High end frying pan recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've collected a bunch of vintage Griswold cast iron. It's much thinner than the usual junk from Lodge, and ground smooth. But the prices have been driven up. Work great on induction, of course.

Recently I bought a brand new Stargazer 12" (equiv to a Griswold #9), and it is excellent. Good weight for it's substantial size, ground smooth, excellent design. My only complaint is that the handle is too long.
I moved away from my antique cast iron after switching to induction. It didn't heat very evenly. My favorite is the Fissler Original Profi line for induction.

is stainless good?

currently looking into these:
fiskars norden, stainless with alu core.

and fiskars all steel pure, 3 layers stainless.
Stainless with aluminum core, when it's well made and with enough aluminum in there, is better than all stainless because it heats better. Between your two, I would get the Norden model for sure - smooth normal interior and aluminum core.

to be honest i dont really know what a high end frying pan is. those fiskars looks pretty high end to me. i only use cast iron. i have 2 jøtul from norway, the no19 is my fav. these have not been made for many years and i found them all rusted up. but like new. then i have a skeppshult from sweden and its much lower qual imo. and its the best we now make.

I have owned a few from the Fiskars Norden steel line of pans. Nice pans and has a little some nice thickness added compared to the flimsier US all-clad d3 pans for example, but I'd advice to going for the real thing right away, so stainless lined. The Norden pans have a ceramic coating that starts as non-stick, but will quickly degrade and start performing more like a stainless pan. They will be a tad easier to clean though even after the degradation of the nonstick properties, but yeah, just go for the real deal. I gave mine to my brother after I bought Falk CopperCore, like magic I had no use for the Norden clad pans anymore.

I have kept that new steel "pure" line in my hands at a local store too and it has a thick bottom and looks a-okey, but the handle wasn't the most comfortable to me and it seemed to have a little give in the handle attachment kind of, nothing too bad but still. Almost bought the 24cm thick bottom though. At least its made in Finland too, like the Norden serier is also, so thats nice.. but from recycled steel in the case of the pure, which is a little suspect to me? what the hell have they melted to that? Don't know any better about that though.

I didn't know it had non-stick coating. Skip it then, find something like it but without non-stick.

I didn't know it had non-stick coating. Skip it then, find something like it but without non-stick.

Yes it indeed has that, Fiskars calls it treatment. I bought the pans as a gateway drug to real stainless basically myself :)

So the steel pure that you were checking @inferno , it has a thick aluminum sandwich bottom and will heat quite very evenly, even if you have induction like I do. It will also store quite much heat and so take more time to heat up and down compared to the clad pans that'll be heating less evenly in comparison, but faster both ways. I have a Fissler 28cm low roaster for that kind of thick "fry-pans".

On induction I would suggest to get at least one thick bottom. I like my Falk coppercores, but could also understand someone not loving them, especially on some induction cooktop with not all that big inductors..

So, I bought one of these 9.5-inch Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans off Amazon with everybody else on this site. I have been using this pan for a little bit and have noticed I have to be careful with the heat as I can burn fairly easily. I compared it to a couple of my older carbon pans and noticed the steel is thinner. I have a 7 inch and a crepe older pan in the pictures with thicker steel. I think my older carbon pans are easier to use on my gas stove being thicker. And my 12-inch DE Buyer is much thicker which could just be it is so much larger of a pan. Is there a reason for a thinner pan? Would it have a special purpose?

I kind of like this size. Does anybody make a thicker carbon pan like my older ones?

IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg

Last edited:
So, I bought one of these 9.5-inch Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans off Amazon with everybody else on this site. I have been using this pan for a little bit and have noticed I have to be careful with the heat as I can burn fairly easily. I compared it to a couple of my older carbon pans and noticed the steel is thinner. I have a 7 inch and a crepe older pan in the pictures with thicker steel. I think my older carbon pans are easier to use on my gas stove being thicker. And my 12-inch DE Buyer is much thicker which could just be it is so much larger of a pan. Is there a reason for a thinner pan? Would it have a special purpose?

View attachment 115531View attachment 115532

I surely haven't looked into all the different brands/lines but as I recall, Matfer's are among the thicker options currently out there. I want to say I remember it being 3mm and many are 2.5mm. It's been a while since I looked into it so I may be wrong.

Thinner is mainly for weight savings.

Just ease back on the heat a bit.

I bought a Matfer Bourgeat before Christmas so it's the current generation. It measures 3mm in the sidewall; I don't know if the bottom is thicker. No problems with burning anything. Nicely nonstick at this point.

I have just been cooking with my older carbon steel pans for so long that the thinner steel seems different. I think the thicker steel is more forgiving when cooking at least to me any ways. I guess you can't buy the older thicker carbon steel pans any more as I would prefer them.

Big fan of “made in” pots and pans. Stainless and carbon are both amazing, haven’t tried the copper yet though. Definitely worth the investment

Just looking at the "made in" pans, they seem thinner than Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan I just ordered. Nowhere near as thick as my old carbon pans.

DeBuyer carbon pans on glass electric cooktop. I'll never go back to anything but carbon (unless I move to cast iron) for frying. Sauces in the stainless pans. Thanks KKF for pointing me in the right direction years ago.

