Hope you've already got your DT ITK fix.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the price increase on the latest batch over @ %*&!????

Seems to be about 40%........

Yes, I noticed that too, I was going to email mark to see if it was a typo, lol. Hopefully it means more money for Devin. I will say that it is still a great knife at the new price.

Pretty wild, almost $500 for a 240, i think i payed $340 when i got mine way back.

Well, if they are selling out at $350, why not raise the price, right? Plus, if Pierre is going to be running mid-techs there, I would imagine they aren't going to be $200, lol. You think Devin's are going to be the same price? Who knows? Maybe they are going to be better or more consistent than previous batches. Very interesting. That's getting close to Devin's custom pricing. Maybe the customs are going to go up, too?

Damn, that's a pretty big jump. It's been a year since I've sold mine...if only I could of held out and made a small profit.

Many gyutos have a pricetag around $500 - so guess it's not a big deal ...

I talked to Mark about the price increase yesterday. At the old price Devin didn't have enough incentive to make very many and chose to spend more time on his custom orders. At this new price point Mark is hoping Devin will be able to increase production of the mid-tech offerings.

I talked to Mark about the price increase yesterday. At the old price Devin didn't have enough incentive to make very many and chose to spend more time on his custom orders. At this new price point Mark is hoping Devin will be able to increase production of the mid-tech offerings.

We'll just have to see if the sales keep up enough after the price increase to make that true.

We'll just have to see if the sales keep up enough after the price increase to make that true.

Yup. It looks much more attractive, to me at least, at $340. If there is an improvement in quality like TK said obviously that would be different.

I'm just glad as hell that I bought my 270 and 240 out of the last batch. That pair was almost $300 less that what they cost now. I was going to pickup a 210 just to round out my ITKs but I think I'll save my money for something else. At the old price the knives seemed to bet bought up pretty quickly. That seems to me to indicate that they were underpriced. I think the new price has gone a little too far in the other direction, but being the holidays maybe people will snatch them up anyway.

It's been mentioned that the price hike will mean the new batches will have better F&F.

It's been mentioned that the price hike will mean the new batches will have better F&F.

The old batches had pretty dang good fit and finish, in fact, I am not sure it can get much better, save burl handles and mosiac pins.

Sadly I was looking to buy one. Now I lost interest. I would sooner spend just a little extra and get a custom at that price point.

Sadly I was looking to buy one. Now I lost interest. I would sooner spend just a little extra and get a custom at that price point.

I feel the same. I really wanted to get one since I've heard so much praise. But @ $540 for a 270 that's in the price range of too many other knives that are prolly "better."

Sorry about the price increase.

We just couldn't make any money at the old price. I was trying to keep the price down. I found that the expectation was too high for the price and decided to put more work into them and charge more money.

We have never upped the price since we started making them two years ago. A full custom is 1 1/2 times what these are.

They are thinner, straighter, and over all cleaner.

Hoss

Assuming that the custom makers will sell you one at that price point after seeing this thread. :lol2:

Glad you can get fair prices for your work, Hoss. That is tough to do over in the regular knife world these days, let me tell you!!!!
Sorry about the price increase.

We just couldn't make any money at the old price. I was trying to keep the price down. I found that the expectation was too high for the price and decided to put more work into them and charge more money.

We have never upped the price since we started making them two years ago. A full custom is 1 1/2 times what these are.

They are thinner, straighter, and over all cleaner.

Hoss

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same. I really wanted to get one since I've heard so much praise. But @ $540 for a 270 that's in the price range of too many other knives that are prolly "better."

Depends what "better" is. If you value performance, i.e. edge retention, grind, sharpen-ability, I can't think of many knives out there that are distinctly better in this price range. If you mean cheaper, yes, there are plenty crappy knives that are cheaper. There also plenty of crappy knives that are more expensive, or on par with ITK price.

For a knife that has a top notch heat treatment, excellent steel, excellent geometry, excellent fit and finish (at new prices), excellent handle, all work done on premises (with exception of water-jet cutting), grinding and finishing all by Devin, why are his prices out of ordinary? These are semi-custom knives.

M

AND Hoss takes a haircut on the ones that are sold through retailers regardless of the price. If water jet cutting is all that is being done outside of his shop, then I question even calling these knives "mid tech" unless one considers the use of a metal cutting bandsaw to be an essential part of the artistic process.:D
Depends what "better" is. If you value performance, i.e. edge retention, grind, sharpen-ability, I can't think of many knives out there that are distinctly better in this price range. If you mean cheaper, yes, there are plenty crappy knives that are cheaper. There also plenty of crappy knives that are more expensive, or on par with ITK price.

For a knife that has a top notch heat treatment, excellent steel, excellent geometry, excellent fit and finish (at new prices), excellent handle, all work done on premises (with exception of water-jet cutting), grinding and finishing all by Devin, why are his prices out of ordinary? These are semi-custom knives.

M

AND Hoss takes a haircut on the ones that are sold through retailers regardless of the price...
I thought it was a complimentary spit-shine. Don't tell me I've been taken! :D

These were never mid-tech knives, but they were introduced as mid-tech and it stuck to them.

M

The DT knives are great but for a stock knife a 50% increase seems very steep.

Do people like Marko, Dave M, Mike Davis etc lose money when they make a 240 knife ? it seems to me as a layman that these makers put more custom effort into one of their knives, especially in terms of F&F. I can see the DT knives being great knives but they do not have the f&f to justify a 50% hike

If CTKG can get these higher prices though and still sell out then why wouldnt they, will be interesting to see if the used ones go up now with people trying to cash in.

Alan

I really like my 240 ITK (stainless), but I don't think you could pry the carbon petty out of my hands even after I've been dead for a year. Truely a wonderful knife.

We had a couple retired chefs over for dinner last night, and they were looking at my knifes kinda asking 'why?'. In fact, one brought a couple food-service knives with him to prep some food for a catering job he had today. The other guy picked up the petty to mince a shallot, and basically said "holy crap, what is this thing? It is really, really sharp!"

I hope to have a DT custom one day to go with the ITKs. But I am not unhappy at all with what I already have :happymug:

Yep. They were too dang cheap before.

Don't tell me you guys haven't all dropped $400+ on a great knife before. Seriously.

I can see the DT knives being great knives but they do not have the f&f to justify a 50% hike

Alan

Respectfully, I have to disagree, first off, IMO, they were priced too low to begin with, secondly they certainly do have the fit and finish to justify the new price. Considering that Devin now says he is going to put more work into them to make them that much better makes them still an attractive option, especially considering his phenomenal knife making skills.

Back