How are you coping? What are you doing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lets leave the science and what is happening where you live in the COVID thread. Let's make this thread a place to share how you feel ,what you are doing , and support each other. Especially those who are suffering. ?

Im just nervous about my girlfriend who is a nurse. Im also home from work on self quarantine so trying to stay busy. Going to do some body weight excersizes and sharpen the few knives i have at home

Trying to contain my rage when interacting with my 5 yr old.

More seriously, going to parks a lot. We have a 3 big open parks within 5 minutes of our house in Boston (maybe a total of 900 acres?) and I've been taking my son to them every day. Feels great to be out in nature. Other than that, testing out a cool Heiji nakiri from @CiderBear and trying half-heartedly to work on math.

So far, I'm fine but I am worried about the large number of working people who are or will soon be out of work. I just returned from my preferred local coffee roaster, their business is mostly wholesale to restaurants in a four state area so they are seeing their business cash flow dry up this week. I also have some friends with underlying health issues that make them likely goners if they catch Covid-19 so that is another concern.

I have practiced meditation for years which keeps me fairly sane and I look forward to more time to read, watch movies, work on too long deferred household projects, ride my bike, and sit.

The panic-buying is annoying me. I went to get stuff for a sandwich, but there was no bread, butter, meat, cheese, eggs etc. My second idea was a pasta dish, but that was all gone too.

Otherwise, I'm not worried this saga will effect me in a major way.
Very glad I don't work in healthcare. Just thinking about that nightmare makes my head hurt.

Sad. My county is the worst hit in the State we dont have tp hand sanitizer chicken or meat but eggs mik and bread are ok for now. I didn't realize there was such a run on food. Thanks for posting what you are dealing with will come to us all. If you can find an Asian market get rice. Good luck be safe

People are scared and it’s making this whole thing harder than it needs to be. Panic buying driving scarcity and not sure if we can get enough food for the coming days.
Hope everyone stays safe

Toilet paper hoarding started in japan as the pubic s believed tp was from China not true and Japanese govt had to do a psa that tp is made in Japan. 90 % of US antibiotics are made in China since we dont make incandescent here most all are light bulbs are made in china. Some hypertension meds are made in India. Hording is not helpful but it is easily understood.
No one wants to die of infection or heart disease in the dark. . i cook in a church kitchen until i took over shopping we were using frozen mixed veg from China cook to 165. Which means they knew it was contaminated. I can by local for less than restaurant depot.
China is buying up US pork producers . enough of my rant but there are reasons fear is not stupidity.

Last edited:
i couldnt even find hot dogs for a cook out with some friends yesterday. so stupid!!

range ammo is all gone too, apparently they think bullets are going to protect them from a virus.

No school, no work. (Un?) luckily, I'm in the research side of health work, and everything non-essential has been paused till June, so I have nothing to do but a lot of video games and recipes I still want to try.

Last year, too busy with work, I barely started to get my garden in and then had no time to maintain it. Had my least successful garden in 30 years.

Looks like I'll have plenty of time this spring/summer, starting some seeds now. Working on a garden usually makes me happier, plus I suspect I'll be needing the food.

I'm retired so no real change other than more frequent shopping for basics (when available). However my wife's been getting chemo/radio for weeks now so many hospital visits - daily for the last two months. Her immune system is crap and we've been very conscious of hygiene - washing and sanitizing for what feels like forever - well before coronavirus reared its head. Our local libraries and gym have closed, so too has our TCM practitioner. Even the radiology dept is only allowing patients into their rooms - no carers.

Edit: The superannuation that I live on has been hammered. :(

I'm retired so no real change other than more frequent shopping for basics (when available). However my wife's been getting chemo/radio for weeks now so many hospital visits - daily for the last two months. Her immune system is crap and we've been very conscious of hygiene - washing and sanitizing for what feels like forever - well before coronavirus reared its head. Our local libraries and gym have closed, so too has our TCM practitioner. Even the radiology dept is only allowing patients into their rooms - no carers.

Edit: The superannuation that I live on has been hammered. :(
Im in the same boat as you man. My wife just finished her chemo, starting her radiation in three weeks, when we have to goto the hospital everyday. On top of that kids and neices school is closed, so Im super busy just taking care of everyone. Ive been telling everyone to wash their hands like the person they love the most has a compromise immune system.

Hope your wife feels better, cancer sucks!

Good luck to us both

Im in the same boat as you man. My wife just finished her chemo, starting her radiation in three weeks, when we have to goto the hospital everyday. On top of that kids and neices school is closed, so Im super busy just taking care of everyone. Ive been telling everyone to wash their hands like the person they love the most has a compromise immune system.

Hope your wife feels better, cancer sucks!

Good luck to us both

@Marek07 @Xenif
That's tough. Experienced my grandmother suffering through 30 years of breast cancer/chemo/and hospitals (only to die of mesothelioma from asbestos). Best wishes and luck to you both in these hard times.

Between the flu and this i have only been out 4 times in a month. My seeds came so i will start them indoors today. Something positive i can do to put veg on the table this summer.

I’ll hopefully never say this again..but I still have taxes to file..So that’ll keep me busy for a few hours.

Since I’m not a proficient sharpener I’m gonna keep at it with whatever knife I can get my hands on. Maybe try my hand at thinning, though I’m sure it’ll be a disaster.

maybe try to break my bad habits and open a book. Though I’ll probably watch tv instead.
But I’ll try to watch food docs and iron chef and anything food related that keeps my spirits up while I miss out on my daily structure that I need.

Uncertain time for me since I’m trying to transition into a new job. Obviously my two job lead interviews have been postponed and haven’t heard a word in days. Not expecting them to be on the table when we return to normality.

& I’ll pace. A lot.

Latest posts

Back