Horror knife stories

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderBear

Reaction score
We all have them. Let's share them here. I'll start:

Visiting family in California. Just cooked a meal with this santoku.

Fp2g5QU.jpg

rYModcL.jpg

:D

That's why I don't let my family touch my good knives. Some of them think they are for prying, breaking ice, pounding through frozen meat, breaking melted sugar candy, etc. The good thing is when the knife gets dull my dad goes right to the cement curb and sharpens it right back. I wonder what grit that is. Got to say he is pretty good at it though.

We gave my mother-in-law a decent gyuto to take back home to Russia a couple years ago. Within a month my father-in-law broke the blade working on his car.

The following year her brother cut his hand on a kitchen knife while working on his car.

I can't make this sheet up! Apparently gyutos can do just about everything in the kitchen and under the hood.

A long time ago my uncle asked me for my folder, since according to him, I was the only one in the family with sharp knives. Thinking nothing of it, I was young at the time, I gave it to him. He proceeds to cut carpet that was laying right on top of the concrete floor. After he cut all the pieces he needed he gives it back to me and says, "See, I knew you would have a sharp knife....". The knife was not sharp after that, but I learned a few valuable lessons. First, if someone asks you for your knife ask what they plan to do with it. Second, concrete vs thin, sharp edge...concrete wins.

I'm told that a requirement for all knives in this household is that they all have a broken tip so the uncle can "safely" use them as screwdrivers. Safely. :confused:

Regardless of how I have tried to explain the safety of a sharp v dull knife, my mother has always said she prefers a dull knife because it is "safer". I used to bring knives to the holidays to help with prep, but my family would abuse them when using or washing them so I now just bring along a stone and pick the best knife or two and give them a sharpening. Nothing too fancy just get a usable edge on them.

My mother's paring knives always look like they have been used to pry things open and have missing chunks of metal so I just bring along a couple of Victorinox ones and throw hers away and leave the new ones behind knowing next year I will repeat the exercise.

It's all over Europe like this. Took me years to change very little, but I did change something. I guess it has to snowball on the long run.

Sadly it's like that here in Canada as well...I suspect it's like that globally...

Take care

Jeff

Regardless of how I have tried to explain the safety of a sharp v dull knife, my mother has always said she prefers a dull knife because it is "safer". I used to bring knives to the holidays to help with prep, but my family would abuse them when using or washing them so I now just bring along a stone and pick the best knife or two and give them a sharpening. Nothing too fancy just get a usable edge on them.

My mother's paring knives always look like they have been used to pry things open and have missing chunks of metal so I just bring along a couple of Victorinox ones and throw hers away and leave the new ones behind knowing next year I will repeat the exercise.

That sounds like my future in-laws. They visited, I told them to be careful with the knives on the wall because they're sharp. Their response: "We don't like sharp knives. My skin is really thin from my medications, so I can't use sharp knives"

There was just so many things wrong in that sentence I decided to not argue and told them to use a very old very dull Cuisinart knife I had in a drawer somewhere.

No pictures, but a video would have been awesome. I always host an everyone invited Thanksgiving meal with 25+ family members attending and quite a few bottles of wine consumed. After slicing the ham and turkey I wiped my Kurosaki 240 and put it behind my coffee maker. Figured it would be safe there until a final cleaning before going back in storage. My extremely helpful brother in law went to work cleaning dishes while the rest of us enjoyed second helpings. Guess he spotted my not so hidden knife and pulled it through a folded sponge to clean it up. Edge towards his palm unfortunately. It went through the sponge and laid open the palm of his hand - side to side and a few millimeters deep. He screamed and threw the knife into the sink tipping it. There was a surprising amount of blood and he almost fainted. The only upside is we didn’t end up in the ER as I’m a veterinary surgeon and repaired the laceration with tissue glue and some butterflies. Lesson learned- my whole family knows I’m not kidding when I say my knives are sharp and I now wash, dry and store all my knives immediately if there’s any company.

That sounds like my future in-laws. They visited, I told them to be careful with the knives on the wall because they're sharp. Their response: "We don't like sharp knives. My skin is really thin from my medications, so I can't use sharp knives"

This is was recently related to me on another (non-knife forum) when discussing kitchen knives -

When my kids were young, the in-laws broke the tips off all our knives for safety.

You'd have loved that.

... My extremely helpful brother in law...spotted my ...knife and pulled it through a folded sponge ... Edge towards his palm unfortunately. It went through the sponge and laid open the palm of his hand - side to side and a few millimeters deep....The only upside is ...I’m a veterinary surgeon and repaired the laceration with tissue glue and some butterflies..

Wow. That must have left a mess. Nice of you to patch it up. I would have finished the job wrapping his whole hand into a huge white imobile and unusable blob so he has to explain to everyone how careless he was.

Reminds me when I cut my middle finger and it looked to my sister in law like I was "giving her the finger."

I know some Kai Shun horror stories :D I restored lots of knifes but ~95% chipped and broken knives are from Kai. It brings me to the conclusion, that Kai has poor quality.
Another cool Kai feature is the rattle handle. Anybody here has the same Problem too? Two of the last 15 Knives were with this problem.
The washer rattles because it was not tightened enough.
Anybody know a method to remove the Handle endcap without damaging the knife?

Last edited:
That's the biggest postorder sharpening business in sweden looking like. They're also known for trying really hard to censor critics and unhappy customers :(
Yeah, I have had to ask several relatives to not use them. Their methods seem... Unclear. And Sand grinder-y. Poor all those Swedish globals.

I restored lots of knifes but ~95% chipped and broken knives are from Kai. It brings me to the conclusion, that Kai has poor quality.
I'm not sure that is the correct conclusion. More likely, because Shun/Kai is one of the most popular brands of Japanese knives out there, many more people own a Shun as opposed to knives from other makers. Ergo, there are lots more abused Shun knives around than from other brands.

Moreover, because—quite likely—Shun is the first Japanese knife for many people (who also don't have experience with Japanese knives and don't know how much more fragile they are than, say, German ones), they are ever so much more likely to damage the blade through improper use.

Disclaimer: I do have a horse in this race. I own a Shun Hiro Gyuto (SG-2). I really like using that knife. It has (and retains) a very good edge. For some things I do, I really prefer the more rounded profile, and the knife sits well in my hand. Sharpening is easy and takes only a little longer than sharpening white #2. And I have to sharpen SG-2 only half as frequently.

Shun knives are expensive, mass-produced, and not collectible. But they have fit and finishing that is second to none and are made from premium steels. Not desirable to many, without character, for sure, but definitely not poor quality (in my opinion).

Back