Hisaya made by Ikeda?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information regarding Hisaya knives? I saw some listed on Blueway as NOS Hisaya by Tatsou Ikeda and Morimoto. Blueway in the last 2 weeks listed a deba, usuba and a yanagiba. Just curious if anyone if familiar with them. This is a picture from the Usuba listing.

Attachments

• Hisaya.jpg
    Hisaya.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I got some information from Keiichi regarding the Hisaya brand.

"Hello Jon,

Hisaya is the first name of the owner of Hisaya brand.
He used to work under Tatsuo Ikeda(he passed away a couple of years ago) and Koichi Morimoto in Sakai city when he was young.
Then he opened his knife shop for selling it to the pro chefs in Yamanashi prefecture near Mt Fuji who worked for Onsen resort hotels approx 30years ago.
He never sold his knives on the web shop, so it is hard to find the info on the internet.
I bought his knives for a very good prices when he closed his knife business last year, so I can sell it as an auction.
It is now very hard to find the knives made by Tatsuo Ikeda.
Thank you for your interest.

Regards,
Keiichi"

Does anyone have any information regarding Hisaya knives? I saw some listed on Blueway as NOS Hisaya by Tatsou Ikeda and Morimoto. Blueway in the last 2 weeks listed a deba, usuba and a yanagiba. Just curious if anyone if familiar with them. This is a picture from the Usuba listing.
I actually bought that kanto, its stunning, and I was asking just yesterday the same question you did. I also talked to keiichi, from blueway japan and with the quality of the knife im happy with the Hisaya line regardless.

Dylan Sexton

@preizzo has one as well. He said that Yoshikazu Ikeda confirmed that Tatsou was making knives for that shop in the mid-90s, but no marks on his Hisaya's tangs. I have not checked mine. I put the usuba up for sale briefly, but decided to keep it as it is really nicely made! Also, I just picked up a Sakai Masayuki Takohiki from blueway japan that is a really nice as well. It was old stock too. and I am very happy with both.

I've systematically bought about 16 peices over the last 9 months. I should have known someone on here was the one that got that tech from me lol. I wont complain as I do alread have 3. I'd like to check my nakago but I don't want to ruin the handle with the craft seal. Im glad the info was able to be gotten from his brother to confirm. Cheers for the extra information. Cheers

@preizzo has one as well. He said that Yoshikazu Ikeda confirmed that Tatsou was making knives for that shop in the mid-90s, but no marks on his Hisaya's tangs. I have not checked mine. I put the usuba up for sale briefly, but decided to keep it as it is really nicely made! Also, I just picked up a Sakai Masayuki Takohiki from blueway japan that is a really nice as well. It was old stock too. and I am very happy with both.
I also buybto reselm as well as to add to my personal collection. This is just a question, but how do you price your hisay? Like a tatsuo ikeda kasumi? Or like just a really well make and crafted, but unknown maker?

Thanks for your time.

Dylan Sexton

Can't price like a Tatsou Ikeda Kasumi. The problem is the this forum is mostly ignorant of the Hisaya brand. More mainstream and well known historical brands do well here. For example, I priced the Hisaya 240 Usuba at $250, dropped to $230 and it didn't sell. I decided that it was a joke to sell it for less. I think if you hit Instagram or some of the other auctions you would have an easier time selling a Hisaya. This is a place for Shigefusa, Kato, TF, and whatever the next flavor of the week may be for quick sells. Other quality current brands can hold their own here too.

Can't price like a Tatsou Ikeda Kasumi. The problem is the this forum is mostly ignorant of the Hisaya brand. More mainstream and well known historical brands do well here. For example, I priced the Hisaya 240 Usuba at $250, dropped to $230 and it didn't sell. I decided that it was a joke to sell it for less. I think if you hit Instagram or some of the other auctions you would have an easier time selling a Hisaya. This is a place for Shigefusa, Kato, TF, and whatever the next flavor of the week may be for quick sells. Other quality current brands can hold their own here too.
Cool man. Well thanks for the info, and the tips. Your pricing in USD is right around what I was thinking for pricing as well. I have alot of success using Facebook marketplace and I do end up moving the hisaya brand, but not as many as I'd like obviously lol. Thanks again for the chat, cheers sir.

