How do you bend knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I sent three knives off to Murray Carter for a spa day and he called me and told me they were all bent. Murray was able to fix them and work his magic, but it still leaves me wondering how did I bend these knives? They were all more than 10 years old without going to Someone for sharpening, but I'm curious how do you bend a mighty Wat 240 in particular? Is it use or sharpening?
Bob

Hi,
I sent three knives off to Murray Carter for a spa day and he called me and told me they were all bent. Murray was able to fix them and work his magic, but it still leaves me wondering how did I bend these knives? They were all more than 10 years old without going to Someone for sharpening, but I'm curious how do you bend a mighty Wat 240 in particular? Is it use or sharpening?
Bob

there's a better than not chance they were bent from the beginning. it can sometimes be a lot, or sometimes be not very much.

if you are really particular about sharpening, making sure the edge is REALLY straight is kind of like making sure your stones are PERFECTLY flat without a single hint of a low spot. not _strictly_ necessary but you didnt send your knives to Carter for mediocre sharpening, did you?

there's a better than not chance they were bent from the beginning. it can sometimes be a lot, or sometimes be not very much.

if you are really particular about sharpening, making sure the edge is REALLY straight is kind of like making sure your stones are PERFECTLY flat without a single hint of a low spot. not _strictly_ necessary but you didnt send your knives to Carter for mediocre sharpening, did you?
All three though? And Hoss was pretty particular about his knives. But you're right, I used Mr. Carter for the stuff I wanted done right.
Maybe it's my block- it loads the knives horizontally and going in and out quickly could put a load on the knife.

San mai knives can bend over time, especially near the tip. I guess it's not that hard to bend the cladding, and the cladding keeps the core bent, which would otherwise spring back? Some of the time you can just bend them back by hand.

Could be sharpening, I guess, if you're using a lot of pressure, or use. Some of my knives used to get bent near the tip from taking them off and on a strong mag strip, I think.

Back