How do you gauge store brand and retailer lines?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very much Ian. But I'm asking more in the context of how to think this through if you have something like the Razorsharp Tanaka Kikumori knives where you don't even have the name of the sharpener.

Beautiful Tanaka Yohei on BST by the way, probably a knife I would love over the Kyuzo you mentioned. The non-stainless finish would just make me nervous.
He did answer that for you as best he can, as did others. You can not have a full "experience or wisdom" transfer from members here. You need to read what is in the forum. A really helpful place is the threads on passarounds. You can see lots of photos of a passaround blade and read about each person's thoughts on it after they have actually used it. This can help you get a start. Ultimately, you have to experience different knives for yourself to get the answers you seek. The whole package of thought, experience, wisdom and knowledge cannot be gleaned from questions & answer sessions. If you would have read some, you would realize that some of these blacksmiths and sharpeners apprenticed for decades before they became experts. They went through a lot of trial and error to get there. The trial and error method applies to you too.

Shall we wrap this thread up...? It's not going anywhere for anyone.

Truly appreciate the sentiment, but I asked a specific question about choosing between store brands. There's a specific example on the thread: thinking between the Yoshikazu Tanaka knives carried by Razorsharp in Singapore and by Hitohira (incidentally carried by Kitchin in Singapore). Not sure why there are four pages of comments on finding The Perfect Knife and no answers to the actual question.

If you don't know, that's fine. For example, one member messaged me saying he bought one of the Razorsharp Tanakas and he doesn't actually know anything about how it was made, but it's still one of his best among a formidable collection. That's not a bad answer.

This is a good inquiry from a consumer's perspective. We don't want to make an expensive mistake. What's the difference between this Tanaka and that Tanaka from over there?

This question is justified because the Japanese knife industry is complicated.. Our trusted vendors share what details they can, but even they are often muzzled when the info is 'sensitive'. And some of them just make stuff up because admitting not knowing a truly minute detail may hurt their rep. In addition, craftsmen are only human; they have good days and bad days.. plus, the summer heat in Japan is infernal. Do you think these smiths work with full A/C? Mr.Tanaka is not a machine. The reject piles in the sharpeners' workshops are higher than you think, and you will find works by revered names here such as Shiraki, Genkai, Togashi,etc. And man, the sharperners? There are truly minute/large differences from even the same sharperner over their often extremely long careeres (just look at Fujiyama history thread by Omega).

Ergo, there is a lot of mystery about product quality wrapped in privileged facts, misinformation, and natural inconsistencies. So the guiding principle is caveat emptor, buyer beware. This forum is essential for this very reason.

But of course, there are some things the buyer can do to be 'woke' and not get swindled to an expensive purchase with big names (e.g. many Genakis are sold in horrible shapes.. but these get bought for a different reason, I suppose).

First, like what many members here said already, know what your knife preferences are. But be flexible. Your taste changes.

Second, use them at a shop that lets you, to test the geometry on denser produce such as carrots or sweet potates etc. If you can't, idk, buy&test the blades like everyone.. because the vendors might not tell you the the nuances even if they know, but most often they don't know the differences themselves. Or won't admit they don't know it.

Third, and this is the real prize, you gotta get really really good at polishing and fixing knives. I mean, better than most professionals. You gotta spend some quality time.

Truthfully, sharpening the edge tells you very little about the forging or the overall shaping/geometry of a blade. The common light reflection test for geometry, sighting the edge alignment, choil shots all have their limits. Stones reveal much more, though most sharpeners don't know how to interpret what the abrasion patterns show. But when you polish many blades with a specific intent to study the effects of different stones and achieving certain colors/polish on a surface, you may get a sense of a blade's production quality.

This method works synergistically because to get after that great stone polishing you envision, naturally you learn to straighten blades, identify warping, see tapers and understand the geometry combined with the blade's functions. You win some an lose some here. But you learn always, and this is the key to really undestanding the different brand/store labels. When one gets to a next level undestanding of sharpening, you just see the differences.. more of them anyways.

But we live in a real world with limited resources. There are truly very, very few sharpeners who have the time & knowledge to ascertain and articulate the practical differences in Tanaka forged blades sharpened by different sharpeners, by purely sharpening/polishing a bunch from multiple batches. Outside of doing this, you are making highly educated guesses. Some of these guys don't even own a knife shop or work in the knife industry. Even fewer have the will to teach/train others, and explain these things in layman's terms to the mass. Side topic; I always respected JBroida for this very reason.

To answer your specific conern, you have to pick your prospect knives, post photos of their geometry to the best of your knowledge and ability, then weigh the experts' opnions based on the photos. If you don't trust experts, you gotta learn things yourself. If then maybe things will change.. Caveat venditor?

Last edited:
Regular sized school backpack without any extra pockets. Like all the cool and uncool school aged kids have. Some even have this thing called a "Pikachu" on it.

We talking Jansport? Eastpak?

If it's a Jansport, are we talking talking that wack nylon that blew out by the end of the year, or the corduroy with the suede bottom?