Wait! How old is thread?!?!?!

I do like the idea of a "made in" carbon roasting pan. I just ordered an All-Clad stainless steel roasting pan so I don't want another one but I might like a carbon steel roasting pan better. What do you guys think?

I do like the idea of a "made in" carbon roasting pan. I just ordered an All-Clad stainless steel roasting pan so I don't want another one but I might like a carbon steel roasting pan better. What do you guys think?
I have an all-clad ss induction safe roasting pan. It does what I want, but I don't use large roasting pans all that often. If I'm roasting something, I almost always use half sheet or quarter sheet trays. If I'm braising something or I want to roast with liquid, I use a pot. The only times I use a roasting pan is when I need to also heat from the bottom on my stove top. I thought I would use it for making gravy without needing to wash a saucepan, but I rarely do it.

That said, I do love my little metal oval roasting pans. I love them for reheating. I used to use ceramic ones but I cracked two of them and my other ones have hairline cracks. I just don't trust them anymore...

I am really enjoying the De Buyer Mineral Pro csrbon steel pan. The only issue is that it is almost as hDavy and by Field cast iron skillet. Both are first rate cookware items and are nicely non-stick after proper seasoning.

Like @rmrf, I rarely use a roasting pan any more. I'm almost always using trays or a Dutch oven.

Now what I am contemplating is a saute pan.

I bought an old Viking 3.4 qt sauté pan made in the USA the 3-ply version and I like the size and shape for a small household. It comes with a lid and the lid fits the 9.5 Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan not perfect but good enough for me to use with a fry pan. I make most of my sauces now in this pan. I have several older LeCreuset pots which were my mom's so they are really old but I am having more fun using the Viking right now.

I guess I should add my LeCreuset pots are bigger and with covid now I am trying to down size so I don't have to eat so many left overs. I look forward to cooking for friends in the future with larger pots.

Last edited:
Like @rmrf, I rarely use a roasting pan any more. I'm almost always using trays or a Dutch oven.

Now what I am contemplating is a saute pan.

My most used pan (even with the two new carbon pans) is a 3.5 quart Mauviel SS saute pan. Great for sauteing vegetables, braises, sauces, you name it. Get a saute pan; 3.5 quart is a good size for cooking for 2 - 4.

My most used pan (even with the two new carbon pans) is a 3.5 quart Mauviel SS saute pan. Great for sauteing vegetables, braises, sauces, you name it. Get a saute pan; 3.5 quart is a good size for cooking for 2 - 4.

Yeah, I want the Made In pan and it's been out of stock for a bit or I'd likely already have it. I'm sure I'll get one.

IMO roasting pans are not worth big money or hard thinking, because their job is much easier than that of a pan that sits on direct heat all the time. Right size? Won't break? No special problem to get it clean? Done.

I just realized there are probably non-stick-coated roasting pans. Definitely avoid if you see one. Enamel is fine, uncoated is fine.

I have measured the 9.5 De Buyer Mineral Pro carbon steel pan and it is indeed 3mm. I just need to learn to cook on it.

Thanks, HumbleHomeCook I do like the size.

It is a small pan and I need to start with the gas on low on my big burners and things will work better for me. I am treating it like a fry pan and it really is a small heat sink compared to my larger pans.

Last edited:
I have measured the 9.5 De Buyer Mineral Pro carbon steel pan and it is indeed 3mm. I just need to learn to cook on it.

It is a small pan and I need to start with the gas on low on my big burners and things will work better for me. I am treating it like a fry pan and it really is a small heat sink compared to my larger pans.
From what I remember when I got my debuyer mineral B pans (c. 2013?), they are 3mm thick if 26cm diameter or larger, or 2.5mm if <26cm. The grill pans, crepe pans and “country” (deep) pans were 2.5mm. The specs may have changed since then (?) as at the time only the 36cm pan had a helper handle, but I think I’ve heard of some people say their 32cm pan has one too

I have a 10.75 and 9.5 inch and the first time I used the 9.5 I was not ready for how much more quickly it heated compared to the larger one. It works great though, seasoned easily, and is great when cooking steak or such just for two. Just need to pay a little closer attention to it than the bigger one.

If we're talking high-end I really like my Spring USA Blackline Carbon Steel Pan. It's carbon steel, but about the thickness of cast iron. Welded cast steel handle and fit and finish is superb. Only complaint I might have is the handle is a pretty long and I'm pretty sure they are manufactured in asia despite the misleading name. But it's definitely a step above the more common carbon steel pans. Also lifetime warranty.

If we're talking high-end I really like my Spring USA Blackline Carbon Steel Pan. It's carbon steel, but about the thickness of cast iron. Welded cast steel handle and fit and finish is superb. Only complaint I might have is the handle is a pretty long and I'm pretty sure they are manufactured in asia despite the misleading name. But it's definitely a step above the more common carbon steel pans. Also lifetime warranty.

They seem to be made in China so I won't buy one.

Interesting that I don't see much chatter for Volrath - checked a local restaurant supply yesterday and a 12.5" carbon skillet was $38

Back