How apron brand Hedley & Bennett started manufacturing masks in 24 hours

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRC_64

Reaction score
This may be interesting to some of you, and since its industry related figured I would post for discussion.

The seamstresses and LA factory for Hedley & Bennett are making face masks for non-technical uses during the COVID-19 outbreak. Interestingly, they are approximating n95 filtration using HEPA (~n99) filter inserts sourced from DIY channels. The goals of this exervise isn't to replace medical or certified industrial masks in their intended applications, but to provide usable masks for people who need to be out in public and would other wise start hoarding industrial or medical masks (n95 and other versions). Or at least this is my best guess at a summary.

Read full story here>

Bennett owns a factory in Los Angeles that makes high-end aprons for consumers as well as restaurant workers. She’d already sent her employees home to comply with California’s order that nonessential businesses close. But on Friday, she called her head of design along with some seamstresses to see how they could use their materials to start making masks. She also called up a family friend, Robert Cho, who’s the chief of staff for Shriners for Children Medical Center in Pasadena. Together, they developed a prototype for a mask in a single day, then moved to start mass-producing it.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9048073...y-switched-to-manufacturing-masks-in-24-hours

good on her. I think that’s great they are doing that. H&B makes a lot of great stuff. Just can get a little pricey for any cook/chef in the industry who doesn’t make a ton of money. As for the mask I guess you would have to do laundry more often if you only bought a couple just to make sure it’s washed after every use. I don’t think it would be impossible to find filter material right now like some other supplies. Unfortunately if others start making masks like this it might. After places started selling out of hand sanitizer, they then started to sell out of aloe vera gel and alcohol because people were making their own. Either way, this is great because it will get something into the people’s hands who need them until stock comes back. Anything helps in a situation like this. People are struggling to find the most simple things.

Back