Also, does the back door have cameras?

We talking Jansport? Eastpak?

If it's a Jansport, are we talking talking that wack nylon that blew out by the end of the year, or the corduroy with the suede bottom?

Also, does the back door have cameras?
My friend says, not either brand, but, like Jansport with leather bottom. The color has faded some. It's been around for a few years.

He says there's cameras in the walk-in, outside the walk-in pointed at the door. Another at the back door, inside and out, and throughout the dining area. 2 cameras on the front door.

you have to pick your prospect knives, post photos of their geometry to the best of your knowledge and ability, then weigh the experts' opnions based on the photos. If you don't trust experts, you gotta learn things yourself. If then maybe things will change.. Caveat venditor?
Yeah thanks for actually answering the question, and I understand the limits to the answers given the industry is opaque. But since, as you say, we cannot possibly all become expert sharpeners, are there more ways to make a more intelligent Guess to filter your choices before you try something, especially if not the options are available for physical testing given Covid-19 travel restrictions?

could we try the specific example floated, the Kikumori Tanakas (with detailed pictures on Razorsharp) and Hitohira Tanakas (with detailed pictures on Hitohira and other sites)? I appreciate that most of the people who responded here would not have direct experience with both lines hence the string of off topic responses trying to be funny, but hearing someone compare two specific knives draws out some common points you can use to think about other comparisons.

Or to ask the question another way, is the industry so opaque that some people just go to Tsubaya or Kiya and buy a knife they brand at a premium with the belief that these retailers would have filtered the choices very intelligently to provide a knife that meets a general set of preference you give and that you can rely on these retailers' after market service to sort any dissatisfaction? (Much like how members here have formed relationships with their area's seller?)

I need to purchase a new bed and don’t want to start a new thread. Anyone out there have a strong recommendation towards a certain one. Store brand or retailer line?
Buy the one with the TF-forged springs. It's a bit hard to tell sometimes with OEM springs, though. HTH!

I need to purchase a new bed and don’t want to start a new thread. Anyone out there have a strong recommendation towards a certain one. Store brand or retailer line?
Purple? Or that sleep zone, reclining, heating AND cooling? Oh the one with the remote for the significant other to use to make the other one stop SNORING!?!!!

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried them nor endorse them. Good day.

My friend says, not either brand, but, like Jansport with leather bottom. The color has faded some. It's been around for a few years.

He says there's cameras in the walk-in, outside the walk-in pointed at the door. Another at the back door, inside and out, and throughout the dining area. 2 cameras on the front door.

He's got to Oceans 11 it. This man needs a team.

1 idea tossed around was to fill up Cambro's with the beer. My friend says he thinks 2 green lid ones of those might fight in the backpack. But that leaves behind some beer... :eek:

Oh ****, I thought removing the actual keg was a part of the ordeal. Honestly, finding a way to fritz the cameras seems like best option.

Outside of elaborate plans involving multiple parties, or technilogical known how, I think taking it out a few at a time in his stomache is the best. "accidnetly" gunk or bump the camera and then start rapping and drinking individually. No one looks for what they don't know is missing, and by they time they realize and actually check the footage, it's too late.

Can I get blue prints?

What’s going to happen when he needs to sharpen his knives????? God forbid he gets into natural stones☠☠☠☠
Did you really have to get him started on jnats? I can see it now, "What is the best jnat, and which deity do I need to appease to get it?"

Guys what is going on on this thread?
I tried to follow and it's a total mess. First of all where are the admins? This feels like a complete mockery of the OP. I read his comments and they were some legit concerns. If you don't have any interest in the thread just move on to another topic. But just jeering and making this guy feel like crap is not ok.
From the first page there are off topic postings which are just malicious towards a guy with a question. Are these the values we treasure in this forum and community?
There is a saying: there are no stupid questions only stupid answers.
Perhaps the admins can clean this thread of the off topic mess.
An yes i have made my own mess in another thread and deserved my posts being deleted.

Hey thanks. This is mild, there was another thread where someone PM’d me to ask me for my phone number and said he wanted to call me.

Guys what is going on on this thread?
I tried to follow and it's a total mess. First of all where are the admins? This feels like a complete mockery of the OP. I read his comments and they were some legit concerns. If you don't have any interest in the thread just move on to another topic. But just jeering and making this guy feel like crap is not ok.
From the first page there are off topic postings which are just malicious towards a guy with a question. Are these the values we treasure in this forum and community?
There is a saying: there are no stupid questions only stupid answers.
Perhaps the admins can clean this thread of the off topic mess.
An yes i have made my own mess in another thread and deserved my posts being deleted.

the op has been trolling the forum. He/she/it/they are making a mockery of the forum and the people are fighting back 🤷‍♂️

OP made posts with question(s). We responded. OP creates new thread asking question(s). We responded again. Continue cycle. First time OP posts something that's not creating another thread asking questions, OP talks down about Finland mail system...

Back