Hinoki cutting board questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hello, for all who know about hinoki cutting boards i have a few questions as i just got a new one.

1. Are you supposed to cut alongside the grain/lines or does it not matter? I feel the grain going vertically so should i rotate my board that way and cut alongside it?

2. my instructions are in japanese so i don't really know the proper care and usage for it. I read somewhere that you should get the board damp with water before you use it. Is that true? Anything else I need to know? using mineral oil to condition it for example?

Hinoki is really nice, but it stains easily and the cheap ones that are easily available tend to warp easily.

Wetting before use helps prevent stains, but you'll still get them. Storing it upright helps prevent warping. A lot of cheap boards are also made using wood that isn't aged, so it tends to leak sap. It's fine and not harmful, just something to be aware of.

As far as grain, regular usage will give it wear and tear, so don't fret over that too much. Eventually you might want to sand it down a bit, but that isn't a huge deal and I don't think you need to worry about the grain too much. I think the biggest thing to watch out for is warping. Please never put it in the dishwasher.

Hinoki is really nice, but it stains easily and the cheap ones that are easily available tend to warp easily.

Wetting before use helps prevent stains, but you'll still get them. Storing it upright helps prevent warping. A lot of cheap boards are also made using wood that isn't aged, so it tends to leak sap. It's fine and not harmful, just something to be aware of.

As far as grain, regular usage will give it wear and tear, so don't fret over that too much. Eventually you might want to sand it down a bit, but that isn't a huge deal and I don't think you need to worry about the grain too much. I think the biggest thing to watch out for is warping. Please never put it in the dishwasher.
yeah i did get a cheap one it was like 32$ on amazon

I did myself a favor and got a thicker one to prevent warping. splash some water on it, but not get it damp.

My hinoki board is a cheap Shun and it does warp. I don't care about it because I simply flip it whenever it's warped. After a while when it warp in another direction I just flip it back. It will stain and have a lot scratches but it's cheap enough for me to not worry about it. Just use it. No need to soak in mineral oil or wax. It won't be able to keep them anyway.

Back