How do you store your extra knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few daily drivers in my chef apron in the kitchen, and several others in a designated knife storage mini-briefcase in my garage… but I’m looking for a long term storage solution for some of my nicer knives that I plan on hanging onto for quite some time. I’m imagining a felt-lined flip-top box with designated slots with plenty of room. I could build it, but time is a luxury right now. Anyone have an idea or suggestion?

On a mag strip in the basement with the rest of my tools.
PXL_20210908_093333187.jpg

I like the vacuum sealing idea, I have have knifes rust while in VCI after a coat of oil.

Just ordered some Renaissance wax (thank you, @Moooza).

If vacuum sealing, would you also add a desiccant? I would think any moisture sealed in the bag, regardless of how minute, will still be in the bag and could react with the metal should it get through the other layers of protection.

I recommend Renaissance wax, new VCI paper (changed every two years), stored in their own knife boxes, in a larger container, with some sort of moisture absorber.

I've heard too many stories of rust being caused by being in contact with felt during long-term storage.

Thanks.

🤣 I'm not saying i won't be tempted. I've come across some gems lately though, and I'm planning on hanging on to them for my kids
Nice, I am storing them for my daughter :)
No 'gems' (as in exotic) but knives I imagine will be nice for her to use.

Curious what you're saving ;)

Last edited:
Food grade mineral oil is probably the best to use to prevent rust on your knives. I saw some food grade silicone spray awhile back, but am hesitant about mixing silicone with my food. Tempted to use WD-40, but it's a petroleum distillate, and toxic. You have to check your knives periodically, as rust can appear overnight.

One other thing, sayas are for transport, not for storage. I learned that the hard way.

I was going to post another cheeky response and say that if you really want a long term solution, nothing beats amber. But while I was thinking about the wittiest way to phrase it, my sarcasm revealed a greater truth. Clear nail polish would probably work pretty good and basically is synthetic tree resin. When you're ready to decide to use them wash it off with acetone.

I was going to post another cheeky response and say that if you really want a long term solution, nothing beats amber. But while I was thinking about the wittiest way to phrase it, my sarcasm revealed a greater truth. Clear nail polish would probably work pretty good and basically is synthetic tree resin. When you're ready to decide to use them wash it off with acetone.
Strap in folks, here we go! 🤣

q: What kind of nail polish do you guys put on your knife?
a: please fill out our nail polish on your knife questionaire.
nailpolish.jpg

You people and your 'extra knives,' meanwhile I am running a serious knife deficit! Whenever I need to cut something I only have 2 dozen blades to choose from!!!!
first world problems.jpg

Or lacquer? 🤷‍♂️

Strap in folks, here we go! 🤣

q: What kind of nail polish do you guys put on your knife?
a: please fill out our nail polish on your knife questionaire.
View attachment 141730
Actual Nail Polish Names:

"Unicorn Puke," Cult Nails
"So Many Clowns…So Little Time," OPI
"Shake Your $ Maker," Essie
"Don't Pretzel My Buttons," OPI
"In Stitches," Essie
"Kiss Me I'm Brazilian," OPI
"Today I Accomplished Zero," OPI
"Uh-oh Roll Down the Window," OPI
"Yo Soy," Wet n Wild

"My Button Fell Off"
"Ants in My Pants"
"Pumping Gas"
"Daddy's Credit Card"
"Jail Bait"
"Checkin' Into Rehab"

Come on guys... I've got like 300 knives simply stashed away in a freezer bag somewhere.

Oh... we're talking J-knives?

This word... knife... and "how many" we got, has started to confuse me lately. I actually have to remember that a knife is a knife, so much so a KNIFE is NOT necessarily A knife around here. 🤷‍♂️

Do any of you have good sources for Renaissance Wax and VCI paper? In hobbyist-friendly quantities…

For a long-term solution, I wonder how dipping the blade in melted beeswax would work? Maybe thin it out with some mineral oil to get a thinner coat?
I've actually done this, works pretty well in humid Singapore. I was also out today, and was tempted to pick up a huge dry cabinet...

I rub a layer of autosol on it and keep in a box. I have a few project knives without handles stored like this and when I take them out every six months or so to just check on them, they're all good. Not a spot of rust on them at all.

Back