Horizontal swipes on onions are overrated

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also never do horizontal cuts. They just make a mess of the onion as it is just falling apart. They are not needed except for the 2 sides. But those I cut really thinly with vertical cuts so no issue...

I have seen people do opposite diagonal cuts as opposed to horizontal and vertical.

I still like the horizontal flick though onions, shallots, garlic, and radishes. Maybe I am still too new at this nice knife thing”, but I find it satisfying.

Although I haven’t tried in a while, I remember it being slightly harder to peel the onion with the root on, and not hard to keep the onion all together during cutting without it.

I found another relevant video in my collection. From when I was testing this 360 g behemoth Sabatier. I do vertical cuts and then slices and then dices and then I give it a little two handed action at the end. I know that's another technique people are told not to do with Japanese knives. I do it all the time. I also rock/walk chop with Chinese cleavers. But we'll save those for different threads. This one has stayed surprisingly on topic with onions.

I do do vertical cuts and I must say (against the grain of this thread, it seems), I quite like the technique.
uff, thank you, i thought i am only one here using this ordinary technique.

I do do vertical cuts and I must say (against the grain of this thread, it seems), I quite like the technique.
I'm getting mixed up as to what vertical and horizontal mean in this thread.

Are you saying you only cut in one direction prior to the final cut, or do you mean you're doing perpendicular cuts with the onion on its end?

My method for fine dice, presenation quality, featuring a very nice Dalman Gyuto.
Most dishes don't need this level of precision though.

Brilliant, Kippington! To each his own, of course, but your method is quick and productive, and it allows you to handle the onion much more securely and provides a better view of your knife* as you work: efficiency & safety - an excellant combination.

* And a lovely knife that is, indeed!

Haha, this thread keeps going and there started to be a "FreshDirect" banner popping up on this thread! A surprise (usually lots of knife banners! FreshDirect is like amazon for produce/veggies/groceries kind of thing.)

This thread got way more traction than I thought it would. Personally, I use a mix of several of these methods, just depends on what I'm trying to do with the onion and how much time I have to do it in. No wrong or right way....except maybe the slap chop.

Yeah I also keep the root on. What's the logic behind taking it off, root-removers?

I cut off the root because it makes the onion easier to peel quickly, and it makes a flat surface I can use to steady the onion when cutting it in half before dicing. It's also a little easier on the blade edge, because it means I'm not cutting through the harder root/stem when cutting the onion in half.

Back