How exactly do you cut your cooked steak?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At some cheaper food courts you can sometimes find 'mushroom sauce' that has been thickened with too much starch and ends up as a semi floppy sauce....otherwise steak here is generally not too different
"steak"...

One other question, if you use your petty as a steak knife, can you be forgiven for using it to cut on your plate as you eat?
Cheap steak knives definitely suck. I’ve never owned a nice one. Steak knife profile is likely more appropriate for cutting on the plate. Petty feels kinda awkward using it like so.

There are some restaurants in Hong Kong which serve steaks on hot cast iron plates. I doubt you want to use good steak knifes to cut those steaks.
1_1024.jpg

You can cut them however you like, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, against or with the grain. You can use scissors, a machete, folding knife, katana, a honyaki quenched in the tears of unicorns, or even your bare hands.

But you DO not cook them well done, end of...

Last edited:
I hardly ever eat steak, since my wife doesn’t like it.... when I do, I’ll just use a small cutting board as a plate and use a Tanaka ginsan petty to do the cutting.

For on-plate sausages, I do actually use the horrible $5 tools of the trade serrated knives mentioned above. :)

image.jpg

I like these little eel knives. I forget who makes them, but I have 3 and guests really like using them. I might pick up a few more. I think these are white steel and they sharpen really easily (and are fun to polish). I maintain these on a soft iromono stone that leaves a really nice toothy edge that is great for grilled or crusty meats.

Never had any issues with chipping, and slices steak like butter.

And after lunch..

Wish I had seen the Opinel's before I bought my Victorinox knives - really like that (modern?) clean look.

I like these little eel knives. I forget who makes them, but I have 3 and guests really like using them. I might pick up a few more. I think these are white steel and they sharpen really easily (and are fun to polish). I maintain these on a soft iromono stone that leaves a really nice toothy edge that is great for grilled or crusty meats.

And after lunch..

this is actually pretty cool

Well rested and against the grain. I prefer to cut as I eat but for presentation, sliced on the bias and fanned.

Stupid question but how exactly do you cut your cooked steak if you prefer to serve it cut? What length and type of knife works best for this one? How do you hold down the steak while you cut? Do you cut diagonally instead of perpendicular to the steak/board?

One other question, if you use your petty as a steak knife, can you be forgiven for using it to cut on your plate as you eat?

I use whatever gyuto or suji I have handy—from 180–270 in length. Knife usually at 90 degree angle to board when cutting, steak held down with fingers.

And after lunch..

That's very cool! Let us know if you remember what they are...

I think these are white steel and they sharpen really easily (and are fun to polish). I maintain these on a soft iromono stone that leaves a really nice toothy edge that is great for grilled or crusty meats.
Aren't you worried they will react while left on the dining table?

Aren't you worried they will react while left on the dining table?

Has never been an issue as long as I clean up that night. Once I left dishes over night in the sink and when I was cleaning up the next afternoon the knives were rusted, but even then that's an easy fix. The pro tip is to rub a dot of food safe mineral oil into the blade. This will prevent it from rusting and reacting oddly, and they can sit after use for a few hours without problem, just some patina.

And just make sure there are no tomato side dishes a guest might accidentally slice into?

Back