High Grade Buckeye Burl Processing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I have not been able to find high grade Buckeye Burl for a few years now.
A few weeks ago I decided to start contacting everyone in the burl business to try to find some.
Well......I got lucky when I contacted one of the old timers. He said that he had some of the really good stuff set aside.
I was a little bit unsure but decided to make a road trip to see what he had.
When I got to his place there were a couple hundred slabs to sort through. Most were very good furniture grade burl.
Those tend to have a lots of voids, bark pockets and other characteristics that might look good for furniture but not handle material.
After unstacking and then restacking just about all of this guy's wood I found several good high grade slabs with some good solid portions that would make great knife handle blocks.

These are the slabs I got.

slabs3_zpshamrttkv.jpg

slabs2_zpspkfvfzj6.jpg

The next step was to cut the slabs into strips trimming away most of the stuff that would not be good for handle material. Even though these were really good slabs there was a lot of waste. I wanted to cut the wood in a way to show the best possible figure without flaws. These strips went into the drying room to finish up drying the wood.

strips_zpsxu4ox9sm.jpg

Once these were dry I trimmed away any wood that cracked or showed any flaws. Then I cut those pieces into blocks. This is my first batch of blocks that were ready to go to the stabilizers.

blocks_zps9i0ed6n1.jpg

Looks like there will be some really good coloring and figure. They should be coming back from the stabilizers in a few weeks.

That's amazing seeing the process. Really neat stuff, thanks for sharing Mark

That is a real transformation. Would not have expected the smaller dried pieces to come from those large cross-sections.

Back