Hobbies

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, wanted to know if any of you have similar other hobbies, or anything interesting you'd be willing to share.

A few of my hobbies, the ones that take my time and money, are:

Firearms, jnats (like thats not others here), fountain pens, folding knives, camping, watches, and high end audio.

Some of these have been a long time hobby and others relatively newer. Anyone have similar or cool other hobbies?

Last edited:
I was also into fountain pens for a while, I especially started enjoying the TWSBI piston barrel. I also like pretty much all sports, building bikes, and playing piano/guitar.

cars! i just ordered a titanium horn button for my steering wheel. it's the small detail things that give such great joy..
FFE8422B-EBCD-423E-9941-81DF9BCCBDA8.jpeg

i got the raw non colored one.

Oil painting not like ice carvings that was a good side business for decades. Most I give away to family and friends. Painters are a dime a dozen in Hawaii. Do it to keep creative juices going and a sense of accomplishment.

Avitar one of my seascapes.

I’m also a hardcore audiophile. I’ve been into audio and music most of my life. Didn’t really get into the highend gear part until a few years ago when I finally felt like I could afford it. I have a Lampizator dac with VC and a couple of different amps. Open baffle speakers in a dedicated 20’x30’ building with a lot of room treatments. I also fly fish at least once a year. For the last few months I’ve been heavy into the knife making hobby spending more time making equipment than making knives although that’s changing now.

Besides food and knives, I'm huge into disc golf. Being able to throw a disc in the outdoors is such a beautiful zen experience.[/QUOTE

Cool have watched that once they have different disks just like clubs.

I used to be good throwing frisbee. One of my girlfriends in 1970's had a black lab that never tired of catch. She also worked in a bookstore picked up frisbee by the Masters tried out a lot of throws with the lab.

Once a guy asked if wanted to throw some. We went to a big Field. I was sending air bounces with a lot of spin for creative catches. After he told he noticed my throwing was much better than my catching. Had to admit that my only frisbee partner was a black lab.

Woodworking making hardwood furniture and cabinets, in my younger days played competitive soccer, camping and back packing also in my younger days, vegetable gardening, firearm shooting and pre-charged pneumatic air rifle rodent shooting, playing golf in senior mens league and cooking. My knife collection started a long time ago with two sets of German knives and six or seven years ago I started buying Japanese knives 14 at last count and a 40 year collection of 20 water stones started with sharpening woodworking tools.

if i could afford to and had the time, i'm 100 percent certain i would be obsessed with sky diving.
I've done only a few tandem jump but definitly the sky diving would be THE hobby for me if time and money.

I've done only a few tandem jump but definitly the sky diving would be THE hobby for me if time and money.

time and money, the two limiting factors lol....

time: always an issue with family!

money: I guess it is always an issue depending on hobbies. I recently got into watches and that is a money pit deluxe. Trying not to repeat my mistakes from when I got into knives lol

I would like to hear what were the mistakes that you made with the knives :). I am lucky in sense that I don't care if I wear watch or not.

bought way too many, didn’t sell enough.

And I bought too many before I figured out what I really like. I found that now (tall blades, 60mm or more 250ish long & Cleavers) but still have too many that don’t fit that profile....

With watches I like too many.... ugh. But it’s easier to read a lot about it which I’m doing now, because I’m trying to avoid the (negative) news as much as possible.

i also set myself a limit of watches that I can buy. Should’ve done that with knives as well.... after hitting the limit: one in, one out, no matter what....

I don’t have any hobbies; I have kids. I used to have hobbies though - and it was great. Now I guess KKF is my hobby :oops:
The hobbies come back once the kids hit their teens. And, seriously, you will regret how quickly that time passes and, at some point, wish it had never ended. Enjoy every minute of it while you can.

My dogs don't catch anything lol. I guess there's part of the reason I like to throw at baskets. Sometimes they catch them. I've seen bad things happen when people try to catch golf discs though, including ambulance rides.

There are well over 20 courses within 2 hours of me, so it's easy to get out with the dogs, or friends, or both, and just take a nice stroll through the course, throwing, walking, putting, maybe drinking a beer. It's nice to escape to nature once in a while.

I tend to lose interest in specific hobbies after a decade or so, but some have lasted significantly longer and a few only a couple years. Vaguely in chronological order from start date: coin collecting, backpacking/camping, bicycling, high end audio, vegetable gardening, baking, photography (film), landscape gardening/design, home brewing, ... I've accumulated books, records, and CDs and have been an avid film viewer for decades but I'm not sure any of that qualifies as a hobby. I'm a home coffee roaster but again I don't see that as a hobby. These days I'm mostly trying to get back on the bike and trying to improve my cooking/baking, knife skills, and knife sharpening.

I used to be pretty deep into amateur astronomy, fishing, and sea kayaking. That was when I lived in South Florida.

Since moving to the Pacific Northwest, those have all dropped away. The skies are crap for astronomy -- not just the clouds but the "seeing" which means the steadiness of the air is also crap with the Jet Stream overhead, compared to Florida. I sold off the big 18" Dobsonian telescope, still have a big standmounted pair of 4" apochromatic binoculars, but they don't get much use.

I don't fish up here because it's too different from Florida, and I don't kayak for the same reason. I know kayaking is popular up here, but the water is too damned cold. If you flip over in the Florida Keys, you just stand up in the shallow 75 deg. F water and climb back in. Flip over in the ice cold water up here, and you die... unless your roll is really good.

The hobby I do have left other than cooking (which goes without saying!) is playing music. I used to play electric Blues guitar in bands, now I've shifted over to acoustic Irish and Scottish traditional music, playing in local pub sessions with friends. Well, used to until the virus hit. I play flute, mandolin, and guitar with this music. Now practicing obscure tunes at home until I can get back together with friends.

Sounds like your Florida similar to Hawaii. I have a 12 inch Dob. My viewing spot behind Koko Head crater blocks the light from Honolulu. Only thing is passing clouds so have to view where clouds are not. Fluid situation. Did a lot of kayak camping. Also used for fishing. Of coarse Surfing was a passion.

My brother got the music genes. Plays regular and slide steel guitar. Tenor sax, piano.

Flute, Mandolin, and guitar I sure you make some good music. Always liked the fiddle too, or violin to some:)

Back