Hot Take: Does anyone actually use a Nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given a nakiri in Japan 3o0 years ago--and I'm still using it--but now with a Xinzao that's wider and heavier, and a Chinese vegetable cleaver.

Now, if you want weird... I like nakiris and love my tall Wat Pro but I seem to prefer shorter (height) gyuto's. Once a gyuto gets up to around 50mm+, I find myself reaching for those with less height. Maybe it's because I do more rock chopping with gytuos so I like the shorter height but I do more push cutting with nakiri so the height works.

I usually tell myself and others that I only like 240 mm gyutos but ever since I have a Kisuke Manaka B#2 170 mm Nakiri that is the knife I reach the most for prep and I love to sharpen it as well. I use it so much and sharpen it so much that I am close to the cladding line already in less then a year. I am a home cook but I cook almost every day sometimes multiple meals.

Why do I like it so much? I think it just feels so comfortable, agile and easy to use. I can be really fast prepping with it if I need to but I can take it nice and slow and enjoy. It’s tall (56 mm at the heel and 51-ish at the tip) so it’s super easy to scoop produce from the cutting board and it’s not to bad to move stuff around, even though I much more like the long gyuto to move produce around. I would probably love it even more if it was 2 cm longer and even slightly taller.

An important note, I mainly use a Asahi cutting board which is not nice for rocking so I tend to use push cutting and other variations that play nicer with the grabbiness of the cutting board.

I am also biased towards gyutos, but I do use my nakiri occasionally, it's fun.
Yeah, this is my perspective too. It's just fun to mix it up sometimes.
I haven't found the need to use a nakiri due to performance lacking with a gyuto.
But eventually I get sick of using a knife with no tip.

I only use my Nakiri out of occasional knife-guilt when I’m not doing any protein work. I think some of that is because it’s nothing special (cuts like a laser, but sticks) so it doesn’t necessarily entice me into using it.

So... Serious question...

What exactly is it the tip of a gyuto brings to the board that is so important? This gets said a lot but I sincerely am not sure why it so strongly held. A properly executed nakiri is quite capable out at the end.

This brunoise of garlic was done with a nakiri:

It's still about geometry.

Maybe it's a visual thing? Meaning it is easier to see a narrow tip on fine tasks than on the blocky nakiri? I could, uh hum, see that.

I probably put more value in the heel than I do the tip of a knife.

Chinese chef's have been getting along quite well without a tip for a hoop of years. It also doesn't seem like the tip/no tip comments come up nearly as often when talking cleavers vs. nakiris.

So I'm curious, what, in general home cooking tasks makes the fine tip of a gyuto that valuable?

I got my first one 40 years ago. Used mostly for vegies. It was for home use, and I still have it, though well worn
and in retirement in the souvenir drawer. I got a tall H. Togashi 180 in W1 to replace it, but it hasn't gotten the use I was expecting. A few things about it weren't working for me, maybe I'll try it again.

So... Serious question...

What exactly is it the tip of a gyuto brings to the board that is so important? This gets said a lot but I sincerely am not sure why it so strongly held. A properly executed nakiri is quite capable out at the end.

This brunoise of garlic was done with a nakiri:

It's still about geometry.

Maybe it's a visual thing? Meaning it is easier to see a narrow tip on fine tasks than on the blocky nakiri? I could, uh hum, see that.

I probably put more value in the heel than I do the tip of a knife.

Chinese chef's have been getting along quite well without a tip for a hoop of years. It also doesn't seem like the tip/no tip comments come up nearly as often when talking cleavers vs. nakiris.

So I'm curious, what, in general home cooking tasks makes the fine tip of a gyuto that valuable?

For what it's worth, on the comparison to Chinese caidao, those tend to have a square end (and thus basically a right angle tip) that you can use for procedures requiring a pointy end, whereas I find most nakiri have a rounded end. This of course varies by knife

That said, I agree the usefulness of a pointed tip is a bit overstated sometimes. It could be useful when you need to do some really fine work, but then a 240mm gyuto probably isn't the best candidate for that anyway (pointed tip or not).

I tell you guys maz is the king of all worlds. Real tip + fffffat spine + taper = small chopping fury. It fits the bill for two finger hold tip slicing as it’s unfortunately pretty low.

Now knife guilt is a new term but a very old feeling. Cute one.

One reason I like mine (that has very little to do with the shape) is mine came chubby bte. I thought I thinned it when I was a noob but no. Huge fail. As a result it’s tougher than nails and I can flail it around, twist out avocado pits and smash stuff with the spine.

Maybe it’s because I don’t have a super workhorse 180 gyuto. Still. I freaking love flat spots.

Rarely, but yeah, I do every now and then:

45126050tj.jpeg

45126051tw.jpeg

In a smaller professional kitchen I think they are fantastic. Enough cutting power to be able to chop through ingredients with that ‘fun-fall-through-ingredients’ feeling but without a tip to worry about breaking.

