How delicate are end grain cutting boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

Studying end grain boards there is a lot of talk that if you dont clean any water off them immediately after use that they can crack. Im not rough or abusive but ive had one board crack on me already due to nothing more than cleaning it under a running tap and not drying it well enough.

Should i steer clear of real wood and goto a synthetic board ?

Alan

What kind of wood was the board? How thick was it? Who was the maker?

Where did you see "a lot of talk" ?

What kind of wood was the board? How thick was it? Who was the maker?

I beleive it is maple, not sure of the maker, it was purchased from a reputable professional cookware shop, not high street

A good end grain cutting board shouldn't crack on you. For the price of a good knife, you should be able to buy a great board that lasts for decades, if it's properly cared for.

If made well,end-grain boards are very durable and will last decades with minimum care. You can't get a better surface for cutting than end-grain board from woods like walnut, maple, cherry and even white oak. Thickness 2".

M

You can read all sorts of stuff out there on the interwebs!

If an end-grain board is not treated with oil, and comes in contact with water and absorbs some (say, you got an untreated board and decided to wash it), it will warp.

If it bothers you enough, just buy a poly board and some Shuns. You can put both in the dishwasher! That's what they told me at Williams-Sonoma.

Sticky this board stuff, if it isn't already...

... seriously. :slaphead:

Keep it well oiled and you'll be fine. My board has survived several encounters with Pesky. 'Nuff said. ...and it has the scars to prove it.

My wife has left plenty of puddles on my board, it never cracks or warps. Some even sit long enough to evaporate if we are on different schedules, never a problem. Mineral oil and board wax.

My wife has left plenty of puddles on my board, it never cracks or warps. Some even sit long enough to evaporate if we are on different schedules, never a problem. Mineral oil and board wax.

bingo.

Problems will happen if a board is allowed to sit in a few drops of water while on a counter top. The water causes the wood to swell quicker than the surrounding dryer wood and cracks, splits or curls may occur. Water left on top of a board rarely causes a problem.

Problems will happen if a board is allowed to sit in a few drops of water while on a counter top. The water causes the wood to swell quicker than the surrounding dryer wood and cracks, splits or curls may occur. Water left on top of a board rarely causes a problem.

OK, Thanks

Thats what happened, the bottom of the board warped and cracked, The answer to this issue then is to buy a board with feet to ensure circulation all around ?

Correct ?

Alan

The thicker the board the more forgiveness (assuming it is made well), but I have some thinner boards and they are more sensitive to moisture. I have had almost no problems though because I take care of them well. I place the boards on rubber matts that I cut to fit (I don't like fee) , dry my boards relatively quickly, keep them oiled, and store them properly.

But in the summer I have cut some very juicy tomatoes on them (the thinner ones) and left the tomatoes too long. Some some warpage occurred in this case, but they always 'bounced' back. Just remember that moisture isn't just water -- it can also be juicy summer fruit.

If you don't have feet on a board, you can also use thinner rubbermaid matts.

k.

My "board" is 24" x 24" x 16" of rock maple. Ain't gonna warp or split anytime soon.

James

Or a work bench.

The thing weighs nearly 300lbs. To move it, I have to gently lay it over on it's side, then turn it up-side-down - so that the center of gravity is on the bottom and then tip it up a little so I can wedge a hand truck under it, tilt it back and Bob's your uncle! Got it at an auction for $130 about 30 years ago.

James

get some Board Butter (Mineral oil + Bees wax mixture) = water and moisture bead right up on the surface

Or a woodworking bench!

OOps! He beat me to it!

My advice, for what it's worth.
An end grain board made from dry hardwood around 2 inches thick will last forever.
.....if you keep it oiled with cutting board oil or mineral oil, whenever it starts to look dull.
Don't leave it to soak in water, don't leave it in direct sunlight or put it in the oven.
With a little care dry after using, that sort of thing.
Be careful about buying made in China wood products. Think of that like Pakistan steel.

The board you had crack... it was end-grain?
This sounds more like a very common edge-grain board issue.
It's not such a frequent issue with end-grain. The stresses are distributed differently. Also its possible an end-grain board may recover from small cracks, whereas they continue to grow along the edge-grain.

Back