How 'bout that sawjihiki

Discussion in 'Dalman Knives' started by Nikabrik, Nov 18, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 18, 2018 #1

Nikabrik

Nikabrik

Nikabrik

2. Nov 19, 2018 #2

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

Thanks Nik. I tried it for prepping a couple of meals and liked it alot. Was good to get confirmation hrc testresults in just before the weekend that I got target hardness, steel performs good, not stinky reactive either I felt on the contrary. The blade being so thin I was concerned it might be overly flexy, but it definately felt stiff enough for chef knife use, and being fully hardened mono it always comes back true so you don't need to worry about it taking a bend. The grind works perfectly on this thickness those kindof widebevels are smooth cutting and give some release function.

I stumbled upon almost 300 saws for this shape. So there will be small batches made of these, and price should be good. I don't know yet. I will know first when I make a batch, how long they take to make, and price based on that. Cheers :)

3. Nov 19, 2018 #3

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

And here was I, thinking that this was going to be a thread about a serrated slicer!

Robin, do you know what steel the saw blades are?

4. Nov 19, 2018 #4

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

No, I do have approximate analysis of everything but carbon content (one of those xray guns they use at metal scrapyards), and I know how it heat treats. So I think it's in the 0,7-0,8 range C. It quenches to 67-68 as max tested (which is a bit high for ~0,7C, but still I don't believe it's a ~1%C steel but I guess it's possible) I run it tempered to 63-64 and it seems to perform well there. So, high hardness, low alloy carbon steel. ~0,2-0,3 Cr, ~0,7 Mn.