High end frying pan recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow did not expect to get so many responses on this thread and to be honest I kind of expected you guys to convince me of the opposite lol. The use case for this pan is to be my primary pan , my go to . This is not for searing, I have cast iron . Think, I want to fry some veggies quickly or maybe a small batch of shrimps . Again, the goal was to get me somewhat of a "treat" and "upgrade" from my all clad 3 ply.

Should I just look at somewhat of a similar model with 5 ply instead of copper ? Or are there better option then All-Clad for 3 ply ? Mauviel Mcook ?

Thinking out loud here, maybe I should keep my frying pan , its old but in good shape and replace my warped saute pan

Again , thanks to all that replied, very instructive !!!
From what you are saying my suggestion would be to look into a saute pan. In an earlier post I had mentioned my tip for you but I’ll repeat it here. Look into Lagostina Accademia Lagofusion, a hybrid line with both a thick aluminum bottom (6mm) and clad sidewalls. They have a 26 cm diameter pan which sounds like a great fit. I’ve heard great user feedback of someone using this on her electric coil stovetop, coming from Demeyere. Should set you back around 200 euro all in at most, buying from e.g. amazon.de Made in Italy too. See Lagostina 011115031826 accademia lagofusion stoofpan deksel roestvrij staal 26 cm: Amazon.de: Küche & Haushalt

The use case for this pan is to be my primary pan , my go to . This is not for searing, I have cast iron . Think, I want to fry some veggies quickly or maybe a small batch of shrimps . Again, the goal was to get me somewhat of a "treat" and "upgrade" from my all clad 3 ply.
If you want to give yourself a treat--yes, restaurants use simple aluminum pans--you can try the Demeyere Proline or a tin-lined (not stainless steel lined) copper pan.

My daily pan is a 2mm copper pan from Navarini, used mainly because it heats up quickly and is very responsive to changes in heat. No added maintenance beyond cleaning with a blue Scotch Brite, using only wood or plastic spatulas, and making sure not to heat up the pan empty.

The Demeyere Proline is more like using a thick cast iron pan.

Im going to go against the grain here and say that IMO nothing is actually an "upgrade" over the plain-Jane d3 all-clad 12".

I find it to be the best balance and if I could only keep one of my pans, which these days include Matfer carbons, de Buyer Copper and a Stargazer, it would be the All-Clad.

That being said if I owned an All-Clad and were looking to get a second pan, probably it would be a Matfer, despite the fact that it's the cheapest 12" I own by some margin. IMO copper tends to lend itself better to things I'd typically make in saucepans or smaller pans, and cast iron is as overrated as bacon (ie it's very good but come on).

to be honest if I had a bad stove (ie anything other than a high powered gas one) I'd actually seriously consider putting that couple of hundred dollars you might spend on a big copper pan towards a Breville Control Freak.

If you're after a saute pan, then I like Cuisinart French Classic more than All-Clad because they are slightly thicker. They're made in France and a great value (~$60); there was some discussion of these here a while ago--there's only a handful of pan factories in France, so the thinking was the Cusinart ones were made at the same place as 'better' (pricier) pans.
Completely agree. I've slowly replaced older pans with the Cuisinart French Classic line. I now have 7 pans, 6 SS and 1 non-stick and for the money you can't go wrong. Next purchase will be a large stock pot and a crepe pan. The handles are one of my fav features and the heat transfer properties are second to none, including my copper core All Clads which I think are over-hyped here in the US with the worst handles.

Completely agree. I've slowly replaced older pans with the Cuisinart French Classic line. I now have 7 pans, 6 SS and 1 non-stick and for the money you can't go wrong. Next purchase will be a large stock pot and a crepe pan. The handles are one of my fav features and the heat transfer properties are second to none, including my copper core All Clads which I think are over-hyped here in the US with the worst handles.

those don't look bad, actually I had to get a new 4qt saucepan recently and might have gone with this instead of the Dremeyere I eventually bought had I seen it, although two things strike me as odd:

no helper on a 4 qt?
also "French Classic" is an odd thing to call a tri-ply stainless pan. wouldnt it be American Classic?

longshot: anyone has experience with the Alessi Edo range?

I think this subject is both complex and simple. I just think it depends what you're looking for, how anal retentive you re (detail oriented) and how much you want to spend. If you want the very best, then you have to hunt for old 4mm thick pots and get it silver lined... probably cost you 6 month time and $1k+ but then you'll truly get the best performing saute pan... if you're going strictly by metal properties.. it will also weight 15lbs though...

The key is actually is in balance... which is the ratio between weight, size, thickness of the pan to performance of the pan. Copper pan will simply offer better performance than others, but it will weight 2x more. If you want SS pant hat performs close to cast iron (even heating and keeping heat the best). and don't want cast iron, then demeyere 7-ply or all-clad d7 is your best bet.

the bonded 2.3mm + .2mm ss/copper pans from 3major makers (falk, mauviel, matfer) will offer better/even heating, but probably won't keep heat better, but may reheat faster but are more costly... then, there is weight and copper maintenance (if you want thing shiny)

I would break it down this way:

below $200, d7 is best pan
below $300 demeyere 7ply
copper any of the 3
highest end / unicorn is hard to find, but they exist.

but, as someone said, d3 is likely the best pan for all or mc2, both are SS with 2mm or so of alum in the middle. The most important, obv is proper preheating (most ppl don't get them hot enough), and proper ventilation/hood (most ppl don't have proper hood). those 2 will be the limiting factors between crust creation, even browning, and proper ventilation (not to smoke up your house)

then there are bottom clad pots... with some at thick as 7mm... but that's a diff story :)

BTW ; plenty hoods are capable enough in theory but handicapped by not letting fresh air in, or impairing flow by too narrow ducts/many bends.

the same, very much so.
their website is only showing beige food, so that figures ;-)

We have an old all-clad stainless lined aluminum, a de buyer carbon steel, lots of old griswold cast iron, and a 2mm thick mafter bourgeat copper sautee pan. We never use the copper. The de buyer does almost everything. That being said, most of cooking is pretty run of the mill/pedestrian. We aren't doing fine dining meals at home.

I stopped using most of my All Clad pans and switched to Cast Iron on my flat top electric stove. I started with one size and then eventually bought the set of Field Skillets. These are well made, machines interior surfaces and weigh less than most competitors skillets for the same size.

https://fieldcompany.com

I stopped using most of my All Clad pans and switched to Cast Iron on my flat top electric stove. I started with one size and then eventually bought the set of Field Skillets. These are well made, machines interior surfaces and weigh less than most competitors skillets for the same size.

https://fieldcompany.com

afaik the Field is the closest to vintage. it's certainly the closest I've seen.

I really cant imagine something better for the person who wants a Griswold without shelling out equivalent money on someone else's used pan that's been beaten on for 80 years. despite what some people seem to think, Ive seen a fair amount of ruined cast iron.

it's nice there's Field, Stargazer, the Aus-Ion stuff, butterpad (?), etc. out now. it seems like 5 years ago if you wanted a decent pan to sear your choices were vintage or carbon steel.

While writing this I was multitasking on an audio page ordering some fairy dust wire and stuff, I had to look several times to see that you are not Mr Duluend in disguise as Aussie...if you are I want a hefty discount :p
1604304935593.png

I have a cuisinart French classic sauté pan. Good value. Brought it to my gfs house, replaced it with a fissler at home. I think the fissler is a worthwhile upgrade over the cuisinart for the way I cook. But I like disk bottoms better than multiply.

Enjoying my m250c mauviel, heats quickly and super evenly. With stainless lining makes a great companion to my Alex Pole carbon skillet

Back