Hinoki Cutting Board Needs Some Flattening... :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Real_Self

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of veggie prep in years past and this board has worn heavily in the middle sweet spot. Trying to figure out the best way to flatten with what I have on hand. I really don't want to use sandpaper and I do happen to have a well broken-in Atoma 140 diamond plate that seems perfect for this job. Do I need to be concerned about diamonds tearing out by biting very deeply into the wood or are they within the design parameters to use them on soft woods?

Get yourself a board scraper....practice on wood scraps...then clean your board up.

Find a local cabinet maker or wood worker and ask them to run it through thier planer for you, most will do it for next to nothing if you ask nicely

Sounds like I just need to get a planer for myself, good thinking.

Sounds like I just need to get a planer for myself, good thinking.
not sure if that was a joke but beware what you get into, I helped install the planer a friend bought a few years back and it was a scary exercise just unloading it...weighing approx 1200Kg, Italian high end pro gear, I'm sure that in WWII they made tanks as one attachment resembled a turret both in looks and weight!

not sure if that was a joke but beware what you get into, I helped install the planer a friend bought a few years back and it was a scary exercise just unloading it...weighing approx 1200Kg, Italian high end pro gear, I'm sure that in WWII they made tanks as one attachment resembled a turret both in looks and weight!

I was thinking a hand planer, which I believe won't be perfect but has to beat the heck out of sandpaper or Atoma.

Yeah a #4 smoothing plane will do just fine or a #5 jack. For reduced frustration, I recommend Veritas from Lee Valley, but you can go cheaper if you don’t mind having to give your tools the TF treatment.

If it is long grain a planner is the fastest. End grain not supposed to run through planners. If a block breaks away your planner is scr$$ed. You run end grain through large sanding machines.

I had a chance to buy a 24-inch Delta planner cheap that needed a little work. The problem is it weighed over a ton and was quite large. I had no room for it as my shop is too small on a raised floor.

PS
The Delta planner will take off 1/4 inch in one pass.

Last edited:
If it is long grain a planner is the fastest. End grain not supposed to run through planners. If a block breaks away your planner is scr$$ed. You run end grain through large sanding machines.

It's definitely not a fancy end-grain board, it's a solid one-piece slab so no worries there.

it's not even that a block will break out, it's more that a planer takes out/may take out chunks...

I have a walnut shelf that was spoiled by coating it in PU varnish, and I'm probably going to run it through that massive planer...

Back