How do you sharpen a bird's beak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
No joke, I can't figure out how to do it(properly) as the knife won't lay perfectly flat on my stone and if I do it one half at a time I'm worried I may develop an uneven surface on my stone.

I was gonna say that you have to hold the bird very still... [emoji16]

On a more serious note, would wrapping sandpaper around a dowel work?

Or even a PVC pipe that matches the radius of the edge?

+1 to ceramic rod, i do quick touch ups on my mother in laws birds beak knives ever once in a while, i have a rough ceramic rod, followed by a loaded leather strop that i just so happen to have stretched over the sides, that way i can use the corners to strop it afterwards, i also occasionally use it for bread knife serrations. Works well enough for the purpose

I remove steel on the edge on a chamfered stone corner ( or bevelled side) that every mm of edge is abraded on the chamfered/ beveled edge by an sweeping appropriate motion.

Have fun...Z

I thin behind the edge on automotive sandpaper, up to the very edge. Blade flat. Don't have to care much about aesthetics as these are simple peelers. Create a very small bevel with scratches perpendicular to the edge on a stone's corner à la Zitangy. Deburring: clean up one side with rough split leather or cardboard and deburr the other side with a Sieger Long-life ceramic rod, and vice versa.

use a sicke stone with rounded side, or to DIY
just wrap some 3M autmotive wet/dry papers
around a spoon handle ... works fine too...

Thank you for all the ideas, I presume once I get it sharp I won't have to do it again for a long long time

I usually buy the cheap ones tbh(3-8$) and use a hone until they really can't get anywhere throw them out or leave them at the kitchen and get a new one.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/german-asymmetry-a-peeler-knife.15749/
If the knife is used as a peeler by a right-handed, the most favourable geometry is an inverted one to what we are used to. So, left side convexed, right side as flat as possible, edge off-centered to the right. The flat, right side will lay under when peeling with the edge in your direction; the left, convexed side will help the peel coming off.
I do with peelers like Robert Herder and add a fat micro- (or mini-) bevel on the left, convexed side.

Last edited:
Hopefully not tko much of a derail... but... I never really got the point of parrot beak knives. What's the idea behind the profile? I assume that they are used for peeling? If not, what else are they used for? What advantages do they have over a veggie peeler?

Hopefully not tko much of a derail... but... I never really got the point of parrot beak knives. What's the idea behind the profile? I assume that they are used for peeling? If not, what else are they used for? What advantages do they have over a veggie peeler?
https://www.messerspezialist.de/tourniermesser.html
Has to do with the traditional presentation of vegetables in the French kitchen, where e.g. carrots are cut as bulbs. The spherical form assures an even cuisson.

It’s a great tool to peel and devein shrimp also.

By the way, if it is a cheap Herder shorten the handle to free the heel. Makes both use and maintenance much easier.

Back