Hinoki Cutting Boards

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by daveb, Mar 8, 2016.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    Any special care or feeding instructions for Hinoki boards? Much thinner than my Boardsmith and Boos boards. Same oil it, rinse it, some shelf liner under it as other wood?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. Mar 8, 2016 #2

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

I have the Shun branded hinoki boards from Cutlery & More, possibly considering an upgrade at some point. Apparently they don't need oil; I put Boos Butter on two of the three, and the one without doesn't seem any worse off from regular home use. Because they are thin, if cutting moist produce, the moisture can enter the board and temporarily cause it to bow. In my experience, this can be corrected by placing a damp cloth underneath (also helps prevent movement) and strategically drying or misting each side as required.

3. Mar 8, 2016 #3

Asteger

Asteger

Asteger

I remember asking a couple times in Japan about how they deal with their boards, but I wasn't asking about any specific wood, and if they used any oil and the oil-thing wasn't at all known to them. Therefore, maybe oiling the board isn't necessary. I don't think it'd hurt, though. I'd probably do it but after trying it without.

4. Mar 21, 2016 #4
  5. Mar 26, 2016 #5

RubbishCook

RubbishCook

RubbishCook

I have had two hinoki boards for a couple of years now, Shun and Kodai branded ones and as far as I can tell they don't need any special care. I just wash them with dish soap and cold water after use and let them dry (I lean them up against a decanter drying stand).

My housekeeper put the Shun in the dishwasher and it felt a bit dry afterwards so I put J.K. Adams Mineral oil on it and that was about a year ago and it hasn't felt dry since. I use both boards a 2-3 times a week.

I have not noticed any bowing with my two.

6. Mar 26, 2016 #6

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

Part of the problem with the shun is they are so thin, they range from 3/8" to 3/4" depending on the size. The bowing isn't severe, although it wound give it a bit of a temporary wobble.
    I now have the replacement I mentioned above, will post more in due course

7. Sep 6, 2016 #7

XKFC

XKFC

XKFC

shun's is thin and is not a single piece, i have one from power of wood which is really good, never oil it

8. Sep 14, 2016 #8

Fedusa

Fedusa

Fedusa

On Aframes, he mentions saturating the boards with water before use so smells don't transfer between board and food but thats for cypress and willow. No mention of hinoki.

9. Sep 14, 2016 #9

zitangy

zitangy

zitangy

if I may chip in....

a. any glued boards if soaked in water for too long will weaken the joints and thus come apart. No problem as you can always clamp it with wood glue. Big clamps are no cheap though. ON thicker solid 1 piece cutting boards like Burmese Yellow Heart wch tends to hv micro fissures on the surface, it needs alot of water. I wash it it lavishly with water or a short time soak

b.Light coly wood It does tend to discolor or stain easily . Thus i do not use for cutting dry food only and no oily stuff

c. I now leave mine un-oiled as I like the light color look and oily maintenance is an occasional light sanding for tht cleaner look

d. I always put it up sideways after washing. to prevent any warping as it is less than an inch thick.

hv fun... D

10. Sep 14, 2016 #10

laxdad

laxdad

laxdad

Hinoki is Japanese Cypress

11. Sep 14, 2016 #11

Fedusa

Fedusa

Fedusa

Well, there you go. I was thinking honoki which I don't think is generally used for cutting boards.

12. Sep 19, 2016 #12

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

I like them easy on your knives. Use a smaller one for light prep. silicone strips under so no slip.

13. Dec 7, 2019 #13

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

i just picked up a cheap one off amazon and i love it!!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L92LS81 (i got the x-large one which is laughable because it's same size as my "small" hi-soft one, haha but i guess this is XL for home use)

14. Dec 7, 2019 #14

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

I had the thin one after a while warped some maybe partly cuz did not wash & dry right away. The 1 inch thick worked better.

15. Dec 8, 2019 #15

Runner_up

Runner_up

Runner_up

I'm a big fan. Really light and very easy on knives. As mentioned above the trick is to saturate the board with water before using it. This prevents stains and smells from seeping into the board. Wash with soap and cool water after, and stand to dry. These boards should not be oiled.

Draft saved Draft deleted