Hot tea.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
My grandmother bought this tea. Handed down two disc of it to my mom. My aunts were pissed. Somehow I ended up with the tea. Me? Hell; pulled out the pocket knife and steeped some. It’s very old. It’s a fermented tea my family brought back when they escaped China.

I’m not saving it. I don’t know crap about it. Except it is rich tasting. Smoky and deeply tea flavored.

I’m using some contraption from Taipei.

Who’s drinking tea? I’ll try to take a pic of the other intact disc. Later. Hopefully some of you all can educate me about it.

Attachments

• 362317AD-2781-46D3-8962-7457E3FC5322.jpeg
    362317AD-2781-46D3-8962-7457E3FC5322.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 45D4543F-A4AF-4F7B-9144-6E5BA243C563.jpeg
    45D4543F-A4AF-4F7B-9144-6E5BA243C563.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 81
Might be a puer. You should do flash brews of 15seconds to a minute. If you steep it too long, it gets too tannic and you lose all the nuances

Don't know a lot about teas. I do drink one that sounds like your description though. Its called lapsang souchong. My wife says it smells like I'm drinking a campfire! I like it though.
20181121_134013.jpg
20181121_134055.jpg

My grandmother bought this tea. Handed down two disc of it to my mom. My aunts were pissed. Somehow I ended up with the tea. Me? Hell; pulled out the pocket knife and steeped some. It’s very old. It’s a fermented tea my family brought back when they escaped China.

I’m not saving it. I don’t know crap about it. Except it is rich tasting. Smoky and deeply tea flavored.

Who’s drinking tea? I’ll try to take a pic of the other intact disc. Later. Hopefully some of you all can educate me about it.

I agree with changy915 that you probably have puer although there are multiple varieties of puer. There is a fairly good intro to gong fu tea brewing here https://white2tea.com/2014/06/13/make-puerh-tea-gong-fu-style/ I would start with a water temperature just below boiling. Start with fresh water as multiple reheatings drives free oxygen out of the water which can adversely effect taste. Purists use filtered or bottled water unless you have exceptionally good tap water, but you don't want distilled or reverse osmosis water, both of which have too low mineral content for optimum tea (or coffee) taste. When I do gong fu brewing I start with a very short steep, say 30 seconds, for the first infusion and then increase the steeping time with each subsequent infusion. Water quality, tea to water ratio by weight, brewing water temperature, and length of steep and number of steepings all effect taste. You just have to experiment to find the optimum variables for your palate.
I mostly drink black orthodox Assams from India and Keemuns from China but I also enjoy puer, oolongs, green and white teas.

This perhaps?

1. Da-Hong Pao Tea – $1.2 million per kilo

Back