How do you determine the greatness of a gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

EricEricEric

Reaction score
How sharp can it get and how long does it hold that sharpness, tells me everything I need to know

Reaction score
At the risk of being "that guy", I have to dedicate to using it for a couple weeks. In that time, the knife will encounter a variety of ingredients with different requirements.

A knife can scare a giant carrot in two with just a wave over it, but if it's too delicate to hold up to a full meal prep, then that impacts my opinion.

blokey

Reaction score
At the risk of being "that guy", I have to dedicate to using it for a couple weeks. In that time, the knife will encounter a variety of ingredients with different requirements.

A knife can scare a giant carrot in two with just a wave over it, but if it's too delicate to hold up to a full meal prep, then that impacts my opinion.
I think this is the best answer, it is hard to determine just by few products, the style of cook and environment also play a big factor.

timebard

Reaction score
I think this is the best answer, it is hard to determine just by few products, the style of cook and environment also play a big factor.

Yeah, realistically I keep or pass on a knife based on how it works in the produce I prep most often. Carrots and apples for wedging, tomato and pepper skins for edge taking and retention, mincing garlic and horizontal onion swipes for tip performance. I do like to test drive new knives on sweet potatoes, but if I only kept the knives that really nail that test I wouldn't have very many knives.

Pie

Reaction score

“That guy” might be right. I look for greatness in what I expect l - I know a chunky gyuto won’t whisper through carrots, but the crazy thin one will chip up going through a case of pineapple. It’s what meets my expectations for specific applications.

To answer the question tho, grind and profile would be my general indicators of what I would consider for greatness.

Reaction score
What are your tests to determine how great a gyuto knife really is? Specifically, what proteins or produces tell you how bad, good, or great a knife is when you cut them?
It is all personal and depends on what you cut and how you cut. Cut the stuff you usually cut and see if the knife works for you. If you don't eat potatoes you won't care how well a knife cuts them.
It must cut the finest cigarette paper.

Seriously, a mix of stuff.
But it is useless if it can't shave.

Perverockstar

Reaction score
If the knife goes through a whole round of prep for the restaurant, then the knife is good for me. That includes: onions, raw and very lean beef meat, lime wedges, cilantro and iceberg lettuce chiffonade, tortilla chips, ripe tomatoes, nopales, pork belly and shoulder... If the knife goes through all of that while feeling comfortable, fast and effective while holding the edge, then it is a good gyuto for me.

Funny... My two knives that go through all of that and are still ready for more are my Makoto Kurasaki Ryusei and my super duper old Shun Premier.

Reactions: Pie

shinyunggyun

Reaction score
If the knife goes through a whole round of prep for the restaurant, then the knife is good for me. That includes: onions, raw and very lean beef meat, lime wedges, cilantro and iceberg lettuce chiffonade, tortilla chips, ripe tomatoes, nopales, pork belly and shoulder... If the knife goes through all of that while feeling comfortable, fast and effective while holding the edge, then it is a good gyuto for me.

Funny... My two knives that go through all of that and are still ready for more are my Makoto Kurasaki Ryusei and my super duper old Shun Premier.
It makes you wonder why people feel the need to go as far as spending over 1k for a Kato workhorse. For what?

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I'll knock out a qt or 2 of mire poix or trinity with a new knife and pretty much can tell if it's a keeper. If I like it, it then gets a trip to work to be the "only" knife for a day or two.

Jeff

Reaction score
What are your tests to determine how great a gyuto knife really is? Specifically, what proteins or produces tell you how bad, good, or great a knife is when you cut them?

Onion, Sweet Potato & Potato (Russet)

Onion to determine how much of a laser it is

Sweet Potato to determine wedging

Potato (Russet) to determine release

Reaction score
Cut a bunch of stuff and decide how much I like it. sometimes I’ll find that a given knife is particularly good for a certain product or task, or particularly not good; in that case I’ll make sure to have it around or have something else around, respectively, when I need to do the thing in question

Reaction score
I haven't worked in restaurants since college so it's all home cook stuff for me. My best gyutos are the ones that cut pretty much anything without fuss, low food stiction, keep a decent edge, and most of all just are balanced right to be able to use while chatting with my wife, and drinking a glass of wine without even having to think about he knife in my hand.

Reaction score
compare against a wat pro 180
see how short it comes up
haha
This 👆

I love my Wat so much, but I worry about it at night. Sometimes I hear my other knives plotting against it. I really don’t have anything that cuts as well. I’d say Yoshikane SKD is close, and I finally have a Takeda “small” gyuto coming on Thursday that I hope might give it a run for the money.

But yeah, what a great nakiri.

PS - love your Insta name, just followed. 🤣