not a perfect fit but it's good enough considering it's a frying pan. it's enough to steam things, just not enough to lock stuff in there

Anyone tried the SpringUSA carbon skillets? KaTom has the 12.5 inch for $100. I never used the product or supplier, but it looks interesting.

I have a 10" Stargazer that I bought when they first went into production but it does not see much use as I end up using my Griswolds more frequently. I started hunting for them about five years ago and have a #3, #8, #9, #10, #12, and the big daddy #14. I also have Lodge 10" that I've had for years so the seasoning is good despite the rough surface compared to my Griswolds and Stargazer but it is good for oven work such as roasts.

Good points but, not valid for myself. If I need a Dutch Oven, I'm all over on oval Staub but, an LC would serve me well too. I really don't see much need for a lid on my skillets with what I cook and how I cook. That could change over time but, right now isn't a factor for myself as I can't find the lid to the All-Clad skillet I have. I tend to use a Saute pan or Roasting pan if I need covered cooking that isn't a Dutch Oven.

Anyone tried the SpringUSA carbon skillets? KaTom has the 12.5 inch for $100. I never used the product or supplier, but it looks interesting.

If you want a carbon steel fry pan/skillet, check out Darto from South America. I have a couple of pans from them and like them a lot.

I'm about ready to go after one of the new production 12" cast iron skillets. Stargazer has my attention at a much more attractive price point than the other two. Butter pat is 2x the price of Stargazer for the 12"! As mentioned above, the vintage market is getting more crowded and prices are climbing. The large pieces are reaching or eclipsing the cost of a new production piece, and I can be 100% sure it will be flat and crack free. I've already brought home two #10 Wagners with slight warp that was not noticable at purchase, and one with a crack. Warped pieces still work, but its more of a pet peeve at this point.

There are still deals to be had on smaller stuff #8 and below, but #10 and larger is a chore to track down under $150.
Chicken Fryers are some of my favorite, I recommend them to anyone interested in cast iron due to the reduction in splatter from the high walls. I pick up nice examples when I come across them just to give as gifts. Same with cheap, smooth, #8's. 1970's era Lodge had smooth-er bottoms and raised heat rings can be had for about the cost of a new 10" lodge from Wal-Mart.

Back