Honyaki prices bordering the absurd!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...does it affect the knife when it's so "short" like a chefs knife?
...if there is enough of a difference, even if it could be measured, for a human to feel.
Let me put it this way - Untempered martensite is considered quite brittle, but breaking it with your bare hands - edge to spine - is nowhere as easy as you probably think. I'd very much need a large hammer to do it.
Despite this, many differentially hardened blades pull themselves apart within seconds along this axis, sometimes in multiple spots. So yes, I totally think the effect would be strong enough for a human to feel.

I could probably come up with a better example, but it's 2:30am here. :confused:

Last edited:
Let me put it this way - Untempered martensite is considered quite brittle, but breaking it with your bare hands - spine to edge - is nowhere as easy as you might think.
Despite this, many differentially hardened blades pull themselves apart within seconds along the Y axis. So yes, I totally think the effect would be strong enough for a human to feel.

I could probably come up with a better example, but it's 2:30am here. :confused:

Go to bed....not arguing, you might very well be right, but the example doesn't prove it, the blade pulling itself apart does not prove that you could tell the difference between honyaki and fully hardened mono of the same hardness as the hard part of the honyaki on the board. It does prove there are tension/compression, whatever forces and very strong ones at that. Anyway, it is all academic anyway until someone makes 2 similar blades;)

I thought we were discussing if one could tell a difference between a "forged" honyaki vs a stock removal (also forged)?? Is it a new topic now?

I thought we were discussing if one could tell a difference between a "forged" honyaki vs a stock removal (also forged)?? Is it a new topic now?

Yes and yes. You know how it works around here;)
Reference thread title if not clear:)

All is fair when discussing price and its qualification as absurd:D. We all agree, that supply demand is part of it, but there appears to be a true performance benefit, if so the price might be justified or maybe even low. So in order to discuss the OP, we need to explore all the tangents....

San mai makes a “thud” and mono makes a “ting”. You can hear the ting in salty videos when he uses his KS.
Then again thick mono likely doesn’t make that “ting” sound.
Just an observation.

Best feeling knife i have ever felt on a board was the mac "pro" dimpled santoku. It just felt so solid and massive somehow, and indestructable. its cryoed aus8 at 60hrc or so.

it makes ting sound when played as an instrument only. Not in regular use imo.

my English is too poor to speak in this thread , but we really need a good English metallurgist here....

I'm not a metallurgist, but I am an engineer- My take is that the fundamental resonant frequency and first few modes of a honyaki and a san-mai knife of identical dimensions all-around should be the same.

What could be different, and maybe very different is the damping factor, and as a secondary effect some non-linear harmonic effects.

However that would be evident in impulses to the side of the knife. The stiffness from an edge-to-board impulse (like chopping) is so high that I can't see how the resulting response could be noticeably different. It would be interesting to put an accelerometer on the two and measure the impulse response to see.

Or maybe that's all B.S. and I have no idea what I'm talking about :)

A thick mono can also ting; like my old nogent Sab... well it's thick in the spine:)

Last edited:
Needs to be a solid thud. I quite like it. Maybe I'm weird. Or maybe you're the weird one? ;)

Some of my favorite knives are san-mai but i go mono when it's an option.

Oil quenched White 3 honyaki?
That feels like buying a Ferrari with an old Volvo engine to me[emoji15]
All white steel need a super fast quench and the very best way is water, allways.

Follow up to that, would @labor of love and @Matus be discussing the aforementioned knife in this other thread?
I don't quite follow your question. You quoted me from an another thread where (unless I am mistaken) the Jikko honyaki by JNS was mentioned. Could you maybe rephrase your question with a little more clarity?

I don't quite follow your question. You quoted me from an another thread where (unless I am mistaken) the Jikko honyaki by JNS was mentioned. Could you maybe rephrase your question with a little more clarity?

Yeah, sorry about that. Basically I was trying to gather more information on the Jikko Honyaki here.
I wanted to see if this knife is the topic of discussion for the original post on this thread.

I also wanted to see if you and @labor of love were referring to it in the Tanaka Yoshikazu JNS thread. I figured your conversation in that thread was derailing from the original topic and quoted your comments into this thread because I thought it would be more relevant to the discussion here.

Of course, all of this is moot if the knife I am trying to learn about is not in anyway related to this thread or your conversation with labor of love from the Y Tanaka-JNS thread.

EDIT: basically, does the Jikko Honyaki I linked have grind issues and is it overpriced?

Yeah, sorry about that. Basically I was trying to gather more information on the Jikko Honyaki here.
I wanted to see if this knife is the topic of discussion for the original post on this thread.

I also wanted to see if you and @labor of love were referring to it in the Tanaka Yoshikazu JNS thread. I figured your conversation in that thread was derailing from the original topic and quoted your comments into this thread because I thought it would be more relevant to the discussion here.

Of course, all of this is moot if the knife I am trying to learn about is not in anyway related to this thread or your conversation with labor of love from the Y Tanaka-JNS thread.

EDIT: basically, does the Jikko Honyaki I linked have grind issues and is it overpriced?
Not the Jikko you are linking. The other Jikko Honyaki is this one that JNS sold. Maksim sold a few but didn't restock. Come to your own conclusions
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/jikko-mizo-honyaki-gyuto-240mm/?setCurrencyId=7

Back