Honmamon “Kiyokane”

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Paul6001

Banned
Reaction score
Any knowledge/experience about this knife? It seems almost too good to be true. Aogami super, HRC 64, very cool black/rustic finish. $136 from the company’s own site. All the reviews I can find are positive, but there aren’t too many of them. Something to add?

dwalker

Reaction score
Everything I see says 61hrc. Amazon has the 240 mm for $83. Provably worth that but I would expect a clunky grind with little distal taper. It would likely make a good project knife or a tough beater.

Paul6001

Banned
Reaction score
There’s a cheaper version (non-“super”) at 61. Amazon carries both but charges a bit more than the company itself.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Tosa style knives are very rustic. Often laquer over kurouchi. Thicker spines, but decently thin at the edge. I like them tons in the shorter (165mm) funayuki and bunka style; they lose a bit of charm in gyuto lengths. Handles are pure crap, but easily upgradable. Much cheaper examples can be found (Hida Tool), but often use lesser steels. True aogami would be a plus, and worth the slightly higher charge. Also, check out Gekko on ebay. Great kurouchi and nashiji style knives in shirogami and aogami for sub $100.

James

Reaction score
I bought and sold one a few years back. Definitely not a laser. I'll post the choil shot in a bit