Hog Splitter project.. Interesting discovery.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan09

Reaction score
Always wanted a Hog Splitter but the prices are to much for my blood. Came across this one, and although not the massive normal hog splitter size I figured it would do. Its got a 12" blade and 14" handle.

Handle was wrapped in twine when I got it. Which of course was holding the wood scales on that were broken. Going to re-use them and probably wrap the handle again. Ferrule cap was pretty dinged up and working on getting the dents out. Tang is still rusted.

But anyways, here is the interesting part. Pulled the blade out of evaporust and saw that the blade is forge welded like an axe! I have never seen this before. I own a few cleavers and this is a first for me. I'm probably going to leave it like the pictures instead of buffing up the blade which will surely fade the etch. Thought it was neat and figured I'd share.
20220505_142532.jpg
20220505_142336.jpg
20220505_142314.jpg
20220505_142359.jpg

That is awesome!! What a great restoration project, I love doing stuff like this. Can't wait to see what you do with this project.

If this were my resto I think I'd try and save the best part of the scales for the re-handle job. That old wood, that's already failed, is not gonna leave a lot to work with. I've made a false ferule with reclaimed scales and was very happy with the results. Alternatively I've also sanded old scales down a lot, and used them on top of a thick spacer.

edit: This is what I do\did. The darkest wood in both images is the original scale wood. Possibly ebony???
grebe woman2.jpg

Last edited:
Project is going slow. Took it out of the bath and saw the awesome pattern welded steel(That looks much better in person) I didn't know was there. Might not be interesting for the guys that collect Japanese knives but as someone who has way to many old American and Euro knives I have never come across something like this.
20220510_162109.jpg
20220510_162043.jpg

I'm going to have to agree with Ericfg and rethink my re-handle.

That wood looks to be in pretty rough shape. Know what species it is? For something this old, purposeful (straddles the tool/knife line), and blade heavy, it would be cool to do a wood that shows up a lot in old tools. I'd personally choose lignum vitae if I could find a nice blank that's large enough. Something with some figuring in it would accentuate the banding you have going on there.

No clue what the handles are right now. They're so dinged up and soiled its hard to tell. After seeing how the blade looks now, I don't think I'll re-use them. Just trying to figure out what I want. Used to have a lot of walnut and cherry burl, but traded it to a knifemaker for a knife I ended up never getting :/

Projects on the backburner for now.

pattern welded steel

Beautiful looking!! But I do not think that is pattern welded steel. In pattern welding you are welding two or more different steels together to form a pattern. Your cladding looks like one type of steel.

My guess is that the cladding is a low carbon steel that was folded several times. Maybe it was recycled metal.... or not particularly clean/homogenous stock to begin with. What you are seeing is the weld lines from the folds. A bit like wrought iron... or possibly wrought iron!

Last edited:
I watched a tuna sword in action recently as shown on a video suggested here, and the preparatory work on the tuna was done with a large circular/leaf shaped blade with a handle... Kind of like a cleaver... Since this was Japanese, I wonder if the cleaver blade was forge welded as many knifes are laminated in Japan..
Media - Youtube AWESOME!

Very cool!! I have two hog splitters sitting in my garage storage. Now it makes me want to tear into them like you have.
If you ever want to get rid of them, let me know;)

They are awesome, hardest part is figuring out where to put them!

That's pretty awesome!
What does the stamp read?
With axes the inserted steel bit was a later development to the overlaid bit. Gives a clue to the age. There were makers that made both cleavers and axes.

Well, this got side tracked a lot longer than I expected do to a finger injury. I never found wood I wanted to use and started working on old maple I had...... My heart wasn't in the project, I gave up. Tired of staring at the bare blade on my wall I decided to just stabilize the old scales and darken them with tung oil. Hammered some copper pins to secure them. I like the rustic look, but I can always change it down the road.

BTW, blade looks stamped JMR.

20220619_182926.jpg
20220619_182810.jpg
20220619_182427.jpg
20220619_182248.jpg
20220619_182225.jpg

Well, this got side tracked a lot longer than I expected do to a finger injury. I never found wood I wanted to use and started working on old maple I had...... My heart wasn't in the project, I gave up. Tired of staring at the bare blade on my wall I decided to just stabilize the old scales and darken them with tung oil. Hammered some copper pins to secure them. I like the rustic look, but I can always change it down the road.

BTW, blade looks stamped JMR.

View attachment 185128View attachment 185129View attachment 185130View attachment 185131View attachment 185132
I really like the original handles.

I thought that might be the stamp. I had a manufacturer but it has slipped my mind at the moment.

BTW that's wrought iron, it has an almost wood grain appearance.

Beautiful old craftsmanship.

Latest posts

Back