Honyaki mountain Fuji with moon? worth the money?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_7820.jpg

Here we go, ikeda Fuji moon.

I'm a huge fan of Yoshikazu Ikeda knives, have three in suminagashi clad Blue #1. Great grind, fit and finish. I paid something like $500 for the nakiri and long petty, a bit less for the shorter petty. That already seemed like a lot of money but I think I got my money's worth. Excellent knives.

I would like an Ikeda honyaki one day, maybe a shorter suji, and that's gonna cost up in the $1500 range. I think I'll pass on a $2,600 knife just for the moon and Fuji. I couldn't bear to use something like that for actual cooking, and that's all I want my knives for. I'll never be a collector. No disrespect to collectors... I know that's a thing.

I'm a huge fan of Yoshikazu Ikeda knives, have three in suminagashi clad Blue #1. Great grind, fit and finish. I paid something like $500 for the nakiri and long petty, a bit less for the shorter petty. That already seemed like a lot of money but I think I got my money's worth. Excellent knives.

I would like an Ikeda honyaki one day, maybe a shorter suji, and that's gonna cost up in the $1500 range. I think I'll pass on a $2,600 knife just for the moon and Fuji. I couldn't bear to use something like that for actual cooking, and that's all I want my knives for. I'll never be a collector. No disrespect to collectors... I know that's a thing.

Good for you man, You might wanna act quick on the ikedas, he is close to retirement.

I want one of these, and I don’t usually go in for anything that doesn’t translate to performance especially if it costs a lot. But the moon Hamon is so f_____g cool! And I’d get the double moon, sun & moon, etc. if I could find it, and I’d absolutely use it in the kitchen.

I want one of these, and I don’t usually go in for anything that doesn’t translate to performance especially if it costs a lot. But the moon Hamon is so f_____g cool! And I’d get the double moon, sun & moon, etc. if I could find it, and I’d absolutely use it in the kitchen.

I know where to get one, I can find you the link

Awesome! Anyways, do you have any super close-up photos that you took right at the sun/moon areas on the blades haha? I’m curious perhaps like some others in this thread. thank you! Congratulations on your wonderful Genkai Masakuni collection.

Not really, only have my iPhone. What are you looking for specifically? And thanks, I enjoy them a lot!!
Awesome! Anyways, do you have any super close-up photos that you took right at the sun/moon areas on the blades haha? I’m curious perhaps like some others in this thread. thank you! Congratulations on your wonderful Genkai Masakuni collection.

A gold plated Lamborgini isn't hard to get... if you have money! :D
I can't help it the world works like that :D:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A few craftsmen I know can make that Fujiyama hamon. All Sakai makers though, don't know any from other regions.

Genkai Masakuni
Shiraki Kenichi
Tatsuo Ikeda

All of them either retired or dead now. Not sure if any younger guys do this now.

Hmmm. I think they would be surprised to hear of their early demise.
As far as I know they are all alive and making knives. (albeit in limited numbers)
I hope they are, as I have recently had knives on order from all 3 of them!!!!

Hmmm. I think they would be surprised to hear of their early demise.
As far as I know they are all alive and making knives. (albeit in limited numbers)
I hope they are, as I have recently had knives on order from all 3 of them!!!!

Tatsuo is very much dead

Link doesn't work for me
What is fr-fr.facebook.?

Nvm ... https://m.facebook.com/razorsharp.sg/posts/1701986333202255

Sorry, as those who have clicked the links will note, I found the information from a Razorsharp of Singapore facebook post. I have not done business with them in the past. I am aware that some on KKF have.

Here is the post for those who prefer not to test the link:

"
Sakai Kikumori Mt Fuji Honyaki 240mm Made by Nakagawas-san of Shiraki Hamono

CNY Promotion SGD1650 (blade only)

Only a handful of makers makes a Mt Fuji Hamon pattern. We believe only 3 in Sakai. Genkai~san just retired or about to, Ikeda~san who made a few, a few month back and Nakagawa~san who shot to prominence after Shiraki~san retired with this hamon design. Many pieces have been made by him. A quiet and unassuming young maker about 40 years old has been an apprentice of Shiraki~san and worked with him abt 15 years. He has taken over the main blacksmith responsibilities of Shiraki Hamono. Eventually the market will pay attention more to this young man who has many more years ahead as a knifemaker of Sakai and afterall, there are only a handful of young blacksmiths there

a Well forged blade as evidence by the fine line and clarity of the hamon , mirror polish, wide bevel ( thin behind the edge) in White 2 steel that is easy to sharpen and maintain. Extra height ( along with a slight increase in weight) makes it a good work horse and many years of service.

b. Full service support for repairs and warranty claims within 30 days against manufacturing defect.

blade dimensions

Blade length: 225mm
Blade height: at heel 53mm
Spine thickness at heel: 3.64mm
Weight:174.7g

#honyaki #shirogami2 #white2 #sakaikikumori #kawamurahamono#shirakihamono #razorsharp #razorsharpsg #gyuto #kitchenknife#nakagawa #craftmen #sakai #mountfuji
"

Ok lets do some correction about Honyaki moon pattern...
Real Honyaki moon patern (i mean by real the first) Was made by Genkai Okishiba, the senpai master of Tatsuo Ikeda. His work wasnt mirror polishing but Sakai traditional finishing like cloudy Kasumi finishing but the mountain and the moon was all handmade during the forge process. Sakai Tohji, the first japanese knife brand (7th generation) have all the real Okishiba knives, and sell it sometime for special customer.
Here on the pics its a real one, engraved with Sakai Tohji brand name on the blade but with Okishiba kanji engraved in the tang. (You can see this wonderful blade in the excellent shop Razor Sharp in Singapore.

Attachments

• genkai-okishiba-honyaki-yanagiba-330mm-back-close_1_orig.jpg
    genkai-okishiba-honyaki-yanagiba-330mm-back-close_1_orig.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 171
  • genkai-okishiba-honyaki-yanagiba-330mm-tang_1_orig.jpg
    genkai-okishiba-honyaki-yanagiba-330mm-tang_1_orig.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 160
But, we can find other Honyaki Fuji mountain with moon... which look more a sun unfortunately.
Ikeda Yoshikazu, Enami or other blacksmith of Sakai make it. Often with mirror polishing finishin. We know people like and spend money so we polish it ^-^"

As you can see on the pic today maker design it on ryoba too even at first it was for yanagiba. You can see also now the moon is just draw with sand blast not during the forge.
(Gyuto Honyaki Yoshikazu Ikeda)

Attachments

• 67201214_703128743535356_416753952474791936_n.jpg
    67201214_703128743535356_416753952474791936_n.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 122
Back