Hola from México.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis Jiménez

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Luis Jiménez and I'm from Guadalajara México.

The other day I was trying to find Info on asymmetric bevels and I found this jewel A Basic Explanation of Asymmetry by Kippington the small green parrot and I found it very useful, actually I got hooked on it and decided to take a look at the forum.
Looks like I have a ton to learn and here I am. I was lurking for a couple of days and finally I'm introducing myself.

I'm a chef, I have 28 years in the kitchen and I've always considered my knives my most treasured tools, I started in my career with very affordable knives, the "Battlehorses" like Victorinox, but in one of my jobs twenty some years ago I worked with an awesome chinese chef who introduced me to Chinese cleavers, so, I got a like for those knives too ( yes, the ugly cheap ones like the cck with it's raw look and smelly blade) and later I found about japanese knives and all the different stones which made me a big enthusiast on knives and sharpening.

I don't collect knives, so I own a few but they all work hard. My set is the following:
🔪
Mac professional 210 mm
Masamoto HC 210 mm.
Konosuke HD 240mm
Gesshin ginga yo gyuto 270mm
CCK Carbon chinese cleaver.
Mac bread knife.
Victorinox petty knives (I loose those knives a lot, so I go cheap and consider them disposables)

Sharpening gear:
Naniwa flattening stone.
Gesshin 600, 3000 and 8000.
Suehiro rika 6000 - R.I.P. It got several deadly fractures in an accident and it didn't make it 😔
Tormek T-4

Got the tormek out of curiosity and is a great piece of equipment but 90% of my sharpening is freehand on the stones.

I used to like very polished edges but now I rarely go beyond 600 with some stropping on leather without any compound. Now I enjoy toothy edges that slice tomatoes 🍅easily with that lovely gritty feeling.

Best regards to all!
Luis

Hi guys, my name is Luis Jiménez and I'm from Guadalajara México.

The other day I was trying to find Info on asymmetric bevels and I found this jewel A Basic Explanation of Asymmetry by Kippington the small green parrot and I found it very useful, actually I got hooked on it and decided to take a look at the forum.
Looks like I have a ton to learn and here I am. I was lurking for a couple of days and finally I'm introducing myself.

I'm a chef, I have 28 years in the kitchen and I've always considered my knives my most treasured tools, I started in my career with very affordable knives, the "Battlehorses" like Victorinox, but in one of my jobs twenty some years ago I worked with an awesome chinese chef who introduced me to Chinese cleavers, so, I got a like for those knives too ( yes, the ugly cheap ones like the cck with it's raw look and smelly blade) and later I found about japanese knives and all the different stones which made me a big enthusiast on knives and sharpening.

I don't collect knives, so I own a few but they all work hard. My set is the following:
🔪
Mac professional 210 mm
Masamoto HC 210 mm.
Konosuke HD 240mm
Gesshin ginga yo gyuto 270mm
CCK Carbon chinese cleaver.
Mac bread knife.
Victorinox petty knives (I loose those knives a lot, so I go cheap and consider them disposables)

Sharpening gear:
Naniwa flattening stone.
Gesshin 600, 3000 and 8000.
Suehiro rika 6000 - R.I.P. It got several deadly fractures in an accident and it didn't make it 😔
Tormek T-4

Got the tormek out of curiosity and is a great piece of equipment but 90% of my sharpening is freehand on the stones.

I used to like very polished edges but now I rarely go beyond 600 with some stropping on leather without any compound. Now I enjoy toothy edges that slice tomatoes 🍅easily with that lovely gritty feeling.

Best regards to all!
Luis

Hi Luis, that's quite an impressive catalogue of knives. Just a quick question, how long did it take you to get to grips with sharpening stones?

For me, it took one cheap Arcos knife (unfortunately sacrificed in the process) and several weeks of trial and error before I got anything like a decent edge.

Welcome! I hope the collection of information on this forum serves you well like it has so many others!

Hi Luis, that's quite an impressive catalogue of knives. Just a quick question, how long did it take you to get to grips with sharpening stones?

For me, it took one cheap Arcos knife (unfortunately sacrificed in the process) and several weeks of trial and error before I got anything like a decent edge.

Blade sharp dale! Hello, and sorry for my delayed reply:(. That's a great question... when I decided to learn to sharpen I made a huge mistake... I ordered some stones from ************** and two knives too in the same order... I wanted to get good at sharpening, I wanted to learn the difference between a carbon knife and an stainless steel... at the same time... so I messed up the Mac and the Masamoto e HC 210mm at the same time, in a matter of weeks they've lost a quarter of their weight and size :eek::mad::dancingchicken: I know, that wasn't the smartest or cheapest way to learn. I should have learned the whole process victimizing my old fibrox, but no!. If I mess it up, it has to be big time (pretty much the story of my life). I think that now I'm a bit more competent but still with a lot to learn and scratching the side of my knives ocassionally. :rolleyes:.
LOL
Hopefully I'll learn from you all.
Best regards from México!.

Bienvenido.

Pase un rato cocinando en DF, y me enamore con la comida mexicana.

Illyria... muchas gracias por tus palabras, me encanta escuchar cuando alguien habla con amor de nuestra cocina. Muchos saludos and thanks for the warm welcome amiga! :)

Pujol es un gran restaurante. Aprendí un montón allá.

Back