Hiragatake SLD Santoku

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Korpulentny, Dec 3, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2019 #1

Korpulentny

Korpulentny

Korpulentny

Hello everyone,
    I'm a new member here and recently I've seen Jeff post about a sale at epicedge. I decided to check it out and I ended buying an SLD steel santoku for just under 100 USD. It is worth mentioning that that is my first true Japanese knife.
    I'm writing because I'm wondering whether that was a good deal and maybe I should think about returning it and looking for something else. I've also recently ordered a gyuto from miyabi (mizu series 8 inch sg2) for 130 USD at Black Friday sale. As I live in Europe where knives are significantly more expensive here and miyabis are quite well known I think I'm not going to loose much if it doesn't suit me and I decide to resell it later. I'm going to get them both arouns Christmas as they are being shipped to my brother who is currently in the USA.
    Ever since learning about Japanese knife I always wanted to try out something with wa handle and I really like santoku knives so this one from epicurean seemed like a good deal. Now, however I'm having second thoughts. I am wondering what are your thoughts on this and I'm grateful for any help.
    This is the link for the santoku: https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=95567
    Best regards
    Tom
    P.S.
    I don't know if it's relevant but I sharpen my own knives.

2. Dec 3, 2019 #2

James

James

James

No experience with this particular knife, but SLD is an amazing steel imo

3. Dec 3, 2019 #3

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

I really liked the 180mm gyuto, sort of a stainless version of the Mazaki 180mm petty. And the edges on the couple knives I’ve had in SLD have always been great.

4. Dec 3, 2019 #4

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Nice profile!

5. Dec 3, 2019 #5

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

Old Head

I would take that over the 8" miyabi all day.

6. Dec 3, 2019 #6

Korpulentny

Korpulentny

Korpulentny

After ordering the miyabi I had some time to rethink my decision and I think I'm going to try to resell the miyabi asap and use the santoku while keeping an eye for a well priced gyuto some time in the future. Thanks everyone for their input. Cheers