Hope you've already got your DT ITK fix.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how I managed to stay out of this for so long. LOL

As a family man, and a new business owner, I don't have lots of excess funds.

I love knives, and own many. Two to three hundred dollars is about the limit I can spend at one time. I have Kono's, Takeda's, Moritaka's, Watanabe's, etc...

The DT ITK was always that knife, that although on the higher end of what I could afford, was still obtainable. It was my gateway to the custom world.

@ $490 I am unfortunately out of the league...simple. No need for an explanation of price increase. I get it. Just a little sad I hadn't jumped on an ITK as of yet.

Hopefully I can still get a Carter funi someday soon, as those are still reasonably obtainable within my budget...

Mr. Hoss, I think your knives wouldn't have this ten + page thread, if they weren't an awesome product. You have always been an invaluable and positive addition to the forum community. Thank you.

Mr. Hoss, I think your knives wouldn't have this ten + page thread, if they weren't an awesome product. You have always been an invaluable and positive addition to the forum community. Thank you.

:plus1:
This thread has become more of an argument about which makers are better, American or Japanese, than anything else. Let's try and remember we all love knives and keep the discussion on topic and friendly.

I'd like to add that, although I have never personally owned a high end custom, I have been lucky enough to handle a few of Salty's, as he is a good friend and mentor to my business partner and I, and has shared much wisdom with us both...

A knife like Salty's feather damascus scimiter is something, that even with years of training, most of us could never replicate. That is true talent. True talent demands $$$$!!!

People still pay thousands for a signed and numbered artist's print......

I only have one problem: I never ever thought I'd have Buyer's Remorse with DT ITK knives I've purchased before the price increase.

Why?

It's not because of the knives themselves. I love my 240mm AEB-L and 150mm CS DT's with a passion.

It because I can't help but obsess about what I'm missing for the 40% increase from what I already have.

Because what I already have is wonderful. What will Hoss provide for that increase, which he has already said that he would do?

I will always enjoy my DT ITK knives but if Hoss improves on a wonderful item, what am I missing out on??!?!?

Reminds me of those Apple buyers who... aw dang! I brought up the A word!!! Oh no! :shocked3:

Keep the products coming, Devin. Price them as you see fit. It's the American dream.

I owe Devin an apology.

I am sorry to have made the comments about his increase, not so much because of the money side but that i implied his knives are not worth the new price, that is wrong they are worth the new price. I just dont like the idea of paying it and its potential knock on effect

The whole US v Japan thing is silly and has no place on the forum in any form, both places make excellent if different knives.

Alan

I actually really uspet with Hoss because he can only make crude handles like the below !!!

D00264AA-5056-A345-0C3C6BBF54BFFE77[1].jpg

Seriously

Ive seen a lot of attractive handle designs over the last few months but that is just fantastic !!

Alan

Yeah, Devin has been throwing trash like that around for a while.

Kidding aside. I would love to see a proper gallery of Devin's custom work on KKF.

k.

OK

Back to knives

Do you think that damascus handle would look good on a AEB-L kniife ? im thinking the contrast would be kinda sexy.

Alan

*Post Removed*

EDIT: I made it 6 pages into this thread before I typed up a response. But I've since gone back and read the rest of the posts and felt it was no longer helpful, useful, or relevant as the conversation looks like it progressed past where it had been, so I deleted it. Sorry! I guess that'll teach me to look (to the end of a thread) before I leap :wink:

I am pretty sure that is real mokume, I remember that knife and thought it was for sell about 8 months ago on ebay...if it is the same knife I am thinking about.

Just to add my own opinion, I don't own an ITK and never will, but I don't really have a problem with the price increase. The demand is much higher than the supply and if the new ones are gonna be better, why not? I just hope there isn't a flood of people trying to sell theirs to make a profit now which kind of happened when Misono raised their prices

I think we all have to put this into perspective. To be honest, it does seem like we expect a lot for the money we pay; however, in comparison to most other hobbies (audio, cars, photography), KITCHEN KNIVES ARE FRIGGIN CHEAP. For less than 2k, we can already get some of the best knives out there; this is is not the case for other trivial pursuits (I know camera equipment goes upwards of several thousand dollars; heck I thought my friend was crazy for buying a $300 tripod). We can probably do 99.9% of the things with do with lesser knives, but the ones we buy are high performance luxury goods and as such, they should be priced accordingly.

Devin T should increase the price if he could make more money doing other things; in fact, I'm surprised that he hasn't done it earlier given that there was not much profit at the earlier pricing. If they sell out (as before), this is just a testament to his skill and how much we value it. Frankly, I'd much rather get a DT ITK (at new prices) than a Zwilling Kramer. Why? DT is an artisan, his knives are great, and I'd rather he get my money than some large, well established company.

god damn... so much good stuff rolling around these days. I remember when a misono was a priceless piece art, Masamoto's where probably thought of as forged by the cyclops or something.

I hope that all of you keep complaining about Devin's new pricing and don't buy ANY of his new knives. That way, when I am jonesing for a new DT ITK, I will be able to get one immediately without waiting 4 months or more.:)

Just kidding, but I do think that the original pricing was too low and I hope that Devin's business continues to flourish!

All knives cost too much, and I am NOT going to buy a Shigafusa until they cut their prices in half! And I will NOT buy one of those feather damascus jobbies with the mokume bolsters for any more than 50 bucks!
That will show em!

This thread is pretty bad, I'm buying a gyuto at the new price.

And if a carbon petty in wenge/butterscotch ever shows up again, I'll get that too.

Would I rather pay $5 for one? Sure, but it wouldn't keep Devin making the product. This will. Pretty simple.

Well if he grew his own food and made his own electricity and smelted his own iron and got people to work for free then he he wouldn't have to charge for his work!

Depends what "better" is... M

Been away for a while, and most of the rest of this thread is crap...

I don't have a problem w/ Devin increasing his prices, and I find it appealing that he's willing to improve his product for the increased price. As a small business owner myself who has taken a beating in the past couple of years, I'm all for a great craftsman like him getting paid for what his time and product are worth. I hope he sells every knife he makes for whatever he decides to charge and makes a nice profit. There's no need for him to subsidize any knife-knut's addiction.

My concern is are the AEB-L ITK's really worth $500 +/- when compared to other knives in that price range, mainly f/ Japanese makers? There are a lot of great knives in that $500 range from many makers. On this and other forums is where I primarily get my info about what's what - lots of ooh's and aah's about several Japanese maker's knives and for some of Devin's knives, but mixed feedback about the ITK. "Better" is purely subjective and differs for everyone. I've heard great things and not-so-great things about the ITK - and the not-so-great things are why I didn't jump on one sooner.

I’m in the market for a new higher-end knife. If the new ITK’s are really as good or “better”, it’ll surely make my short list.

Back