And as far as benefits to a regular tip I will say that using the front tip corner of a Nakiri works very well. I personally no longer have to work in a tiny kitchen (although I am about to have to again with a new restaurant opening) so I generally reach for a CCK 1303 instead but it is essentially the exact same on a slightly larger scale. I use the corner tip of my CCK the same way I use a gyuto tip (horizontal cuts/small dicing/til draw) and it works phenomenally.

Over all, as many people said, it’s just a fun knife to use. One could of course use a gyuto for the same tasks but something about that long flat edge just feels oh so good.

I have a 180 Toyama Nakiri and i love that thing to death. We do eat quite a bit of vegetables so it makes prep super fun, but i am also someone who loves a tall Bunka.

If i cut more bigger pieces of protein or fish i would probably get knives for that as well but the family hates fish for the most part unless it's fish sticks or she will by frozen salmon filets once in a blue moon for a spaghetti dish. But protein you ain't buying huge cuts here in Germany like i would back in the states because it is just so pricy so it's usually Gulasch meat pre cut from the butcher or ground beef/pork, chicken does happen a lot but it doesn't need any special chopping that my Victorinox brisket knife couldn't handle.

I usually prefer giant gyutos and cleavers. I find gyutos less than 240mm in length to be too short to be much use to me and I have not kept any smaller than 240. But I have a little 165mm nakiri that I love and use all of the time for cooking at home. Nothing better for getting ready for a big stew/curry/stir fry. A nakiri has a perfectly functional tip on the heel. Just rotate it around. And even without a tip at the toe a nakiri works well for draw cuts. And a little one is small enough for in hand peeling and slicing work. Mine is gently curved so I can still rock a little. It is a laser but has hand forged swells and hollows that give it excellent food release geometry.

I love my Nakiri's and use them all the time. For lettuce & cabbage I always use Nakiri, for e.g. bell peppers and mushrooms I prefer a short Gyuto or a petty, for the rest I just use what's in my hand :)
Santoku's on the other hand - if I want the tip I pick a gyuto, if I want the flat edge I use the Nakiri. Never reach for my Santoku anymore.

I keep buying gyutos because differences between them are more stark and I make a point to use them more to justify purchases and learn intricacies buuuuut I actually find my nakiris preferable for the vast majority of vegetable tasks, which is the vast majority of my prep. I need a 240 gyuto to equal a 170/180 nakiri for sweet spot. I think that's why I gravitate towards gyuto profiles with some curve like S. Tanaka or Munetoshi because it separates the genres more for me. Every time I pick up my Shindo or Kochi nakiri I question why I spent so much money on gyutos.

I also think the no-tip discourse is way overblown. All 3 of my nakiri have a rounded tip and those rounded tips are sharp as hell, You just have to adjust your technique when using it but I find them very capable. I concur with others that nakiris are easier to get precise brunoise etc. with. The 170-180 mm range is really a sweet spot for me with them.

To muddle things more I've tasted a ~205mm Chopper King small slicer that has a teeny bit of curve and seems to be a fun nakiri gyuto hybrid in feel/utility and I'm having a blast with it.

I just used mine last night because of this thread, so thank you for that.

If I have one complaint about my nakiri it is about the length, or lack of length. I have the space and just enjoy a 240 length more than the 165mm length of my nakiri. With some stuff, I have to drag cut a bit then rock backwards to complete the cut. With a 240, most stuff is chopped in one motion.

Me thinks a 240 nakiri is in the cards at some point. For science analysis, obviously

If I have one complaint about my nakiri it is about the length, or lack of length. I have the space and just enjoy a 240 length more than the 165mm length of my nakiri. With some stuff, I have to drag cut a bit then rock backwards to complete the cut. With a 240, most stuff is chopped in one motion.

Me thinks a 240 nakiri is in the cards at some point. For science analysis, obviously

Sounds like a fine @MSicardCutlery project! ;)

I saw that one. Looks awesome and rustic, which I like, but I think it's way too tall for me. Short person, tall working surface. I'm assuming it would be too tall, as I haven't used anything taller than my 57mm tall nakiri. 53-55 seems to be my sweet spot. I think I'm gonna pick up a cheap Chinese cleaver and do some testing.

Sorry to derail from the originally schedule nakiri programming

I have a Hinokuni 210 nakiri that's pretty pleasant, though it's a thicker more workhorse grind than a Kochi nakiri, it does have better food release and doesn't suffer from stiction like a cleaver though. I intend to delve into the 240 nakiri game soon as well, but I want a laser edged one

Never bought a Nakiri all these years. Had used plenty cleavers. Finding using more small blades at home, found a reasonable priced carbon Nakiri & decided to try one.

Almost bought a Watanabe Nakiri years ago, bought a Wat. fish Deba instead sold my Deba when I retired. When started buying fresh fish from Chinatown bought the Wat. Deba. Have two Watanabe iron clad gyuto.

One I bought this month put a very sharp edge on the blue #2 steel. It has a thin grind.
Falls through large carrots. Kyohei 170mm.
Find myself using mainly because still very sharp. If I need tip got plenty of those on magblock.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back