Hitohira Kikuchiyo Ginsanko (at carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t heard of this brand, but I like the spec of this knife, it’s like 225 version of Toyama stainless-clad but with Iron-clad weight, a solid middle-weight.
Height: 50mm; Thickness: 3.1mm: Weight:187g
Should be a good cutter based on the spec. if thin behind edge.

Can’t tell the grind, flat wide bevel or convex?
Price is rather high for silver 3 but most stainless gyuto are stamped, could this one be a forged exception?

Like the KU but don’t love the run-over-b-a-truck tire tread pattern on it

Are you gonna try one out?

PS:
Quote: “many stating “If you use Kikuchiyo’s Ginsan once, you will never replace it”.”

Who are the “many“? Did someone make this up?

Last edited:
I can't say about the steel nor the blacksmith, but I have seen with my own eyes ProTooling one, and I don't like the finish whatsoever. Is something that either you like it or not.

I really enjoy ginsan steel. Before I purchased my western tanaka ginsan 240, I asked Evan at strata about these and he couldn’t say enough good things. Unfortunately, I was in my taller knives only phase and didn’t give it a shot. The shigehiro 270 made me realize you don’t need a tall knife all the time. I don’t think I would buy a ton of ginsan knives but I do really enjoy the steel. This one looks pretty nice. I’m just not a huge fan of anything less than 240 mm. Price is a little high but fit and finish looks pretty good. If a 270 version was released I would maybe give it a shot. Or a takayuki ginsan. I would shoot Evan or Craig a message. Evan seemed to like these. I’m sure for good reason.

The finish might actually just be an old M.C. Escher print.
1601360450987.png

I recently put a new handle on one of these. I don’t remember the details except that I was impressed.

Just want to chime in, I have a Kikuchiyo Ginsan 210, but it’s finished by Yohei. I have no idea what he has done heat treatment wise but it’s really nice, I can see why people rave about ginsan done right. I have put one of my own handles on it, though i am not 100% with it and may swap it out

i will be buying more kikuchiyo ginsan, but hate the finish on the gyuto in question on this thread.

would consider a passaround if enough people are interested, but wary of sending it out of AU with the pandemic restricting Shipping

What are yalls experience sharpening Ginsanko? How does it compare to sharpening vg10?

What are yalls experience sharpening Ginsanko? How does it compare to sharpening vg10?
Much easier imo, probably the nicest stainless I have sharpened if my Kono ys doesn’t count (semi stainless)

Back