Hinoura Ajikataya ground for lefty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
I just got this one based on the thread about quality KU finishes I started a few weeks back. I've used it for some test cuts (potatoes, carrots, tomatoes). Food release is very good, which I'd rate at 8/10.

When I looked at the choil, I thought it looked ground for a left-handed user. Am I right?
(I didn't notice any steering or any lack of food release, so I'm not concerned, just curious if the is a knife built for the wrong-handed folks among us).

Let me know your thoughts.
20190702_194906.jpeg
20190702_194817.jpeg

Choils dont tell the whole story, but it does look pretty lefty biased to me

Looks lefty-bias to me too.
I agree that choils don't tell the story (or can be wonky), since what you're seeing is the choil only--it's thickness prevents you from seeing the grind in front of it, as it tapers.

Try a straight edge (I just use a credit card), perpendicular to the edge, at various spots up the length of the blade on both sides. This will show the bias (whichever side has the edge closer to the credit card is the bias).

Looks lefty-bias to me too.
I agree that choils don't tell the story (or can be wonky), since what you're seeing is the choil only--it's thickness prevents you from seeing the grind in front of it, as it tapers.

Try a straight edge (I just use a credit card), perpendicular to the edge, at various spots up the length of the blade on both sides. This will show the bias (whichever side has the edge closer to the credit card is the bias).
Good call on the straight edge. I also plan on using it for a while to see if I can notice any issues. I haven't noticed any wonkiness yet. I've done a few tests where I cut a potato directly in half without holding either side, then lift the knife up. The potato slides off both sides just about equally with very little sticking at all.

Back