Dylan Sexton

Hi guys,
I too am curious about a Hisaya knife for sale. 2 pics attached. The ad reads....
“Rare” Hisaya Blue Steel#2 Usuba knife 225mm. Waving Pattern Brand New

It's on eBay for about 230 USD I'm intrigued by the back of the knife. Is this an OK deal?

Otherwise I'm interested in a masamoto Usuba for about the same price... 1 x pic attached.
Masamoto White#2 Kasumi Usuba knife 180mm

There's more info online about Masamoto as a brand and thier reputation. But the larger knife and patterning of the hiyasa is enticing..

Thoughts? Thanks in advance (n
Screenshot_20201019-073718_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20201019-073704_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20201019-073556_eBay.jpg
ew member)

Yes, if getting from Blueway. The Hisaya I had was very well made. It had great fit and finish.there are a few members that have them and really like them. I would pick Hisaya over Masamoto.

Last edited:
Also is it a made by Ikeda? The engraving doesn't appear to be the same as other knives he has done...... If not... Who's engraving is it? Hisaya himself?

I have just bought one of these in a private sale. I am expecting it in a day or two. It has exactly the same engraving but with potentially a nicer handle.
After seeing this post. I sent some photos the seller gave me to blueway japan on ebay and I got a reponse from Keiichi:

Hello,

It is a Hisaya blue #2 steel usuba.
It was made by Tatsuo Ikeda in Sakai city more than 20 years ago.
Thank you.

Regards,
Keiichi

One thing I would say is the engraving does not match any newer Ikeda knives.
Do blacksmiths change their markings during their career?

If this is in fact a Tatsuo Ikeda knife, that would surely hold some value right?

The kanji on the knife is going to be of the hisaya brand kanji which no longer exists as a brand. Tatsuo ikeda signature is actually sakai masayuki. Sometimes when blacksmiths are commissioned to create knives for a brand that isn t there own you can find there signature on the tang (nakago) but in my experience with this brand (I own about 12 of these), Tatsuo ikeda, and info I have also gotten off of keiichi, this is not the case. Keiichi at blueway does however sell 100% sakai masayuki from time to time, which are usually techahiki. Either way it has been documented by multiple member here in this forum that the hisaya brand is indeed tatsuo ikeda, and they are one hell of a quality knife. You will just have to get over the fact that you will not find the sakai masayuki kanji. I hope that this ilfo helps. Cheers.

Dylan Sexton

The kanji on the knife is going to be of the hisaya brand kanji which no longer exists as a brand. Tatsuo ikeda signature is actually sakai masayuki. Sometimes when blacksmiths are commissioned to create knives for a brand that isn t there own you can find there signature on the tang (nakago) but in my experience with this brand (I own about 12 of these), Tatsuo ikeda, and info I have also gotten off of keiichi, this is not the case. Keiichi at blueway does however sell 100% sakai masayuki from time to time, which are usually techahiki. Either way it has been documented by multiple member here in this forum that the hisaya brand is indeed tatsuo ikeda, and they are one hell of a quality knife. You will just have to get over the fact that you will not find the sakai masayuki kanji. I hope that this ilfo helps. Cheers.

Dylan Sexton
Wow. Thanks for the informed response I appreciate it!
Where can I find threads on other members experience with these knives? I think I can see another one you're in, but a quick search doesn't get me any other results. Thanks in advance.

Dylan Sexton
On a side note, as of now keiichi at blueway japan online store is no longer selling hisaya. They have all been sold in every style of kasumi knife.

Dylan Sexton

It is worth keeping an eye out for NOS Sakai Masayuki knives from Keiichi. I picked up mine from him a few months ago and am very pleased with it.

Latest posts

Back