Hiya, I need a little help with my Japanese kitchen knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschmitz

Reaction score
Hi, I am from Germany new here and need a little help with my Japanese kitchen knife. Does anyone know the blacksmith of my knife? Unfortunately I can't read the Japanese signs (see attached images).

Cheerio,

Michael

Attachments

• Japanisches Messer-4.JPG
    Japanisches Messer-4.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Japanisches Messer-5.JPG
    Japanisches Messer-5.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 73
I'm fairly certain the top three characters on the backside spell 青鋼ニ (blue steel two). Never seen ニ circled though. The bottom characters are a bit obscured. Maybe if you could get a better closeup of those?

On the front side I haven't been able to crack the top one yet but the bottom one is quite possibly if not almost certainly 水 (mizu, water in English but that's not important as it's part of a name). I'll keep whacking at it!

I'm fairly certain the top three characters on the backside spell 青鋼ニ (blue steel two). Never seen ニ circled though. The bottom characters are a bit obscured. Maybe if you could get a better closeup of those?
You are correct that the first two characters on the ura are 青鋼, the mark in the center though is a maker's mark, not 二. The bottom two characters I don't recognize right off the bat, so I'm not sure what they are.

The second character on the front side is definitely 水, and in this case I think it would most likely be read as sui. Hopefully this helps? I'm gonna go study some more kanji now

The second character on the front side is definitely 水, and in this case I think it would most likely be read as sui.
Possibly. I believe names are mostly read using kun'yomi though (like 正本 as Masamoto and not Seihon), but we're getting a bit off topic here. We'll find out which one makes sense when the first kanji is solved.

I may have figured the front. 寒水 looks really close and on'yomi reading would be "kansui" meaning cold water so it kinda makes more sense than "samumizu". Can't get a proper hit with a search though...

Hi,
I think the knife is from Kobayashi Hontan Seikon Dojo.
There is a lefty yanagiba with the same round kanji or makers mark on the backside available on epicedge.com

Last edited:
Hi,
I think the knife is from Kobayashi Hontan Seikon Dojo.
There is a lefty yanagiba with the same round kanji or makers mark on the backside available on epicedge.com
Nice find! The ura side is identical.

Back