Hitohira Kikuchiyo Ginsanko (at carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

labor of love

Reaction score
Discuss

ma_sha1

Reaction score
Haven’t heard of this brand, but I like the spec of this knife, it’s like 225 version of Toyama stainless-clad but with Iron-clad weight, a solid middle-weight.
Height: 50mm; Thickness: 3.1mm: Weight:187g
Should be a good cutter based on the spec. if thin behind edge.

Can’t tell the grind, flat wide bevel or convex?
Price is rather high for silver 3 but most stainless gyuto are stamped, could this one be a forged exception?

Like the KU but don’t love the run-over-b-a-truck tire tread pattern on it

Are you gonna try one out?

PS:
Quote: “many stating “If you use Kikuchiyo’s Ginsan once, you will never replace it”.”

Who are the “many“? Did someone make this up?

Last edited:

friz

Reaction score
I can't say about the steel nor the blacksmith, but I have seen with my own eyes ProTooling one, and I don't like the finish whatsoever. Is something that either you like it or not.

Robert Lavacca

Reaction score
I really enjoy ginsan steel. Before I purchased my western tanaka ginsan 240, I asked Evan at strata about these and he couldn’t say enough good things. Unfortunately, I was in my taller knives only phase and didn’t give it a shot. The shigehiro 270 made me realize you don’t need a tall knife all the time. I don’t think I would buy a ton of ginsan knives but I do really enjoy the steel. This one looks pretty nice. I’m just not a huge fan of anything less than 240 mm. Price is a little high but fit and finish looks pretty good. If a 270 version was released I would maybe give it a shot. Or a takayuki ginsan. I would shoot Evan or Craig a message. Evan seemed to like these. I’m sure for good reason.

JoBone

Jobone_craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently put a new handle on one of these. I don’t remember the details except that I was impressed.

zizirex

Reaction score
Yamatsuka is the blacksmith that specialized in Gin-san, while Shiraki Hamono is one of the blacksmiths that works with Stainless and make it good (Gin-san and VG10)

JimMaple98

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just want to chime in, I have a Kikuchiyo Ginsan 210, but it’s finished by Yohei. I have no idea what he has done heat treatment wise but it’s really nice, I can see why people rave about ginsan done right. I have put one of my own handles on it, though i am not 100% with it and may swap it out

i will be buying more kikuchiyo ginsan, but hate the finish on the gyuto in question on this thread.

would consider a passaround if enough people are interested, but wary of sending it out of AU with the pandemic restricting Shipping