Hola from Virginia, opinions on a new one?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momochop

Reaction score
31 years old, been cooking my whole life. Not a pro but I'd say a pretty good hobbyist, won a few small scale competitions here and there. I had a Shun classic gifted to me 8 years ago that was my foray into nice knives... was surprised to hear so much smack about it here. But I must say I am very excited to get some higher end Japanese knives.

What do all the knife scholars think of this knife?? Seems like a lot of knife for $130!
https://www.**************.com/harukaze240.html
I need to do that full survey, but briefly I am right handed, like wa handles, prefer something less maintenance, doesn't need to be all stainless but definitely prefer less maintenance, with a hammered or otherwise unique look, I mainly slice veggies and meat. Knowing my obsessive nature I know I'm eventually going to end up with too many knives... sigh.

What do you all think of this kamagata? Looks too pretty Masakage Kumo Kamagata 110mm

So looking forward to learning on this forum!

Welcome! Where in VA are you located? There are a few of us around DC, and a couple around Richmond and Charlottesville.

That's sick! I am between Richmond and Charlottesville, and frequent DC. Currently residing in Richmond and go back to Cville full time late June where I'm a surgery resident!

Are you getting to do much surgery at the moment?

We have been fortunate that the first wave of Covid did not hit us very hard. We had a ban on non urgent elctive surgery that is currently in the process of being lifted.

I can't comment on either knife that you mentioned but the thing that you pay for in good knives is the time and skill required to make a good knife. Yes, steel is somewhat important but the heat treatment of that steel is exponentially more important. More important again is the grind (cross-sectional geometry) of the knife, which is what determines how it performs in food.

While damascus patterns are certainly pretty, they can be a bit of a painnin a working knife. Every time you thin the knife, you'll need to re-polish and re-etch the blade. This is certainly doable but if you are anything like me, you will run out of time for this sort of stuff.

Do do the questionairre.

In a new thread in "The Kitchen Knife".

Before you make any decisions.

We love helping people spend their hard-earned on knives.

I can't comment on either knife that you mentioned but the thing that you pay for in good knives is the time and skill required to make a good knife. Yes, steel is somewhat important but the heat treatment of that steel is exponentially more important. More important again is the grind (cross-sectional geometry) of the knife, which is what determines how it performs in food.

While damascus patterns are certainly pretty, they can be a bit of a painnin a working knife. Every time you thin the knife, you'll need to re-polish and re-etch the blade. This is certainly doable but if you are anything like me, you will run out of time for this sort of stuff.

Do do the questionairre.

In a new thread in "The Kitchen Knife".

Before you make any decisions.

We love helping people spend their hard-earned on knives.

Love it! Will do.

We have had several cases (around 30) that are + and had banned all electives.. just now getting back to a near full schedule though. There definitely wasn't a "surge" the way that was being projected but not exactly out of the woods yet either...

USA--Virginia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Looking for a 210 Gyuto, also a nakiri. Should I get something else too for all my meat trimming?

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese!

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210 for Gyuto, ?? for Nakiri

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) I do prefer low maintenance but not a hard requirement. have never owned a non stainless knife

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? Would like to keep it <$200, but can be convinced to spend more if truly a huge difference..

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

I cook with a lot of beef and lamb, fish... trimming meats. Potato cutting!

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Had an old Shun classic 8" chef's knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push chop, sometimes rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Sharpness, aesthetics... Working on getting into sharpening knives too.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I like dark wood handles, love the tsushime style finishes or something unique that will help with food release

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Not too picky here... so long as not too uncomfortable!

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Ease of use is good... less food reactivity is a plus!

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Long time is good!

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes (end grain wood)
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No but would like to get into it
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Definitely!
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I purchased a 1000 grit stone on the way from knifewear

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

You will get the most opinions if you start a new "which knife to buy" thread in "the kitchen knife" forum.

Then cut and paste your questionairre into your post in that thread.

Love it! Will do.

We have had several cases (around 30) that are + and had banned all electives.. just now getting back to a near full schedule though. There definitely wasn't a "surge" the way that was being projected but not exactly out of the woods yet either...
Similar situation here. We had maybe 15 cases and only fatality here so far. Things are slowly starting up again. Still a bit nervous about subsequent waves given the complete lack of immunity.

And winter is comming...

Agreed... Will see what happens. And thank you for the rec, I will copy and repost!

That's sick! I am between Richmond and Charlottesville, and frequent DC. Currently residing in Richmond and go back to Cville full time late June where I'm a surgery resident!

Hey man. You must be at UVA right? Im a UVA rad onc resident. I have a few j knives and a few stones, and less experience than many around here. But once you're back in Cville, if you every want to try anything out before buying just shoot me a PM.

Hey man. You must be at UVA right? Im a UVA rad onc resident. I have a few j knives and a few stones, and less experience than many around here. But once you're back in Cville, if you every want to try anything out before buying just shoot me a PM.

That's awesome... I'll DM you!

Back