How exactly do you cut your cooked steak?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
Stupid question but how exactly do you cut your cooked steak if you prefer to serve it cut? What length and type of knife works best for this one? How do you hold down the steak while you cut? Do you cut diagonally instead of perpendicular to the steak/board?

One other question, if you use your petty as a steak knife, can you be forgiven for using it to cut on your plate as you eat?

Stupid question but how exactly do you cut your cooked steak if you prefer to serve it cut? What length and type of knife works best for this one? How do you hold down the steak while you cut? Do you cut diagonally instead of perpendicular to the steak/board?

One other question, if you use your petty as a steak knife, can you be forgiven for using it to cut on your plate as you eat?

Across the grain. If I feel like using specialized knives, I use a carbon-steel sujihiki and slice via hirazukuri while immobilizing it with tongs, but my technique so far is still a slight bit off at this time as sometimes there's some dragging or deformation. If I just want to put the food on the table, then I just use a gyuto and tongs and slice it however.

What characterizes the steak dishes of Singapore?

Last edited:
Heh, maybe someone put together a local extra chili spice rub but I haven’t seen it.

would a much longer gyuto be better if you don’t have a Suji?

I'm generally against serving pre-sliced steak, but it's not like I've never done it before. Especially long knives are overkill for slicing something that's only an inch or two thick. A suji is unnecessary; any gyuto will do. Treat the steak like anything else and hold it with your hand. Wear a glove if you want to. Cut diagonally if the meat is thick enough and if that's the look you're going for.

Anyway, pre-slicing is not a good move unless you're serving a single monster steak to several people. The meat gets cold faster and loses more moisture. And the eating experience isn't as nice as cutting each bite of steak yourself.

I have never served pre cut steak, I cut mine with my pocket knife, as I have no high end steak knives.

I did a reverse sear tomahawk the other day that my Mazaki petty did a nice job on. Not sure I'd use it to cut on a plate tho! There are various different Opinel options that are dead cheap and very good for this kind of thing too.

(And yeah- I am one of those wankers who takes pictures of their food ;))

IMG-0922.jpg

I simply use a tong to hold it and slice it diagonally against the grain. Hi from Singapore too btw.

Across the grain. If I feel like using specialized knives, I use a carbon-steel sujihiki and slice via hirazukuri while immobilizing it with tongs, but my technique so far is still a slight bit off at this time as sometimes there's some dragging or deformation. If I just want to put the food on the table, then I just use a gyuto and tongs and slice it however.

What characterizes the steak dishes of Singapore?

At some cheaper food courts you can sometimes find 'mushroom sauce' that has been thickened with too much starch and ends up as a semi floppy sauce....otherwise steak here is generally not too different

270mm carbon sujihiki. use a single pulling motion for each cut, not sawing back and forth like 99% people do. 1/2" thick slices on a slight bias against the grain. meaning you dont see straight up and down or side to side lines, instead you see a bunch of weird shaped blocks bunched together.

I always serve the steaks whole, and use a set of Victorinox utility knives at the table as steak knives - no serrations so I can sharpen them easily.

Tools of the Trade $5 serrated steak knives for me. They tear up the meat so much during the cut, it’s almost like the meat has been prechewed. It’s good to be efficient. 👍

Edit: trigger alert! Or am I supposed to put this at the top of the post?

Last edited:
Tools of the Trade $5 serrated steak knives for me. They tear up the meat so much during the cut, it’s almost like the meat has been prechewed. It’s good to be efficient. 👍

Edit: trigger alert! Or am I supposed to put this at the top of the post?
Not rested either, I hope.

Emergency Broadcast System alert!

Back