How are places doing in vaccine stage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
In couple weeks 70+ that's us

Loves Bakery is closing down for good after over 100 years in Hawaii. Laying off over 200 workers. Much of their business was Hotels & other eating places. They have been getting competition from smaller bakery & bread shipped from mainland. Still grocery shelves were loaded with Loves bread forever to the present.

Quite a few small business have folded for good, can't pay the rent.

Public schools not open yet. Quite a few private schools are.

Mask are still mandatory & cases are falling to very few a day

Lets see:
I have gotten both shots
Schools have mostly been open, 5 days a week, but shorter days
Many small businesses are gone or will be.
I know too many people milking unemployment
Scared what the stimulus will do to future taxes to pay it all back.
Masks still mandatory and the rate is approaching 1 again which is bad for spreading
New variants can send us back months of gains if the vaccine doesnt help against them.

Many of the older bars, dive bars, and good neighborhood bars have closed. Very few will re-open. Most will be replaced with whatever soulless disneyfication powerful restaurant groups find marketable.

In general, a lot of people and businesses took a hit. Just walking down the street is a reminder.

Last edited:
Loves is going to sell off their baking equipment. The way I see it bakers will always be around no matter where you live rich & poor countries.

When largest bakery in Hawaii calls it quits, someone will step up to fill the void.

DC area is a mixed bagged. It's boom or bust for businesses. Lots of restaurants are getting by, quite a few have closed and quite a few new ones have opened. It's mostly dependent on how quickly each place decided to embrace carry out/ delivery -- which a surprisingly large number of higher-end places have done. Since this area is DC, Maryland and Virginia, with a handful of different counties/ cities in the 'burbs, vaccine rollout is a bit all over the map. Thankfully my 78 year old father, who lives in DC, has received the first round. In general for those younger than 65 I don't think we'll get vaccinated until May or June. The various school systems all have different reopening plans; my son's school system starts hybrid learning in 1-1/2 weeks 9but we are keeping him at home).

As stated above, there is a need for particular services, so if one provider shuts down others step in to fill the void. People are not eating less; just getting prepared food from restaurants less and buying more from places that will deliver groceries/ supplies. Construction is still booming, and all gov't employees are working (vast majority via telecommuting).

Only shots around here are double Ristretto's...they say a million (out of 17M) have been vaccinated, I was not aware that we have over a million folks>80 as I know nobody who has been vaccinated by now.

I had both jabs a month ago. Now fully protected I visited my favourite Izakaya Japanese restaurant last Saturday after a year hiatus. Its a real hole-in-the-wall place and space always at a premium pre-covid with 60 min + waits at the weekend. Good to see they weathered the restrictions. Social distancing, masks etc and far fewer patrons. Food had improved too. I will go back soon, as if there is one establishment I want to survive, its this one. I may rethink this if they take Gov Abbotts plans to open businesses 100% with no masking requirements. Very shortsighted by the authorities with the low percentage of people vaccinated.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-max-irving

Only shots around here are double Ristretto's...they say a million (out of 17M) have been vaccinated, I was not aware that we have over a million folks>80 as I know nobody who has been vaccinated by now.
Fwiw, 1M is first shot, and includes other categories than elderly (healthcare professionals, etc).

Currently building up my immune system the natural way...

same here, as it turns out Coffee is a natural cure for many things, so I don't sweat it ;-)
Would be great to be able to go out for a drink, or have some friends over for dinner for that matter.

Rural Minnesota seems to be doing fairly well but vaccine access in the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area is stil (IMO) poor except perhaps for the very old. I have a friend who is a nurse and he received his second dose more than six weeks ago but for average citizens, even those 65+, not much is happening.

Here in Nebraska, surprisingly few businesses have closed. High rent areas near event centers are where most closures are focused. Lots of new places opening up. The labor supply is extremely low; a lot of employers have been searching for months and aren't even getting applicants.

Vaccinations are moving forward slowly, my wife has gotten both. I probably won't be until sometime this summer.

Thankfully, our school district has been open 5 days a week since August.

I'm in Evanston, IL just north of Chicago. I just got an email saying residents 65+ in Illinois can sign up for their vaccines which I believe is up from 75+ a week ago. The rest of my family (parents 50-ish and brother mid 20s) are getting their vaccines sometime this month as they work in education and clinical lab work, but they don't live in Illinois either.

Lots of places in downtown Evanston have folded though and it's kind of sad since the already pretty empty downtown has become even emptier (from a college student perspective). However, on campus admin has started allowing more in person stuff so I can go to triathlon practice and work at the outdoor garden and such. Also more classes are becoming hybrid and have in-person components although it's optional.

I don't see myself getting the vaccine anytime soon as I'm a 21yr old college student graduating into a very non-essential and WFH business, although by the time I start I think vaccines should be available to everybody. However, the university I'm at has pretty impressive access to testing. We've been getting tested weekly through lab testing and when shipping got bad because of the weather the university switched to rapid testing where we get our results in 30-min. Now we're required to get two tests a week, one rapid and one lab test. In comparison to the university my parents work at in Arkansas, they said that they didn't have enough testing capacity to test everybody much less twice a week!

Back