Honyaki? I don't get it ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP, you still here somewhere?

Yes, I am still here and glad that the subject received so much discussion.

I have read most of the posts, yet only understood about 25% of them because I know nothing about making knives out of steel. My initial assessment is pretty much the same now -- as it applies to my personal tastes and knife requirements. The analogy of expensive Swiss watch still applies from my perspective, but perhaps that will change some day. For now, my main objective is to become a better knife sharpener and a better home chef.

I'm definitely probably talking about those things.

Mostly the "ashi"/legs though.

I didn't watch the video but I'd bet he leaves more variability in as forged thickness (maybe even pressing slight depressions in a press?), does the autohamon, then the even bevel grind shows up the legs. Like you, I was initially skeptical that this was done without clay, but I can see how it's possible...

I didn't watch the video but I'd bet he leaves more variability in as forged thickness (maybe even pressing slight depressions in a press?), does the autohamon, then the even bevel grind shows up the legs. Like you, I was initially skeptical that this was done without clay, but I can see how it's possible...

Maybe, but I think it's more likely that "knifemaker who can do clayless hamon" somehow became "knifemaker who only does clayless hamon".

Personally I think the hamon shown is beautiful and shows the high skill level of the maker, however it was made- clay or no clay, water or oil, in a 500 yr old Japanese forge on a misty mountainside or in the parking lot of an Akron shopping mall.

Buying a honyaki for the home is like buying a Nissan Z or Mazda Myata for grocery shopping.

Buying a honyaki for the home is like buying a Nissan Z or Mazda Myata for grocery shopping.

When does practical mean much. Many home cooks here have knife collections that would put a vast majority in the industry to shame. A Honyaki on a end grain board will still cut well & look cool, a sports car is pretty useless for a Costco run. :D

When does practical mean much. Many home cooks here have knife collections that would put a vast majority in the industry to shame. A Honyaki on a end grain board will still cut well & look cool, a sports car is pretty useless for a Costco run. :D
It's kind of like how many watch collectors can have dozens or hundreds of watches. At the end of the day, you only have two wrists and it is not practicle for the average person to drive a sports car, where a rolex everyday, or cook meals regularly with a hynoki. I don't care how many knife nerds browse this forum.

I mean I sorta agree with you but at the same time many if not most pros can't afford honyaki or don't want to spend that kind of bank on a knife, I'm still glad a market exists overseas(outside of Japan) anyway.

I mean I sorta agree with you but at the same time many if not most pros can't afford honyaki or don't want to spend that kind of bank on a knife, I'm still glad a market exists overseas(outside of Japan) anyway.
Its like going to a strip club where the cover is $25 and the lap dances are $50 per song. It is not meant for the average Joe or even high paid white color employee. It is a place where lobbyests try to convince politicians to support or kill various legislation. I myself tend to avoid restaurants where most of the clientele has an expense account even if I can afford the food.

Its like going to a strip club where the cover is $25 and the lap dances are $50 per song. It is not meant for the average Joe or even high paid white color employee. It is a place where lobbyests try to convince politicians to support or kill various legislation. I myself tend to avoid restaurants where most of the clientele has an expense account even if I can afford the food.
So McDonalds and Burger King are your restaurants of your choice?

So McDonalds and Burger King are your restaurants of your choice?

I prefer Wendy's myself. as I said in the sharpening thread about the $150 sandpaper holder, it is all in how you want to spend your money. Is a $1000 honyaki really going to cut that much better than a properly sharpened $5 Kitchen Essential? a chef friend said he had the money and bought 5 very nice, expensive knives to use at work. after two months, 2 were stolen, the others "borrowed" and tore up. His work knife roll now is Dexter or Mundial. when edge can no longer be sharpened using a steel, they go to thrift store and he buys a new one.
are honyaki examples of good craftsmanship and skill? is it ok to charge high prices so the craftsman is properly paid for his time? will a properly sharpened less expensive knife do kitchen tasks as well? yes to all

That escalated to an oddly specific frame of reference.

The real question is: are they differentially naked strippers?

Taco Bell once in a while, Mcdonalds have not been in one for 20 years. Eaten a quite a few Whoppers. At least they have some vegetables. These days they all have double beef patties, cheese, & bacon no vegetables if I ate one of those might keel over with a heart attack. :O

My fast food these days is L&L Drive Inn, I like their Shrimp Curry.

Taco Bell once in a while, Mcdonalds have not been in one for 20 years. Eaten a quite a few Whoppers. At least they have some vegetables. These days they all have double beef patties, cheese, & bacon no vegetables if I ate one of those might keel over with a heart attack. :O

My fast food these days is L&L Drive Inn, I like their Shrimp Curry.

Loco Moco!

I think the last few posts demonstrate that conversations are easier, with fewer misunderstandings, when there is a clear set of terms and words everyone can refer to. Unless of course the conversation is about defined those words and terms.

Forget about fast food. It is all about the fast casual.

I know they are mostly the same but I want to mantain my stance of making superior health choices.

....I'd like to hear from people that have used multiple honyakis and tell me which one is their favorite and why....(hold steady, just changing the direction of this thread some)....

....I'd like to hear from people that have used multiple honyakis and tell me which one is their favorite and why....(hold steady, just changing the direction of this thread some)....

i currently got myself a collection of honyaki. makers are Ikeda(and his passed brother Tatsuo)/togashi/ashi/shiraki. My personal favorite are from Yoshikazu Ikeda and Kenji Togashi. The Togashi has more weight to it then all the others,which I like since most of the other are rather thin and light blades. I think the person who grinds it and finishes the profile changes it a lot for me and i just so happen to really like the Ikeda profiles i have. I got them in a widee range of steels to and in all honestly they all feel the same to me in all aspects, go figure.

I'm waiting for Jon to get in one of those western Gingas I remember (at least I think I remember) from several years ago... hopefully by the time one comes back I have saved the coin for it

Latest posts

Back