How do you gauge store brand and retailer lines?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many knife makers have well defined lines that are familiar on this forum... However, a number of stores and retailers have their own lines....

Is there any way to navigate these store or retailer brands, especially if you have less experience gauging how a knife will perform? ....
I thought it was a good question, and the short answer, from the previous responses, is “you don’t.” If I followed some of the suggestions I’d be laughed out of KKF for the junk I list in BST.

I’ve tried that Tanaka at Razorsharp. It’s a really awesome knife. Just get it. If you don’t like it, buy up my TF Denka, I guarantee satisfaction with that 😉

Just curious, OP do you own any knives? I suppose one could get by well enough in the kitchen with only scissors.

Denka is life.

1596606309572.png

Heh

@josemartinlopez is obviously a troll at this point. Probably would be best to stop feeding it.

Yeah, it's becoming more obvious as time goes on, I think you're right.

@josemartinlopez is obviously a troll at this point. Probably would be best to stop feeding it.
Well, one theory that's floating around is they're writing a book.

I'm actually thinking they're trying to write some app that'll provide a solution to a problem we don't have but they think we might.

Jose is just excited about this new knifeworld he has discovered.

He's like a black hole, he's gonna suck all of our knowledge into him. Cut some corners of knife game while at it and buy few perfects knifes for him. Instead of dozens we others use before we settle down and know what we actually like and prefer.

So laugh is on us in the end.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Since you are in singapore try Kitchin Tools. Ben, the owner, a great guy to deal with, you can ask him any questions you have. Will even deliver to you for free. 10% discount for new customer. He has Tanaka×kyuzo migaki in stock.

I just like kitchin tools customer service better than other shop here in Singapore.

Bro, it's ridiculous but Finland's post office apparently ships to most Asian cities from China to Hong Kong to Vietnam, but they specifically refuse to ship to Singapore. It's almost like Finland's post office doesn't know the difference between Singapore, Jakarta and Manila. It's insane and someone needs to send them our government's tourism video (aka Crazy Rich Asians).
I've been biting my tongue until now, but are you for real? Meant as a serious question.
Several people have spent their time offering you good advice about how to acquire information and tried to help you in your decision making by asking you pertinent questions about your preferences, wants, needs, your knife use habits, and so on.. Yet, you don't reply to any of them, in the umpteenth thread you've created in a short time window, except to complain about the Finnish postal service???
This forum is a great resource, and many people here have lots of experience which they gladly share with newcomers and those of us with less knowledge in many areas of the knife world. If you start these threads that fill up the forum pages, at least have the decency and respect to answer and use the thread for it's intended purpose.
What you're doing here is essentially creating spam, making it harder for others to navigate the forum.
I understand being new to a hobby and a forum, we were all there once, but please consider how your patterns with these types of threads will impact the willingness of forum members to reply to other new members who also have legitimate questions.

Dealing with reputable retailers who know what they are talking about is key. But do not expect them to know every brand out there or have tried this and that persons knife.

Last edited:
Yes, TF is sh1t, Toyanabe is sh1t, Kato is sh1t now.
I only use Shuns and crowdfunded knives now, they’re awesome 😎

Have you bought any of the Y tanaka’s from razor sharp? Since your profile says you are in SG - was thinking of buying one - but just got one from JNS, wonder if it’s worth it now

If the balde smith is known and he/she is a reputable person I think its almost certain that you will get a good knife. It might not be a knife for you, but a good knife never the less.

The problem comes to when neither the blade smith or sharpener are known. Then you have to trust the seller and your past experiences or the past experiences of others. That’s why this forum is gold.

Since you are in singapore try Kitchin Tools. Ben, the owner, a great guy to deal with, you can ask him any questions you have. Will even deliver to you for free. 10% discount for new customer. He has Tanaka×kyuzo migaki in stock.

I just like kitchin tools customer service better than other shop here in Singapore.
Do they have a website or link? Might try going there once this covid situation clears

I’ve tried that Tanaka at Razorsharp. It’s a really awesome knife. Just get it. If you don’t like it, buy up my TF Denka, I guarantee satisfaction with that 😉

Since you are in singapore try Kitchin Tools. He has Tanaka×kyuzo migaki in stock.

Have you bought any of the Y tanaka’s from razor sharp? Since your profile says you are in SG - was thinking of buying one - but just got one from JNS, wonder if it’s worth it now
Razorsharp Singapore Y Tanakas - Yoshikazu Tanaka

Hey @lemeneid, @F-Flash, can you describe your Razorsharp Yoshikazu Tanaka (White #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm, Sakai Kikumori, Gokujyo Series)? The three guys who posted here who say they have it seem to like the heavier knives. The Razorsharp Tanaka 240mm weighs about 185g, while the Hitohira choices seem lighter and weigh about 150g.

Well he hasn't moved up to honyaki and custom Western makers yet.
@F-Flash gave me some pointers, don't worry.

Razorsharp Singapore Y Tanakas - Yoshikazu Tanaka

Hey @lemeneid, @F-Flash, can you describe your Razorsharp Yoshikazu Tanaka (White #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm, Sakai Kikumori, Gokujyo Series)? The three guys who posted here who say they have it seem to like the heavier knives. The Razorsharp Tanaka 240mm weighs about 185g, while the Hitohira choices seem lighter and weigh about 150g.

@F-Flash gave me some pointers, don't worry.
What knives do you currently have? That’s immensely helpful in figuring out a good match for you.

TBH, I have no idea what your taste in knives are.

...asking you pertinent questions about your preferences, wants, needs, your knife use habits, and so on.. Yet, you don't reply to any of them, in the umpteenth thread you've created in a short time window, except to complain about the Finnish postal service???
Flying hog monkeys, so you're angry because you want to know what I think are the characteristics of my one, true, final, ultimate, grail knife but are also angry that I am complaining about the Finnish postal service???

You should read more, post less.

Last edited:
What people want more than your questions are your sharing of your experiences with your knives.

What made you decide to buy certain knives?
Do they work well with the cutting techniques you enjoy?
What stones do you use to sharpen?
What grit do you sharpen your knives to?
How well do your knives retain their edge?
How's the food release of your knives?

Back