Media Hiromoto Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
240 Hiromoto Honyaki

[video]https://youtu.be/ZAR0-TmvKHc[/video]

There's no crying in the kitchen.

Hell, I meant a certain post as a semi-joke, and you go and find the one Honyaki that actually wears a Yo dress elegantly :)

That final part :rofl2:

You forgot to add "don't try this at home boys"

These photos give you an idea of the grind, finish and hamon.

Is it any similar to famous AS series?

It is in the sense that both are built to be used and produce product. Comfortable handle, and shape. Nothing overly fancy but begs to be used. Physically the honyaki version isn't as flat as the AS, more attention is paid to the grind/geometry which gives the honyaki version a more substantial feel. I'm anxious to see how it performs over a month's time. I'll do a proper review once I get a complete picture on it's performance, edge retention, ease of sharpening and maintenance. I know some people have a problem with the vague statement that "it feels good in the hand" but I also know that some people understand what that means. This knife does feel good in the hand and as I mentioned, "begs to be used".

Mine is out for delivery today according to Mr postman's website.

Pulled the trigger on this one thanks to salty - thank you sir!

It looks much better in the video than it does on the website's pictures

Yes it doe's look a lot better in the video than website, I thought as well. And it looks exactly what Salty described about the grind compared to AS. Still happy with AS considering what they used to cost. 😀 want a Honyaki now

Yes it doe's look a lot better in the video than website, I thought as well. And it looks exactly what Salty described about the grind compared to AS. Still happy with AS considering what they used to cost. [emoji3] want a Honyaki now

Per Koki's email, there were five left at the time I was ordering

don't need it either, but i want a honyaki suji and can't quite bring myself to shell out $800+ for a slicer quite yet.. 5 hundred would be a lot easier to deal with mentally. also, i might actually prefer yo handle for slicer over wa style. my current one (heiji carbon) the profile is too flat and the steel favors push cuts over slicing which is counterproductive for a suji :D.

The thing about a honyaki is most people want that bad azz hamon look. Especially if you already have that style of knife. It's subtle with the Hiromoto.
I can't imagine push cutting with a suji. Counter productive and intuitive for sure.

Nice video Salty. Pleasant surprise to see your name pop up around here.

+1 when I first started getting into good knives I came across his blog and posts on KF. At that time it was unheard of to own that amount of very high end knives. There is a reason I own my Masamoto Honyaki. He may have moved on, but I never did. I think many people were influenced by his by his posts and videos, myself included.

Yes, I too must confess - Salty was an inspiration when I was getting into real knives and along with Dave's sharpening gospel Salty really helped open the rabbit hole for sure.

Lars

+1 when I first started getting into good knives I came across his blog and posts on KF. At that time it was unheard of to own that amount of very high end knives. There is a reason I own my Masamoto Honyaki. He may have moved on, but I never did. I think many people were influenced by his by his posts and videos, myself included.

+1

For me too his videos where some of the first solid info I got on some Japanese knives' performance and kept my curiosity going. Also, I think those where the first non-sponsored vids I watched so I felt more at ease when taking in the info. Thx

No need to talk about him like he's gone?

Good point.

Salty, I'm sure I starded lusting for a Mizuno after watching one of your vids. It's still one of my favourite workhorse style knives, so thanks. :doublethumbsup:

And now I'm starting to think about Honyakis. Where is this going to end? :biggrin:

Good point.

Salty, I'm sure I starded lusting for a Mizuno after watching one of your vids. It's still one of my favourite workhorse style knives, so thanks. :doublethumbsup:

And now I'm starting to think about Honyakis. Where is this going to end? :biggrin:

Many $$$ out of your pocket. Many 😊😊😊 on your face

The thing about a honyaki is most people want that bad azz hamon look. Especially if you already have that style of knife. It's subtle with the Hiromoto.

It has been a few weeks Salty. What are your impressions so far?

I'm liking it. Great edge out of the box and very good retention. Handles everything from mirepoix to thin apple slices. Very comfortable and well balanced. I've been using it almost exclusively since I received it. Seems to lessen wrist fatigue. My right wrist is pretty messed up so I pay attention to how much pain I have at the end of the day.
It's getting a nice little patina.

I'm liking it. Great edge out of the box and very good retention. Handles everything from mirepoix to thin apple slices. Very comfortable and well balanced. I've been using it almost exclusively since I received it. Seems to lessen wrist fatigue. My right wrist is pretty messed up so I pay attention to how much pain I have at the end of the day.
It's getting a nice little patina.

Nice!

Warrants a follow up video me thinks...

Salty, in that shot, the patina all looks to be on one side of the hamon. Does the harder steel patina more or is it a trick of the light?

Back